Greyhound seats and fleet questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's a good question. I'd like to know the answer to that, too...

I looked at the Greyhound website to find where you saw that quotation. That's a new one on me....Looks like something their lawyers insisted be included to protect themself, 'just-in-case', of what, I don't know. Or perhaps it's "security theater", to make people think Greyhound is like airports or railway lines.

As far as photographing from the outside, if you are not on their property, I don't think there is any way they can stop you. And if you are aboard their bus, what objection could they possibly have if you shoot the scenery thru the windows?

They only possible scenario I think they would object to is someone shooting the driver doing something wrong (like texting while driving, etc.), and then putting it on youtube, thereby causing them embarrassment, and/or hurting them if there happened to be an accident as a result.

I don't think there are any proprietary procedures or trade secrets that they have to fear others from discovering...
Whaqt if you photograph a bus from inside the stationthat you are about to board? Is that illegal? What about the insterior of a bus?

Wait, you mean the G4500s regularly run NYD-DEN or just for shuttling around the country? I guess they can get from NYD to PUT by running NYD-DEN-PUT. I know there's many in the Northeast.
Those trips operate to and from the North Wing, so I rarely get the chance to see them come and go. If I remember next time, I'll try to slip over to see....
North Wing? What are you talking about?
I work in the South Wing, where New York State and Canadian trips operate, so I don't see the rest of the schedules that operate from the North Wing...

As for clarification on the photography policy....I'm afraid you will have to try to get an answer directly from Greyhound....

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's a good question. I'd like to know the answer to that, too...

I looked at the Greyhound website to find where you saw that quotation. That's a new one on me....Looks like something their lawyers insisted be included to protect themself, 'just-in-case', of what, I don't know. Or perhaps it's "security theater", to make people think Greyhound is like airports or railway lines.

As far as photographing from the outside, if you are not on their property, I don't think there is any way they can stop you. And if you are aboard their bus, what objection could they possibly have if you shoot the scenery thru the windows?

They only possible scenario I think they would object to is someone shooting the driver doing something wrong (like texting while driving, etc.), and then putting it on youtube, thereby causing them embarrassment, and/or hurting them if there happened to be an accident as a result.

I don't think there are any proprietary procedures or trade secrets that they have to fear others from discovering...
Whaqt if you photograph a bus from inside the stationthat you are about to board? Is that illegal? What about the insterior of a bus?

Wait, you mean the G4500s regularly run NYD-DEN or just for shuttling around the country? I guess they can get from NYD to PUT by running NYD-DEN-PUT. I know there's many in the Northeast.
Those trips operate to and from the North Wing, so I rarely get the chance to see them come and go. If I remember next time, I'll try to slip over to see....
North Wing? What are you talking about?
I work in the South Wing, where New York State and Canadian trips operate, so I don't see the rest of the schedules that operate from the North Wing...

As for clarification on the photography policy....I'm afraid you will have to try to get an answer directly from Greyhound....
Oh, I understand now. I'm not falimiar with PABT.

What's the differece between New York/Adirondack/Pine Hill Trailways anyway?

They used to be seperate bus lines, but now they are all consolidated into New York Trailways.
Close, but they are legally separate companies that have common ownership. Each has a separate union contract and seniority. Drivers for Adirondack Transit Lines, dba Adirondack Trailways, and Pine Hill - Kingston Bus Corp., dba Pine Hill Trailways are represented by the United Transportation Union. Passenger Bus Corp. dba New York Trailways, are represented by the Teamster's.

ADT and PHK are owned jointly by the grandson and grandaughter of the founder. NYT is owned solely by the grandson, as he started that company himself when he took over the routes, driver's, and a few buses from the former Empire Trailways in the mid 1990,s.

They used to be seperate bus lines, but now they are all consolidated into New York Trailways.
Close, but they are legally separate companies that have common ownership. Each has a separate union contract and seniority. Drivers for Adirondack Transit Lines, dba Adirondack Trailways, and Pine Hill - Kingston Bus Corp., dba Pine Hill Trailways are represented by the United Transportation Union. Passenger Bus Corp. dba New York Trailways, are represented by the Teamster's.

ADT and PHK are owned jointly by the grandson and grandaughter of the founder. NYT is owned solely by the grandson, as he started that company himself when he took over the routes, driver's, and a few buses from the former Empire Trailways in the mid 1990,s.
What about Carolina Trailways? What happened to them?

As long as you're not a nuisance and avoid annoying people, discreet photography probably isn't a problem. Check out this guy's wonderful set of Flickr photos, Riding the Dog.
Thanks for the link!

As long as you're not a nuisance and avoid annoying people, discreet photography probably isn't a problem. Check out this guy's wonderful set of Flickr photos, Riding the Dog.
Thanks for the link!
Greyhound purchased them, and finally fully absorbed them into GLI, along with other subsidiaries like Vermont Transit, a few years ago. There are still several Carolina buses in the fleet. They are numbered in the 85000 series...

Thanks for the link.

A wonderful set indeed, that really captures the essence of Greyhound long distance travel today. Great people portraits. Too bad many of the photo's were way out of focus.

Thanks for the link!
Greyhound purchased them, and finally fully absorbed them into GLI, along with other subsidiaries like Vermont Transit, a few years ago. There are still several Carolina buses in the fleet. They are numbered in the 85000 series...
Argh, it's not good to see more Big Reds go!

Another question, why are destination signs often misinformative? They sometimes don't display anything when on a revenue run or display the wrong destination.

Another question, why are destination signs often misinformative? They sometimes don't display anything when on a revenue run or display the wrong destination.
Aloha

Interesting comment. On my recent trip between LA and LV one direction was labeled "Local" they made the same stops but neither had destination signs. If one did not pay attention to the boarding location announcement one would go to the wrong city.

Aloha

Interesting comment. On my recent trip between LA and LV one direction was labeled "Local" they made the same stops but neither had destination signs. If one did not pay attention to the boarding location announcement one would go to the wrong city.
This dosen't make sense. You say that one bus was signed (labeled) "LOCAL" but neither had destination signs. So how was the bus signed if it does not have signs? :help:

Aloha

This dosen't make sense. You say that one bus was signed (labeled) "LOCAL" but neither had destination signs. So how was the bus signed if it does not have signs? :help:
Aloha

The bus heading to LA was in loading bay 5. The bus to LV was in Loading Bay 1. Neither had signs for their destination. I forget which direction, but one of them has a sign that said "LOCAL", but the stops in both directions were the same. Not in order but Victoville, Barstow, a race track in Calif, another city in LA, the Amtrak station LAUS, and the LA Greyline Terminal. The dispatchers anounced which loading bay for each destination. In LA, 2 buses for Bakersfield were in bays 5 & 6.

Destination Signs?

Oftentimes, they are not working. They are a low-priority maintenance item. And drivers lifting tickets should not board you, if it is the incorrect trip.

In terminals, since you board by assigned gates, they really are not necessary. Only for curbside loading are they truly useful. And yes, sometimes the driver simply forgets to display proper sign, or receives the bus late for some reason, and just doesn't take the time to change it...

Destination Signs?

Oftentimes, they are not working. They are a low-priority maintenance item. And drivers lifting tickets should not board you, if it is the incorrect trip.

In terminals, since you board by assigned gates, they really are not necessary. Only for curbside loading are they truly useful. And yes, sometimes the driver simply forgets to display proper sign, or receives the bus late for some reason, and just doesn't take the time to change it...
I hope they will iimprove this over time. BTW, what do you work as for ADI?

Destination Signs?

The new electronic display signs are an improvement over the curtain type signs...

I am a dispatcher for ADT. What is your occupation?

Destination Signs?

The new electronic display signs are an improvement over the curtain type signs...

I am a dispatcher for ADT. What is your occupation?
Oh, so you are dispatcher. That explains your comment about sharing Greyhound's BOSS computers.

As for me, I'm a historian, specializing in the High Middle Ages. I'm also interested in the Renaissane, but that is just an interest, not a profession.

When it comes to LD Bus Travel whatever the Company, IMO it's like S&M, some people Like it but most think its really Uncomfortable and Wouldnt be caught Dead (no Pun intended)doing it! What in the world would make someone even think about riding a LD Bus across the US or even worse, Canada??? :rolleyes:

When it comes to LD Bus Travel whatever the Company, IMO it's like S&M, some people Like it but most think its really Uncomfortable and Wouldnt be caught Dead (no Pun intended)doing it! What in the world would make someone even think about riding a LD Bus across the US or even worse, Canada??? :rolleyes:
Hmm, an enthusiasm for buses? Because I'm OK with it but I must have a rest in a hotel somewhere in between.

You've got that right. You wouldn't believe the reaction of my family when I suggested I wanted to ride Greyhound across Canada. Yup. They rolled out the crazed cannibal story. When I correctly pointed out that the cannibal decapitation was an anomaly, they trotted out warnings about bedbugs.

What the heck is it with bedbug hysteria these days? A friend at work told me last week that because her mother had read about bedbug problems in New York City, that when her brother visited from Manhattan, he wasn't permitted to enter the house until he had gone into the garage, secured his baggage in plastic garbage bags and then taken off his clothes for quick laundering. :eek:

IMHO: :eek:hboy: While a few people like being packed like sardines in a metal container, most people don't. While it is true most folks will tolerate it when flying - in the name of quickness - it takes a special kind of masochist to enjoy it at groung level for days upon days upon days without seeing an end in sight. :ph34r:

Back