My first time using Amtrak, and now my bag is missing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and he indicated that the leftover bag had no contact info. If it had, there would be a chance that person would have been the one that pulled the wrong bag.

Any chance is better than no chance.

So I came home last night from Arcata, CA to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving break. Everything went well except someone took my luggage. I boarded San Joaquin 714 in Martinez and got off in Bakersfield. I reported the missing luggage to Amtrak at the Bakersfield station. I even spoke with the conductor and we looked everywhere and there was a bag leftover after everyone got off (Bakersfield is the last stop) and there was bag left. It looked like mine but it was different. Unfortunately there was no info on thr bag, so I just turned it in to the station when I made the report. My bag has a tag with my contact info so I'm hoping they can contact me somehow. Amtrak told me it happens all the time, but it's still not an excuse. I'm a broke college kid and half my wardrobe is in there.

Should I call Amtrak again? Or wait for their respose? I'm not sure what to do. All I know is that my bag was still in the rack when the train stopped in Hanford. I was on car 4, I gave all this info to the station in Bakersfield as well as my contact info.
So, if you are still following this thread, did you ever get your luggage back?

So I came home last night from Arcata, CA to Los Angeles for Thanksgiving break. Everything went well except someone took my luggage. I boarded San Joaquin 714 in Martinez and got off in Bakersfield. I reported the missing luggage to Amtrak at the Bakersfield station. I even spoke with the conductor and we looked everywhere and there was a bag leftover after everyone got off (Bakersfield is the last stop) and there was bag left. It looked like mine but it was different. Unfortunately there was no info on thr bag, so I just turned it in to the station when I made the report. My bag has a tag with my contact info so I'm hoping they can contact me somehow. Amtrak told me it happens all the time, but it's still not an excuse. I'm a broke college kid and half my wardrobe is in there.

Should I call Amtrak again? Or wait for their respose? I'm not sure what to do. All I know is that my bag was still in the rack when the train stopped in Hanford. I was on car 4, I gave all this info to the station in Bakersfield as well as my contact info.
So, if you are still following this thread, did you ever get your luggage back?
Nope, and Amtrak customer service is awful too.

On Indian trains, they have a wire loop under the seats to padlock your suitcase to. This worked well for my suitcase. My little bag of valuables containing camera, phones, tickets, etc which I kept near me while I slept did get pinched, but at least my suitcase of dirty laundry was safe! :)

Ed.

I've always felt a little nervous leaving my carry-ons downstairs and out of sight on the San Joaquins. Carry-on is the only option if you're traveling between stations without checked baggage service, and storage on the upper level is very limited (the overhead storage bins are too small for standard-sized carry-on suitcases). The unloved Comet Cars are superior to the California Cars in this regard.

I like the lock and chain idea but can't imagine that it would go over very well, especially on busier trains where the luggage often spills out of the bulging racks onto the floor.

Luftwaffle327: It might be worth writing a letter to the the SJJPA to let them know about the situation and how it will impact your plans for future ridership. https://www.sjjpa.com/Contact

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Devil's Advocate was on to something after all! :blink:
If you are referring to this

That being said, perhaps Amtrak's responsibility is to recognize the ease of theft on board and to include lockers or hoops for passengers to secure their bags as a result.
I'm assuming it was sarcasm. But if not, count me out. I know DA doesn't like us to report positive anecdotal evidence; but based on hundreds of trips, I'm willing to risk the current system.

That being said, perhaps Amtrak's responsibility is to recognize the ease of theft on board and to include lockers or hoops for passengers to secure their bags as a result.
I'm assuming it was sarcasm. But if not, count me out. I know DA doesn't like us to report positive anecdotal evidence; but based on hundreds of trips, I'm willing to risk the current system.
Do you want me to apologize for correctly anticipating what the OP could actually expect from Amtrak? I didn't realize that even one single dissenting voice was still too much for the blind faith spin zone to handle.

Do you want me to apologize for correctly anticipating what the OP could actually expect from Amtrak? I didn't realize that even one single dissenting voice was still too much for the blind faith spin zone to handle.
I apologize, gentlemen. As usual, I was trying to make a joke and it sailed right over the board.

The luggage didn't come back so when I said DA was onto something, I was actually referring to this post, which made me laugh:

It should show up as the person with the wrong bag want his or hers bag back. Who know the person might be your future spouse.
Who knows maybe her future spouse is a cross dressing luggage thief.

This issue should resolve itself with time.
I'm sure it will too, although it may involve buying another wardrobe.

I was visualizing a cross dressing luggage thief showing up in the same shop at the same time as the OP was there....buying a new wardrobe.

What can I say? I spend too much time alone.

The elephant in the room for this case is that the OP was targetted and the bag was intentionally stolen. I seriously doubt that it was an "honest mistake" by the person(s) who took the suitcase.

The fact that a similar case was still on the rack at journey end tends to point to a mistake rather than a deliberate theft.

As to why the case taken was not handed in later, one can only guess.

While I hope it is a cross dressing incident, it may just be a case of inertia, if you will pardon the pun. :)

Ed.

Well, wouldn't you know it. My bag disappeared on the San Joaquins between Fresno and Bakersfield today. The entire luggage rack was empty when I went to grab my bag. The station agent in Bakersfield admitted that it was probably stolen.

I'll give it a couple of days before I write to the SJJPA, but there appears to be an ongoing security issue on the San Joaquins. Something to keep in mind if your travels bring you out that way.

I appreciate your post but it would seem there is little hope of convincing the forum at large that theft of luggage on Amtrak is worth anyone's concern. Whenever people voice apprehension over thefts they're spoon fed unsubstantiated narratives about communal protection and perpetually disinterested thieves. I don't expect Amtrak staff to care what happens to me or my things but I do expect them to provide some sort of method for me to secure my own possessions. Unfortunately Amtrak's luggage areas don't provide security loops or lockers and aren't monitored by staff or passengers or cameras. Even Amtrak's top dollar sleeper compartments lack a key code or door card or any sort of external locking mechanism whatsoever, which is kind of amazing when you think about it.

I tend to keep my bag with me on the train, in the above baggage compartment where I'm sitting, or I take it with me to the lounge. :) I try to travel light so it isn't too much hassle (a medium bright aqua blue duffel bag, shouldn't confused with other bags). I'm not paranoid but I would never leave my bag at my seat (or anywhere else) and be away from it where I can't see it all day and night with people getting on and off the train the whole time, no way. Chances are it will be fine (the thief, if there is one, will take someone elses' bag lol). But this thread has me looking into little loop chain locks to carry so that I can chain my bag to the bar/post if I ever feel the need or have to leave it. Doubt Amtrak has any rules against it.

This is concerning for me. I haven't done long distance trains before, and had no idea that luggage wasn't secured somewhere. I guess I'll be keeping all my luggage in my roomette with me. Given that I'm traveling "light", anything in my luggage is something I consider important, and I certainly don't want some stranger walking away with it - by mistake or otherwise.

Are there any places inside a roomette to attach a cable lock? Is there any "security" with checked luggage? Toward the end of my trip, I could put dirty laundry in one bag and check it, just to free up space in my roomette, I suppose.

This is concerning for me. I haven't done long distance trains before, and had no idea that luggage wasn't secured somewhere. I guess I'll be keeping all my luggage in my roomette with me. Given that I'm traveling "light", anything in my luggage is something I consider important, and I certainly don't want some stranger walking away with it - by mistake or otherwise.

Are there any places inside a roomette to attach a cable lock? Is there any "security" with checked luggage? Toward the end of my trip, I could put dirty laundry in one bag and check it, just to free up space in my roomette, I suppose.
Many of us just close the curtain in the roomette so that people in the hallways can't tell if someone is in there. And, of course, hide our valuables.

Checked luggage is very secure as it rides in either a locked compartment in a passenger car or in a crew only car for baggage only.

The past few posts depict something other than reality. No need to keep your bags locked or in your possession/observation at all times.

Even when in coach, I normally leave my main luggage in the overhead and my jacket, reading material, etc. on my seat or on the seatback tray when strolling around the train, spending time in the observation car or in the diner. Never any issue.

I do deep my iPad, phone and wallet with me at all times, but other than that it would seriously decrease the enjoyment of my trip to worry about every possible scenario.

I'm sure these are someone's reality. I don't think it happens often, but it does happen, and the lack of secure baggage storage while traveling for many customers is something that they should be aware of.

I've never had an issue with luggage, but I'm starting to consider checking luggage whenever possible. I'm lucky enough to have baggage service at my most common origin point, which many customers don't have.

Checked luggage is very secure as it rides in either a locked compartment in a passenger car or in a crew only car for baggage only.
Amtrak specifically excludes valuable items and refuses to accept any liability for theft of checked baggage. I don't see why a passenger should have more faith in checked luggage than Amtrak has in their own service. Also, "crew only" is more of a paper tiger unless one of the crew is actually present to keep an eye on things.

No need to keep your bags locked or in your possession/observation at all times. Even when in coach, I normally leave my main luggage in the overhead and my jacket, reading material, etc. on my seat or on the seatback tray when strolling around the train, spending time in the observation car or in the diner. Never any issue.

... I do expect them to provide some sort of method for me to secure my own possessions. Unfortunately Amtrak's luggage areas don't provide security loops or lockers and aren't monitored by staff or passengers or cameras. Even Amtrak's top dollar sleeper compartments lack a key code or door card or any sort of external locking mechanism whatsoever, which is kind of amazing when you think about it.
Yes, it is sad. However, it is not unexpected to me that Amtrak has that attitude. Customer Service begins with management. Unfortunately, it is only the employees who care about their customers, who care about the quality of their "workmanship" and who just care, that keep the company's customer service going. It surely isn't a top down policy except on paper.

The past few posts depict something other than reality. No need to keep your bags locked or in your possession/observation at all times.

Even when in coach, I normally leave my main luggage in the overhead and my jacket, reading material, etc. on my seat or on the seatback tray when strolling around the train, spending time in the observation car or in the diner. Never any issue.

I do deep my iPad, phone and wallet with me at all times, but other than that it would seriously decrease the enjoyment of my trip to worry about every possible scenario.
Not sure we are reading the same thread, when two persons on this thread, the OP and post #39, have reported their bags stolen. Indeed the latter reports the entire luggage rack in his car was cleared out. Not sure how that translates into "No need to keep your bags locked etc."

Seems like a mixed approach might be best--keep as much as possible at your seat, keep your valuables, meds and must haves with you at ALL times, and leave as little as possible on the luggage racks, essentially things you can afford to do without.

Back