Greyhound seats and fleet questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New question: Is there any way to see what equipment Greyhound will use for a run? Right now I just go to the station and bet it's not a G4500.
It would depend somewhat on where you were going, but in general from New York it's most likely going to be a Prevost X-3, or a refurbed MCI DL-3. Equipment are grouped in numbered "pools", that carry all the required licenses and permits for the territory they will operate. The maintenance supervisor will select any convenient bus from the proper pool to fulfill each schedule. They are not on a 'loop type' pool like was used at one time, where buses were assigned a 'home garage', and followed a specific rotation of schedules until returning to their home garages for maintenance. Back then, you knew in advance which buses were likely to show up. Now it is more random.
Is there any way to know which buses go in what pool?

New question: Is there any way to see what equipment Greyhound will use for a run? Right now I just go to the station and bet it's not a G4500.
It would depend somewhat on where you were going, but in general from New York it's most likely going to be a Prevost X-3, or a refurbed MCI DL-3. Equipment are grouped in numbered "pools", that carry all the required licenses and permits for the territory they will operate. The maintenance supervisor will select any convenient bus from the proper pool to fulfill each schedule. They are not on a 'loop type' pool like was used at one time, where buses were assigned a 'home garage', and followed a specific rotation of schedules until returning to their home garages for maintenance. Back then, you knew in advance which buses were likely to show up. Now it is more random.
Is there any way to know which buses go in what pool?
Sure, if you have access to a GL 'BOSS' computer terminal, that is. :)

Now that I think of it, Greyhound may have axed LD service because each bus needed too many permits in one pool, making things hard to manage and costing more money. I do wonder, how much does it cost for a operating license?

OK, well, does anybody know where the G4500s and D4505s are? I can't access their dispatch computers but at least I can get some spotter reports. I usually see 102DL3s all the time, not much else.

Thanks!

Now that I think of it, Greyhound may have axed LD service because each bus needed too many permits in one pool, making things hard to manage and costing more money. I do wonder, how much does it cost for a operating license?
On the contrary, assigning buses to pools reduces licensing costs, as only the number of buses required, plus a few spares are licensed to fulfill schedule requirements.

As to costs, I cannot anwer.

OK, well, does anybody know where the G4500s and D4505s are? I can't access their dispatch computers but at least I can get some spotter reports. I usually see 102DL3s all the time, not much else.

Thanks!
I don't know where "Praven" is located, but here in The City, we see equally DL3's, and X-3's, and occasionly MC-12's, G4500's, D4505's, or 102D's, although the latter mentioned are seen less and less. I have heard the G's are mostly 'out west' (thank goodness)....

Thanks!
I don't know where "Praven" is located, but here in The City, we see equally DL3's, and X-3's, and occasionly MC-12's, G4500's, D4505's, or 102D's, although the latter mentioned are seen less and less. I have heard the G's are mostly 'out west' (thank goodness)....
Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately I still need to know about other areas, since I mainly ride buses where trains are too expensive or poorly timed, but anyway, I've also wondered if Greyhound has a Northern Division. Apparently they don't. If so, why not?

Thanks!
Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately I still need to know about other areas, since I mainly ride buses where trains are too expensive or poorly timed, but anyway, I've also wondered if Greyhound has a Northern Division. Apparently they don't. If so, why not?
Not sure just what you mean by 'Northern Division'....

Greyhound Lines, Inc., has been a single 'division', since the last consolidation of Greyhound Lines East, and Greyhound Lines West, in the mid 1970's. Prior to that were four...Eastern, Southern, Central, and Western, and prior to that many more.....

I suppose you could consider Greyhound Lines of Canada its 'northern division', but in reality, a separate company with a common owner (FirstGroup).

Just to clarify. D4500's are the older buses.

D4505 *note the 05* is a new bus type.The D4505's have the G4500 style headlights, and the J4500 style running lights on the top cap. I got to ride one of them recently on my return from New Orleans to Lafayette, It was a nice ride. They ride better than the older D4500 units, which I find a bit harsh. Although GLI doesnt tend to maintain their equipment very well. I recently saw one of their 2009 Prevost X-3 units, and it looked like hell.

Along with the Prevost X-3's that GLI is using now. I got to ride one of these from Binghamton NY, to Syracuse to catch the LSL after visiting my girlfriend. The X-3 rode well, but the seats werent all that comfortable, and after speaking with the driver, he didnt find the seats comfortable either. Although I guess having gotten used to the Amtrak seats, no bus will ever be that comfy.

An updated fleet for Greyhound are the D4500's *older units, currently being refurbed by GLI with the new paint scheme and seats* G4500's *blech, I hate these* , D4505 *new buses*, Prevost X-3 *new buses*.

The G4500's will be replaced as well, as there have been issues with that series. Fires and whatnot. Every driver that I know personally hates the G models. They only drive them because they have to. :D

They are slowly replacing the fleet with the newer buses. The new D4505's are going to replace the older D4500 units.

Here in Lafayette, Im seeing more and more of the D4505's and Prevost X-3's as they phase out the older units.

Just to clarify. D4500's are the older buses.

D4505 *note the 05* is a new bus type.The D4505's have the G4500 style headlights, and the J4500 style running lights on the top cap. I got to ride one of them recently on my return from New Orleans to Lafayette, It was a nice ride. They ride better than the older D4500 units, which I find a bit harsh. Although GLI doesnt tend to maintain their equipment very well. I recently saw one of their 2009 Prevost X-3 units, and it looked like hell.

Along with the Prevost X-3's that GLI is using now. I got to ride one of these from Binghamton NY, to Syracuse to catch the LSL after visiting my girlfriend. The X-3 rode well, but the seats werent all that comfortable, and after speaking with the driver, he didnt find the seats comfortable either. Although I guess having gotten used to the Amtrak seats, no bus will ever be that comfy.

An updated fleet for Greyhound are the D4500's *older units, currently being refurbed by GLI with the new paint scheme and seats* G4500's *blech, I hate these* , D4505 *new buses*, Prevost X-3 *new buses*.

The G4500's will be replaced as well, as there have been issues with that series. Fires and whatnot. Every driver that I know personally hates the G models. They only drive them because they have to. :D

They are slowly replacing the fleet with the newer buses. The new D4505's are going to replace the older D4500 units.

Here in Lafayette, Im seeing more and more of the D4505's and Prevost X-3's as they phase out the older units.
I knew that the D4500s are the older buses. They are simply reclassified 102DL3s. The 102DL3/D4500s are far from getting retired, Greyhound's refurbishing them so they will probably stay for at least six more years. The MC-12s and 102D3s are the ones getting retired. Personnaly I don't like the G4500 or X3-45, but the other guys are all OK or great. Love the D4505s.

I would love to see Greyhound get the J4500's, those would look awesome in the new paint scheme. Also, Id like to see the Prevost H3-45's like New York Trailways has. I know Im dreaming on the J and H3 models, but oh well.

The D4505's do ride very nicely. I enjoyed my trip back from New Orleans to Lafayette on it. Another thing I noticed between the D4505 and the D4500 is that the newer buses have much better headlights, they are bigger and cast more light. The driver said he prefers the D4505 because they can see farther down the lane than with the smaller square headlights.

Im gonna make you laugh, the driver and I were discussing bus models, and comparisons. He was like, hey, do you work for GLI? I said no, Im just an avid train and bus fan. He says, you should hire on as a dispatcher, you know your models quite well. Haha.

I would love to see Greyhound get the J4500's, those would look awesome in the new paint scheme. Also, Id like to see the Prevost H3-45's like New York Trailways has. I know Im dreaming on the J and H3 models, but oh well.

The D4505's do ride very nicely. I enjoyed my trip back from New Orleans to Lafayette on it. Another thing I noticed between the D4505 and the D4500 is that the newer buses have much better headlights, they are bigger and cast more light. The driver said he prefers the D4505 because they can see farther down the lane than with the smaller square headlights.

Im gonna make you laugh, the driver and I were discussing bus models, and comparisons. He was like, hey, do you work for GLI? I said no, Im just an avid train and bus fan. He says, you should hire on as a dispatcher, you know your models quite well. Haha.
About the J4500, it's apparently designed as a tour bus, not fr line-haul. I also prefer the D4505, I like the more rounded look, especially at the top of the windshield.

Then the H3-45, I've never really liked Prevosts, mainly for the big "glass box" at the front with no bar at the top. Prevost themselves also say the the X3-45 is designed for line-haul, H3-45 is designed for touring.

But anyway, I've really wanted to know why others hate the G4500. Everybody that knows about American buses seems to hate the G4500. I don't like it for the faulty mechanisms and poor ride quality. What about you guys?

About the J4500, it's apparently designed as a tour bus, not fr line-haul. I also prefer the D4505, I like the more rounded look, especially at the top of the windshield.

Then the H3-45, I've never really liked Prevosts, mainly for the big "glass box" at the front with no bar at the top. Prevost themselves also say the the X3-45 is designed for line-haul, H3-45 is designed for touring.

But anyway, I've really wanted to know why others hate the G4500. Everybody that knows about American buses seems to hate the G4500. I don't like it for the faulty mechanisms and poor ride quality. What about you guys?
The 'G' models were not designed in house by MCI, but were a derivative of Mexican builder Dina's Viaggio bus, from that era when Dina briefly owned MCI...

Most of us think they are junk.... a low cost attempt to offer a 'Euro-style' coach.

As for H-3 versus X-3 Prevost's....try to stuff the baggage and 'kitchen sinks', that college students bring with them when starting the new school year in an X-3's two shallow bays....it is mission, impossible. Often have to depart with empty seats, as there is simply no more room for baggage below. From a driver's standpoint, I will say that the lower X-3 handles somewhat better. And regarding the J4500's....again from a driver's standpoint, never felt 'at home' behind the wheel in those, and the ones my company purchased have never been popular with the driver's....we even prefer the much older 102D's over them,

As for seating comfort....the newest seats are designed for crash 'containment', with or without seatbelt use, derived from those used in school buses. And the seat power outlets when located at the bottom preclude you from sliding your legs very much forward, (you hit your shins). So all in all less comfortable than the older model seats.

Ive seen a number of engine fires reported with the G4500, due to as railiner stated, faulty electronics. The G models rode rough, and the hard seats didnt help either.

The H3's luggage bays are like houses compared to the X-3's haha. In fact, when I was in Binghamton ready for departure on the X-3, an NY Trailways bus pulled up next to us, and the luggage bays had as much baggage as ours, but more room to store them neatly.

As far as for the J4500's, yeah, I realize that they arent built for line run duty, but Peter Pan uses them for their runs. So they cant be too bad.

Hopefully I will get to ride one of the H3-45's when I move to Syracuse. Ill be going back and forth between there and Binghamton, where my girlfriend picks me up at.

Ive seen a number of engine fires reported with the G4500, due to as railiner stated, faulty electronics. The G models rode rough, and the hard seats didnt help either.

The H3's luggage bays are like houses compared to the X-3's haha. In fact, when I was in Binghamton ready for departure on the X-3, an NY Trailways bus pulled up next to us, and the luggage bays had as much baggage as ours, but more room to store them neatly.

As far as for the J4500's, yeah, I realize that they arent built for line run duty, but Peter Pan uses them for their runs. So they cant be too bad.

Hopefully I will get to ride one of the H3-45's when I move to Syracuse. Ill be going back and forth between there and Binghamton, where my girlfriend picks me up at.
Your best chance of getting an H-3 between Syracuse and Binghamton would be on a thru trip between Toronto and New York that is operated by New York Trailways. They are assigned to the first section most of the time. This would be the 13:25 departure from Binghamton to Syracuse, and the 15:15 departure from Syracuse. You may also get one on the Greyhound 19:45 departure from Syracuse, as that trip is assigned a Trailways pool bus normally.....

There are some other trips that may get one, but a less likely chance. If there are two or more sections on the trip, the thru bus may bypass Binghamton, and anything else, such as a J4500, or an XL-II may operate it...

The 'G' models were not designed in house by MCI, but were a derivative of Mexican builder Dina's Viaggio bus, from that era when Dina briefly owned MCI...

Most of us think they are junk.... a low cost attempt to offer a 'Euro-style' coach.

As for H-3 versus X-3 Prevost's....try to stuff the baggage and 'kitchen sinks', that college students bring with them when starting the new school year in an X-3's two shallow bays....it is mission, impossible. Often have to depart with empty seats, as there is simply no more room for baggage below. From a driver's standpoint, I will say that the lower X-3 handles somewhat better. And regarding the J4500's....again from a driver's standpoint, never felt 'at home' behind the wheel in those, and the ones my company purchased have never been popular with the driver's....we even prefer the much older 102D's over them,

As for seating comfort....the newest seats are designed for crash 'containment', with or without seatbelt use, derived from those used in school buses. And the seat power outlets when located at the bottom preclude you from sliding your legs very much forward, (you hit your shins). So all in all less comfortable than the older model seats.
Oh, so that's how the G4500 came to be. I saw a Nor Cal Bus Fans newsletter saying it was actually a D-series with the look of a Renaissance. It lloks like most MCI buses have big luggage bays, though, at least in my expierience.

I do like the H3-40s better than the other foreign buses. It's my favourite foreign bus, beating the X3-45, C2045, TD925, Viaggio, or whatever. Though I still don't like the "glass box."

What would you say is a driver's favourite bus?

Oh, so that's how the G4500 came to be. I saw a Nor Cal Bus Fans newsletter saying it was actually a D-series with the look of a Renaissance. It lloks like most MCI buses have big luggage bays, though, at least in my expierience.

I do like the H3-40s better than the other foreign buses. It's my favourite foreign bus, beating the X3-45, C2045, TD925, Viaggio, or whatever. Though I still don't like the "glass box."

If you mean currently, I think the X-3's or its predecessor, the XL-II. If you mean of all time, then it would easily be a GMC PD 4106. At least IMHO..... ;)

You know, I tend to like Prevost buses over MCI *except for the New D4505*.

The first time I ever rode a Prevost bus was when I was going to see my girlfriend in Pennsylvania back in 2007. I took Greyhound the whole way up to Pennsylvania. Well, when we hit Williamsport, I ended up riding on a Susquehanna Trailways Prevost Le Mirage XL, one of the older ones. That thing rode like butter compared to the MCI D and G models I had up until that point, I got to ride the same bus to Harrisburg, switching back over to GLI equipment there.

Thats where my love for Prevost started. The new X3-45 pretty much gave me the same ride experience. I hope Greyhound buys more of the X3's, they are quite nice.

If you mean currently, I think the X-3's or its predecessor, the XL-II. If you mean of all time, then it would easily be a GMC PD 4106. At least IMHO..... ;)
That makes me remember, what's the difference between a PD-4104 and a PD-4106?

Personally, I've never been a career bus driver, but as a passenger, I can comfortably say that my top ten favourites are all MCI, Eagle, or GM models. :) On MCI buses I really like the bar at the top of the windshield, I don't like light shining directly from the front. Really useful on the long runs I'm accustomed to where trains don't operate.

Thanks!
Not sure just what you mean by 'Northern Division'....

Greyhound Lines, Inc., has been a single 'division', since the last consolidation of Greyhound Lines East, and Greyhound Lines West, in the mid 1970's. Prior to that were four...Eastern, Southern, Central, and Western, and prior to that many more.....

I suppose you could consider Greyhound Lines of Canada its 'northern division', but in reality, a separate company with a common owner (FirstGroup).
Argh, I totally did not see this! I meant the 1960 divisions. Sorry about that.

That makes me remember, what's the difference between a PD-4104 and a PD-4106?

Personally, I've never been a career bus driver, but as a passenger, I can comfortably say that my top ten favourites are all MCI, Eagle, or GM models. :) On MCI buses I really like the bar at the top of the windshield, I don't like light shining directly from the front. Really useful on the long runs I'm accustomed to where trains don't operate.
The PD-4104 was built from 1953 to 1960. The 4106 replaced it in 1961, and was built through 1965. Main difference appearance-wise, was the '06 was more angular, less curved. Big mechanical difference was the replacement of the Detroit Diesel straight 6-71 engine with the new 8v-71. The new engine was much more powerful, eliminating the need to have a separate auxiliary gas engine to drive air conditioner, and freeing up more underfloor baggage space. Other than that, they were pretty similar, just minor differences...side windows a bit taller on the newer coach, elimination of emergency door except where mandated by local law (N.J.), new dashboard, seats, other minor differences. You can find photo's online....

I would have to agree on windshields. I feel a lot more comfortable with a smaller windshield, too. Not only for less bother from light, but also less chance of a large bird or a rock breaking it. Love the small windshields on MC-5's and MC-7's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a funny story about an MC-12.

I was coming home from California in 2003, and in Houston, they had an MC-12 on the run from Houston to Mobile *as per the destination sign on the bus*. We load up, and we go to hit the onramp to I-10 Eastbound, this poor MC-12, the driver had it floored!! The engine was literally racing to try and get us up the onramp. Im glad they took them out of service. That kinda scared me a bit, although it was funny afterwards.

I have a funny story about an MC-12.

I was coming home from California in 2003, and in Houston, they had an MC-12 on the run from Houston to Mobile *as per the destination sign on the bus*. We load up, and we go to hit the onramp to I-10 Eastbound, this poor MC-12, the driver had it floored!! The engine was literally racing to try and get us up the onramp. Im glad they took them out of service. That kinda scared me a bit, although it was funny afterwards.
Well, it was an improved MC-9 designed when Greyhound had financial trouble.

OK, it seems that the G4500s are running on 509 and 502.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back