Greyhound seats and fleet questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, it seems that the G4500s are running on 509 and 502.
Are you refering to the Timetable numbers? 502=Spokane-Portland, 509=Seattle-Stanfield/Missoula........?

I think they should run 'em on their Tex-Mex services.....from where they originated. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, it seems that the G4500s are running on 509 and 502.
Are you refering to the Timetable numbers? 502=Spokane-Portland, 509=Seattle-Stanfield/Missoula........?

I think they should run 'em on their Tex-Mex services.....from where they originated. ;)
Yup, timetable numbers. I don't think all the G4500s are here, though. I just have many, many pieces of evidence that they are around here, like:

1. Google Street View with G4500 arrving in Seattle.

2. YouTube videos showing buses in Moses Lake and in Montana, so that must be on the 509.

3. Flickr picture of G4500 in The Dalles, I think. Roll sign says Spokane so must be 502.

4. Got some other pictures, too, just can't remember.

Interesting....I had heard they were pretty much 'out West', your info, if the views are recent, confirms that.

Interesting....I had heard they were pretty much 'out West', your info, if the views are recent, confirms that.
It would be really nice to know where the other G4500s are. There can only be a few on the 502/509, as those routes don't need many buses. Maybe 601?

Anybody that knows please respond, if you don't know it's OK.

I hear that they tend to run G4500's between Seattle and Vancouver BC.
OK, so it looks like G4500s are based in sEattle. I would assume they run to Portland too becuase they were spotted on 502 Portland-Spokane.

Greyhound isn't upgrading the G4500s, are they? There's a picture of one in the new livery on Greyhound's site, but nothing elsewhere. I haven't spotted one in Neoclassical Blue either.

Maybe the one Greyhound repainted for the pictures got burned already. :eek: That's considering how many G4500s have already burned.

I'm enjoying this thread about Greyhound -- and especially the LD routes. Sometime soon, I'm hoping to ride Greyhound across most of the Trans-Canada Highway. I do recall reading recently that there's a move afoot to cut back on some bus service in our neighbor to north. Any word on whether LD routes might be affected?

Much of my interest in such a trip is fueled by

I'm enjoying this thread about Greyhound -- and especially the LD routes. Sometime soon, I'm hoping to ride Greyhound across most of the Trans-Canada Highway. I do recall reading recently that there's a move afoot to cut back on some bus service in our neighbor to north. Any word on whether LD routes might be affected?

As someone who has ridden a Canadian Greyhound from Vancouver to Winnipeg, let me urge you to limit your Bus trip to the Vancouver to Calgary or Vancouver to Edmonton part of the Trans Can! It's a Loooooooooooooong way across the Praries in Canada, Nebraska X 4 would be a good Comparison and if you want to experience the Great Shiled in Ontario and the Praries ride the Caandian from Toronto to Edmonton, then consider taking the Long Dog to Vancouver! Trust me, youll be glad you did! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Well, they are refurbing the fleet that they have. I have seen a G-45 in the new livery passing through. It was being used as an extra bus on a run westbound to El Paso *that is a heavily used route here *New Orleans to El Paso*. The body itself was in bad shape, its seen a wreck or two obviously. That poor bus got "dogged". If anyone wants to slap me for that lame pun, I understand completely haha.

The G4500's are no longer produced at all, so once they are either burned up, wrecked, or destroyed from lack of maintenance, then thats it, no more G4500's.

The new D4505's and X-3's are the new replacements. Greyhound stated that they will be replacing the entire fleet eventually. Greyhound also stated that they are starting to build more intermodal terminals so passengers can connect with Amtrak and other train services as well.

Hey....thanks so much for providing that link! I watched a couple, and had to tear myself away, or I would not get anything else done! Will go back and watch some more when I get a chance.

It would be really nice to know where the other G4500s are. There can only be a few on the 502/509, as those routes don't need many buses. Maybe 601?

Anybody that knows please respond, if you don't know it's OK.
Well a couple of them were in 'The Port' today....7038 and 7142 or 3, IIRC....

One of them was out of service for some reason. Maintenance supervisor told me he can't wait to get rid of them..,

I cant wait to see them disappear either. Once Greyhound places more orders for the new X'3's and D4505's, you will see the G models get phased out. I talked to a female driver the other day who pulled up in an X-3 here at the terminal, and I asked her how she liked the X-3, she smiles and says "Its alot better than those G series, thats for sure!", we both laughed. I wished her a safe run in the X-3 and off she went.

Im not sure how quickly Greyhound can place orders with MCI and Prevost, but apparently they are ordering the new buses as quickly as they can. Im starting to see the newer buses more and more as the months roll by.

Eric, as per Greyhound, anything over 350 miles is considered Long Distance. For example, there is a run from New Orleans to Shreveport Louisiana, this is considered a Local run. its 341 miles, so almost an LD run but not quite.

There is no real way to know where Greyhound will stick buses, except in certain cases *Bolt buses will stay in the Northeast* that sorta thing.

Most of the time, the decision is made based on whats available in the pool of buses waiting in the lot, out of the ones that arent in need of maintenance.

Lets say there are 4 buses available for the New Orleans to El Paso run. an X3, a D4505, a D4500, or a G4500..

If the G4500 needs maintenance, then that bus is not considered, so one bus down.

Lets say the D4500 got a transmission complaint by the driver upon its return from another run, well that bus isnt going anywhere because it will need to be looked at. *maintenance mode* Two buses down.

Now its between the X-3 and the D4505. Which one can be cleaned, inspected, and cleared to roll? If its the X-3, then that is the one chosen.

Now, if both buses are ready to roll, are there enough passengers to send both the X3 and the D4505 out on the same run? If yes, then the D4505 will be set up as the extra bus.

If the D4505 is spoken for on another run for instance New Orleans to Miami run, then so be it, the X3 goes it alone from New Orleans to El Paso.

I have seen Greyhound pull a bus out of Baton Rouge as an extra. I have also seen buses get completely replaced at Baton Rouge for various technical reasons.

I have driver friends who explained this as best as they could. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, as per Greyhound, anything over 350 miles is considered Long Distance. For example, there is a run from New Orleans to Shreveport Louisiana, this is considered a Local run. its 341 miles, so almost an LD run but not quite.

There is no real way to know where Greyhound will stick buses, except in certain cases *Bolt buses will stay in the Northeast* that sorta thing.

Most of the time, the decision is made based on whats available in the pool of buses waiting in the lot, out of the ones that arent in need of maintenance.

Lets say there are 4 buses available for the New Orleans to El Paso run. an X3, a D4505, a D4500, or a G4500..

If the G4500 needs maintenance, then that bus is not considered, so one bus down.

Lets say the D4500 got a transmission complaint by the driver upon its return from another run, well that bus isnt going anywhere because it will need to be looked at. *maintenance mode* Two buses down.

Now its between the X-3 and the D4505. Which one can be cleaned, inspected, and cleared to roll? If its the X-3, then that is the one chosen.

Now, if both buses are ready to roll, are there enough passengers to send both the X3 and the D4505 out on the same run? If yes, then the D4505 will be set up as the extra bus.

If the D4505 is spoken for on another run for instance New Orleans to Miami run, then so be it, the X3 goes it alone from New Orleans to El Paso.

I have seen Greyhound pull a bus out of Baton Rouge as an extra. I have also seen buses get completely replaced at Baton Rouge for various technical reasons.

I have driver friends who explained this as best as they could. :D
Good job. Wait, what happens when both buses are ready to roll and there's no room for an extra? I bet it happens a lot, so what happens?

Really though, what I'm trying to find out is where the G4500s are pooled. I just don't wanna get on a bus that'll catch fire in a pinch. Sure, I can't access a BOSS computer, but at least some spotter info would help.

One thing I've always wondered, can you call a dispatcher and see what bus is on your run?

Really though, what I'm trying to find out is where the G4500s are pooled. I just don't wanna get on a bus that'll catch fire in a pinch. Sure, I can't access a BOSS computer, but at least some spotter info would help.

One thing I've always wondered, can you call a dispatcher and see what bus is on your run?
As much as I dislike the G's, I would not be overly concerned about one catching on fire while I was aboard. It is just not that common an occurence...

If it were, the Federal Highway Administration would "ground" them, until the problem was cured.

Dispatcher's numbers are private, for employee use only. And even if you could call, they don't always have the bus assigned until the last moment.

If you were boarding a long distance bus enroute, you might be able to find out what bus started the trip, but even then, the bus could be 'cut', and another substituted for whatever reason at servicing points along the way.

Sorry I could not help more.....

Exactly railiner. A bus can be taken out of, or put into service at any point in route.

I had a bus out of El Paso that was supposed to go all the way to Los Angeles, but got changed out in Phoenix due to oil pressure problems. A bus can break down in route, so the bus that arrives into a city may not be the intended bus, it could be a replacement bus sent to rescue stranded passengers as well.

Greyhound changes things frequently and without reason, so spotters can only tell you what we see after a bus reaches our terminals.

For example Swadian, lets say you lived in Houston, and I knew you were catching a bus on a Tuesday evening westbound for San Antonio TX. Well, I can go down to the terminal here in Lafayette Tuesday morning, and spot the westbound buses coming through, and I could message you and say, Ok, there are no G models heading to Houston. Its an X-3, D4505, and another X-3 heading your way. Being that this decision is made in New Orleans *beginning of the run*, all I can do is tell you whats rolling through at this point. Even if you had a spotter in New Orleans terminal, they still could only tell you what buses are departing there, which would be the same buses rolling through Lafayette as well that day.

Greyhound also tends to shift their pools as need be, so I could tell you that G's are "pooled" in X city, but next month, GLI can move them to Y city and pool them there.

I hope I didnt confuse anyone here. Haha.

Anyway, what about when two buses are ready with no room for an extra? Which one is used?

How common are extras? I seldomly see one.
Not sure what you mean in your first sentence...

As for extra section's....come and visit us at The Port during most weekends, and especially during holiday's!

During Canadian holiday's, we sometimes run seven or more extra sections on a schedule. Or whenever the colleges go on recess.

As for selecting which bus to run....they are selected from whatever is readily available from the proper pool. Equipment wise, you can have both X-3's or D4500's in the same pool, so it is just random luck. And when it really gets busy, we run whatever we can, proper pool or not. This leads to sometimes 'exotic' and rare buses showing up at strange locations. For example, at various times, New York Trailways buses are pooled with Greyhound on schedules in New York state. Once in a while, they may end up 'off-pool', on a Boston-Albany-Buffalo-Cleveland-Chicago trip. A rare sight to see a NY Trailways bus in Boston or Chicago, not on a charter.

And if hard pressed for equipment, it could even go beyond those points, until things return to normal, and is sent back 'home'.

Regarding the G's that show up in NYC now, they are mostly sent 'back' on New York-St. Louis/Denver trips.

Anyway, what about when two buses are ready with no room for an extra? Which one is used?

As for extra section's....come and visit us at The Port during most weekends, and especially during holiday's!

During Canadian holiday's, we sometimes run seven or more extra sections on a schedule. Or whenever the colleges go on recess.

As for selecting which bus to run....they are selected from whatever is readily available from the proper pool. Equipment wise, you can have both X-3's or D4500's in the same pool, so it is just random luck. And when it really gets busy, we run whatever we can, proper pool or not. This leads to sometimes 'exotic' and rare buses showing up at strange locations. For example, at various times, New York Trailways buses are pooled with Greyhound on schedules in New York state. Once in a while, they may end up 'off-pool', on a Boston-Albany-Buffalo-Cleveland-Chicago trip. A rare sight to see a NY Trailways bus in Boston or Chicago, not on a charter.

And if hard pressed for equipment, it could even go beyond those points, until things return to normal, and is sent back 'home'.

Regarding the G's that show up in NYC now, they are mostly sent 'back' on New York-St. Louis/Denver trips.
Wait, you mean the G4500s regularly run NYD-DEN or just for shuttling around the country? I guess they can get from NYD to PUT by running NYD-DEN-PUT. I know there's many in the Northeast.

New question: Greyhound says that, "Photography, video or audio recording of Greyhound personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited." So does that mean it is prohbited to photograph Greyhound buses from the exterior?

New question: Greyhound says that, "Photography, video or audio recording of Greyhound personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited." So does that mean it is prohbited to photograph Greyhound buses from the exterior?
Now that's a good question. I'd like to know the answer to that, too...

I looked at the Greyhound website to find where you saw that quotation. That's a new one on me....Looks like something their lawyers insisted be included to protect themself, 'just-in-case', of what, I don't know. Or perhaps it's "security theater", to make people think Greyhound is like airports or railway lines.

As far as photographing from the outside, if you are not on their property, I don't think there is any way they can stop you. And if you are aboard their bus, what objection could they possibly have if you shoot the scenery thru the windows?

They only possible scenario I think they would object to is someone shooting the driver doing something wrong (like texting while driving, etc.), and then putting it on youtube, thereby causing them embarrassment, and/or hurting them if there happened to be an accident as a result.

I don't think there are any proprietary procedures or trade secrets that they have to fear others from discovering...

Wait, you mean the G4500s regularly run NYD-DEN or just for shuttling around the country? I guess they can get from NYD to PUT by running NYD-DEN-PUT. I know there's many in the Northeast.
Those trips operate to and from the North Wing, so I rarely get the chance to see them come and go. If I remember next time, I'll try to slip over to see....

Now that's a good question. I'd like to know the answer to that, too...

I looked at the Greyhound website to find where you saw that quotation. That's a new one on me....Looks like something their lawyers insisted be included to protect themself, 'just-in-case', of what, I don't know. Or perhaps it's "security theater", to make people think Greyhound is like airports or railway lines.

As far as photographing from the outside, if you are not on their property, I don't think there is any way they can stop you. And if you are aboard their bus, what objection could they possibly have if you shoot the scenery thru the windows?

They only possible scenario I think they would object to is someone shooting the driver doing something wrong (like texting while driving, etc.), and then putting it on youtube, thereby causing them embarrassment, and/or hurting them if there happened to be an accident as a result.

I don't think there are any proprietary procedures or trade secrets that they have to fear others from discovering...
Whaqt if you photograph a bus from inside the stationthat you are about to board? Is that illegal? What about the insterior of a bus?

Those trips operate to and from the North Wing, so I rarely get the chance to see them come and go. If I remember next time, I'll try to slip over to see....
North Wing? What are you talking about?

Back