From A to ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to seeing this from the PDX-SPK EB when I ride it ASAP!I noticed lots of freights this past

week on my day trip from AUS-TPL-AUS on the TE,looks like freight traffic is picking up which is good for the

economy but not so good for the OTP of Amtrak!And traveler,how many times have you ridden the

PDX-VAV-PDX bonus points bonanza that you posted about, DAILY???LOL!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And traveler,how many times have you ridden the PDX-VAV-PDX bonus points bonanza that you posted about, DAILY???LOL!!!!!!
VAV? Never! I don't even know where that is - maybe it's the new route to Anchorage! :p (BTW: Vancouver, WA is VAN! ;) )

I will be doing a PDX-KEL-PDX point run next week! :D (Who knows - maybe I throw in a PDX-VAN-PDX round trip later that day too! :lol: )

And traveler,how many times have you ridden the PDX-VAV-PDX bonus points bonanza that you posted about, DAILY???LOL!!!!!!
VAV? Never! I don't even know where that is - maybe it's the new route to Anchorage! :p (BTW: Vancouver, WA is VAN! ;) )

I will be doing a PDX-KEL-PDX point run next week! :D (Who knows - maybe I throw in a PDX-VAN-PDX round trip later that day too! :lol: )
I was just reading through a number of preceding posts on this thread and for whatever unknown reason the following thought suddenly hit me:

You, The Traveler, would be in your glory if you were suddenly caught in a situation similar to Bill Murray's "Groundhog's Day!" In your case though it would be "Ground Hogs Month" starring The Traveler, whereas you would have experienced a greater variety of routes, experiences and scenery included in your month long rail excursion! :lol:

As an additional benefit, after the first month you would no long need AGR points since the experience was paid for on the first go round! :cool:

Enjoy the fantasy! :p

8/12/09

the_traveler is on the rails again! :D

I boarded #500 in PDX for a short hop up to KEL (Kelso-Longview, WA) at Union Station. I did this to meet up with jackal (who was coming into town) – and earn 200 AGR points! :p I took this segment in coach :eek: , because of the website.

The coach fare (before discount) is $15. The upgrade is $9. What’s the total? :huh: Amtrak.com thinks it should be $30!

#500 departed PDX on time at 8:30 AM, and then arrived in VAN (Vancouver, WA) at 8:50 AM. Somehow it arrived into KEL at 9:32 AM – 14 minutes late!

One theory of this is that jackal reported (when he saw it north of KEL) that #500 had a BNSF motor on it. I assume it departed PDX with it, but all I saw at Union Station was a normal Talgo consist. It had a Talgo motor on the south end, and my coach was in the middle of the train.

It also was reported by jackal that on his run between SEA and KEL, numerous northbound BNSF freights were passed. On my northbound run between PDX and KEL, I do not recall passing any freights.

I boarded #501 in KEL about 9:54 AM – in BC this time – and met jackal. Because I went BC (and received the correct fare), I earned another 300 AGR points! :p On the way, we passed numerous freights - all headed northbound. (Why does everyone want to leave Portland?) #501 arrived into VAN at 10:32 AM and arrived PDX around 11:00 AM.

Because jackal had not ridden all the MAX lines end to end, I was “forced” :lol: to ride MAX again! (The things I have to do!) We rode the Yellow Line from downtown out to the Expo Center and back. Then we rode the Blue Line from downtown to Gresham and back and continued to Hillsboro and then back to Beaverton. From there, jackal had to pick up a rental car to meet with a group he was meeting in PDX.

After he got the rental van, we drove back downtown to retrieve his checked baggage at Union Station that he “forgot” to pick up in the morning. (Note: This should be read as “free bag storage”! ;) Check your bag on the Cascades and pick your bag up at Union Station prior to closing at 8:30 PM!)

I then joined jackal and a group of 8 others for dinner at a brew pub (hic :lol: ) in NW Portland. Upon getting a ride back to the Max stop, I took a Red Line train to be picked up back “home” (wherever that is)!

I may sit still for a week – if I can!

Next installment – the LONG trip east including Ground Hog Day (Part 20/21 A,B,C)! :p Explanation to follow!

thought suddenly hit me
I hope you didn't get hurt! :lol:

You, The Traveler, would be in your glory if you were suddenly caught in a situation similar to Bill Murray's "Groundhog's Day!" In your case though it would be "Ground Hogs Month" starring The Traveler, whereas you would have experienced a greater variety of routes, experiences and scenery included in your month long rail excursion! :lol:
Stay tuned for the season finale! ;)

thought suddenly hit me
I hope you didn't get hurt! :lol:

1. I didn't get hurt. My head was empty when it hit and it had plenty of room to safely bounce around! :wacko:

2. Season finale??? What finale??? Can we say "perpetuity"??? :rolleyes:

1. I didn't get hurt. My head was empty when it hit and it had plenty of room to safely bounce around! :wacko:

2. Season finale??? What finale??? Can we say "perpetuity"??? :rolleyes:
The finale for this season! Don't worry - I'll be back next season with all new episodes! Same time, same channel! :)

Maybe there was something in your head that did got banged around! But that's about as believable as the SL East starting within 2 years! :lol:

The finale for this season! Don't worry - I'll be back next season with all new episodes! Same time, same channel! :)
Sheeze!!! Now we're gonna have to change the name from "Ground Hog's Month" to "Same Time, Next Year... the Sequel" - a two-timing love story between a man and his trains. Only this time it's starring The Traveler instead of Alan Alda and the Amtrak Fleet instead of Ellen Burstyn.

laughing-smiley-007.gif

I had to revise the coming attractions. I forgot :eek: about my previous trips.

Thus the revised preview should be:

C(a)3-D.3-E.2-F-G-D.4-C(a)4-D.4-C(a)5-D.5-C(a)6-H.1-I.1-H.2-I.2-J-(etc)
I got tired after putting in the first 3 days! :lol:

Sorry for the confusion! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back