Live Chat every Sunday, 7PM Eastern

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Alan. I have it working now. The web-based client didn't work well on my Android browser, but the irc app seems to be working fine. Will try it again later tonight.

This might solve the problem of various threads going off on all sorts of rambling tangents that have little or nothing to do with the original subject...
I'd say the live chat sessions are even less structured and less related to Amtrak or trains of any type than the forum at large.
I agree with you, and I am probably one of the biggest "offenders." However, I do not think the subject matter of the chat was intended to be exclusively about trains. We talk about the weather, food, etc., and we talk about trains, once in a while. :giggle:

I participate quite often and I do not think I have ever participated when the conversation totally excluded trains. We often get new folks who have a train question that is always answered immediately, if possible.

This might solve the problem of various threads going off on all sorts of rambling tangents that have little or nothing to do with the original subject...
I'd say the live chat sessions are even less structured and less related to Amtrak or trains of any type than the forum at large.
I agree with you, and I am probably one of the biggest "offenders." However, I do not think the subject matter of the chat was intended to be exclusively about trains. We talk about the weather, food, etc., and we talk about trains, once in a while. :giggle:

I participate quite often and I do not think I have ever participated when the conversation totally excluded trains. We often get new folks who have a train question that is always answered immediately, if possible.
I couldn't participate tonight, my job is sucking up most of my time right now, but I've been on the chat a few times where nary a word was spoken about trains. Not that this is a bad thing, just something that donned on me one day. I think chat sessions are (and should be) free to go wherever they may. If that happens to include trains so much the better, but I don't see any requirement for it. Gives folks a chance to see a more casual side to their fellow members.

Last edited by a moderator:

I couldn't participate tonight, my job is sucking up most of my time right now, but I've been on the chat a few times where nary a word was spoken about trains. Not that this is a bad thing, just something that donned on me one day. I think chat sessions are (and should be) free to go wherever they may. If that happens to include trains so much the better, but I don't see any requirement for it. Gives folks a chance to see a more casual side to their fellow members.
Last night we talked about the weather for quite a while (including snow in Maine, heat in Florida, severe weather in STL). We also chatted quite a bit about trains and Amtrak.

I'm keeping a now-and-then eye on the chat room tonight, Saturday, Mar. 2... if anyone's around and wants to chat... just sayin'.

Well - don't be shy about logging on earlier than 7 Eastern... the server is up 24/7. As far as I can see, 7 pm Sundays is when there is most likely to be a group... but there is no rule against any other time.

I find it easier to participate when there are fewer people who all know each other's first names...

Oh, I am glad I read this thread .. I have missed having an IRC chat always running in the background. I will try to log in tomorrow.

yes tonight 7pm eastern time thats 4pm for those of u

on the west coast, join amtrak cajun and his merry band

of pranksters in another amtrak chat,

:hi: be there or be square :hi:

I like the Live chat thing but i want to know something though why can it be everyday when people can use it, because every Sunday seems kind of limiting you know?

Yes, it is open 24/7, but unless 2 or more agree to "meet" at a certain date and time, it will look like it's down. Sunday at 7 ET is the only "scheduled" time.

Even if one person signs on at 6:30 on Tuesday, finds no one on and signs off at 6:31, but someone signs on at 6:32 and finds no one on, both will think that "it's down"! But they just missed each other by 10 seconds!

Tom, Bill did get in eventually. And as people logged out, Charlie let others know there were "openings". Hopefully everyone will be able to get in next week.

seems to be a problem - i haven't been able to connect at all today, and i've been trying since i got home today, about three hours ago

Back