Isle Width

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullman

Train Attendant
Hello, can anyone tell me the isle width of a NEC coach isle width. I am asking so to see if our tag along luggage would fit rolling down the isle.

Thank you.

Amtrak has a limit to the size of carry-on luggage: 28" x 22" x 14" I believe (it's on their website). I don't know the aisle width exactly, but I wouldn't advise bringing anything bigger than what they say is allowed.

The aisle is approximately 30", but you should follow the guidelines for carry-on as Thunder stated above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Amtrak has any isles. They do serve Manhattan, which isn't all that wide in the grand scheme of things. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Amtrak has a limit to the size of carry-on luggage: 28" x 22" x 14" I believe (it's on their website). I don't know the aisle width exactly, but I wouldn't advise bringing anything bigger than what they say is allowed.
Since NE Regionals do not have checked baggage, what does one do if one has a bag larger than these dimensions? I have once traveled from Philadelphia to Washington DC on a Regional tugging along a big bag, the ones normally people check-in on international flights, and I was not stopped from bringing it. I placed it at the open space at one end of the car, and luckily found a vacant seat right next to it. Also, midway my train's HHP-8 died and they moved us to another train on adjacent track in the middle of nowhere, stepping down into snow and back up using those little yellow tables, and the attendant even helped me with the bag across trains.

The general consensus is that as long as you can carry it without needing help (and it can fit inside the train), you can bring it.

This isn't really official though. You will also have to hope that the empty space at the end of the car will have room for your suitcase. Most of the time it will.

I don't think Amtrak has any isles. They do serve Manhattan, which isn't all that wide in the grand scheme of things. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

That is funny, guess I was thinking too much of our January cruise & visiting the 'isles'. We are taking Northeast Regional from TRE to NYP, then off to the port & warm waters!

In general, if you can lug it on board on the NEC you can bring it on. This policy makes sense as there really isn't checked baggage available and there are no car attendants.

If there is no room in the luggage racks at the end of the car, you can drag it down the aisle and put it up above your head. The cars have a lot more room above the seat than on an airline. My suitcase easily fits above my seat on an NEC regional.

I second that Amtrak doesn't usually measure luggage and as long as you can carry it, they won't say anything. I Think Amtrak watches the quanity more than the size. I saw a guy trying to get on with 4 or 5 bags and they told him that he couldn't bring them along. He was asking people getting on the train, if you can take his bags for him.

My walker is (idk) maybe 26" wide. This past weekend, I was on both #66 (with the 2X1 seating) and a "regular" Regional (with 2X2 seating). It easily fit thru the 2X1 seats, but did not fit in the 2X2 seats at all! As stated, there is plenty of space at the end of the cars to store large bags!

I've had an oversized Rolling Duffle on multiple times. Just nearly fits through the aisle. My normal size bag which is a bit smaller then those figures and it fits through yet again with a few inches to spare.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back