From A to ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
On 7/25/09, I departed from Providence (area) to go to Portland, OR for a month. Due to time constraints, I had to fly out, but I will take Amtrak back. Normally a flight does not belong in an AU trip report, but because of the situation (which I will explain later), it does qualify to be included!

In keeping with my reputation (and the title of this trip report), the trip included on 7/25 segments A-B-C by air. I flew Continental Airlines, and due to being able to transfer to AGR at 1:1 – and I plan on doing so (along with some of my other miles), I actually earned 2,533 AGR points by flying! :p (I can actually earn more AGR points by flying than if I took the train! :lol: And I got a great one way flight fare - $112!)

I departed PVD (the airport) at 5 PM. I should say we (there were 2 of us) departed at 5 – but the plane pulled back from the gate 10 minutes early. We then got a ground hold prior to leaving the airport for ……… 10 minutes! :eek: So why leave the gate 10 minutes early? Something’s not right here! :huh:

Arrival into EWR (the airport) was on time or a few minutes early. However, the landing was very hard! (Even though this was my first time flying since early 2005, I could tell the landing was very hard!)

At EWR, we had dinner – as it was after 6 PM – at one of the restaurants at the airport. The place we chose was Ruby’s Diner – and we had cheeseburgers! (The irony of this choice will be later! :) )

When we returned to the gate, we attempted to ask if we could volunteer to be bumped! (I knew that the flight was full!) They did not need volunteers, as they did have enough seats. However, when we checked in, we were given 2 seats in 2 different rows. (I could not pre-block seats when I purchased the tickets!)

They did have 2 together! Those 2 were in ……. The exit row! :cool: (Can you say more legroom! :p ) And as it turned out, the other person in the row got upgraded to First Class – so the middle seat was open! (I didn’t complain!)

We did not depart from the gate for 30 minutes (late)! (It was beginning to feel like I was on Amtrak! :lol: )

They advertised 1 movie would be shown on westbound flights. So I was debating about getting headphones for the movie. But the offer won out! Continental sells the headphones for $1, and you can keep then to be used after the flight. They are small earbud type earphones – and the jack fits my scanner perfectly! :cool:

Continental is the only domestic airline that offers a free meal on their domestic flights! Because out flight departed (or at least was scheduled to depart) at 8:35 PM, we received a snack meal. The main portion – a cheeseburger! :eek:

It turned out that they did not show just a movie! Instead, they showed 2 movies – and 3 TV episodes!

Arrival into PDX (the airport) was 1 hour early! (That didn’t feel like Amtrak! :lol: )

………………..

My impressions for my first flight in 4 years – not to good!

Although my flights were good, I’m glad that I got the row with the extra legroom for the longest flight. However, the other flight had thee “regular” (tight) pitch found on planes. And I’ll take Amtrak’s "security” any day instead of the airport security checkpoints!

……………….

During my stay, I plan on riding Portland’s Tri-Met system, and if the Amtrak gods are with me, the new PDX-VAC run! If not, just the LONG :p train trip home on 8/21!

To be continued – next season ……. ! :D

On 7/25/09, I departed from Providence (area) to go to Portland, OR for a month. Due to time constraints, I had to fly out, but I will take Amtrak back. Normally a flight does not belong in an AU trip report, but because of the situation (which I will explain later), it does qualify to be included!
In keeping with my reputation (and the title of this trip report), the trip included on 7/25 segments A-B-C by air. I flew Continental Airlines, and due to being able to transfer to AGR at 1:1 – and I plan on doing so (along with some of my other miles), I actually earned 2,533 AGR points by flying! :p (I can actually earn more AGR points by flying than if I took the train! :lol: And I got a great one way flight fare - $112!)

………………..

My impressions for my first flight in 4 years – not to good!

Although my flights were good, I’m glad that I got the row with the extra legroom for the longest flight. However, the other flight had thee “regular” (tight) pitch found on planes. And I’ll take Amtrak’s "security” any day instead of the airport security checkpoints!

……………….

During my stay, I plan on riding Portland’s Tri-Met system, and if the Amtrak gods are with me, the new PDX-VAC run! If not, just the LONG :p train trip home on 8/21!

To be continued – next season ……. ! :D
Im SHOCKED!SHOCKED I tellyou, the traveler on a plane but of course what a deal!I know you know PDX

o wont give advice,hope you get to ride the TALGO to Vancouver,seems to be problems with equipment

up that way!Hurry and get back on trains where you belong, even the cheeseburgers taste better! :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine work, good sir. Please do keep us apprised.

And may the Amtrak gods (I guess that would be the BNSF dispatchers) be with you!

(It was beginning to feel like I was on Amtrak! :lol: )
WOW, comparing an airline flight to traveling Amtrak! I myself never experienced or even heard of a train where the wheels arose up into the air upon leaving the station! You're not only the master of loopholes, but you must also be the master of finding really really unusual Amtrak trips too! HAIL TRAVELER, MASTER OF EVERYTHING AMTRAK THAT ROLLS ON RAILS... and now on clouds too! -_- :p

WOW, comparing an airline flight to traveling Amtrak! I myself never experienced or even heard of a train where the wheels arose up into the air upon leaving the station! You're not only the master of loopholes, but you must also be the master of finding really really unusual Amtrak trips too! HAIL TRAVELER, MASTER OF EVERYTHING AMTRAK THAT ROLLS ON RAILS... and now on clouds too! -_- :p
On my just completed trip I experienced two instances that could be considered "close to flying"!

The Huey Long Bridge in NOL and the Pecos High Bridge in West Texas!Of course I wasnt racking up points like

the Traveler so perhaps this doesnt count Joe! :lol:

On my just completed trip I experienced two instances that could be considered "close to flying"!

The Huey Long Bridge in NOL and the Pecos High Bridge in West Texas!Of course I wasnt racking up points like

the Traveler so perhaps this doesnt count Joe! :lol:
Check with AGR and see if you can get any "Close to Flying Air Points!" :unsure:

I departed PVD (the airport) at 5 PM. I should say we (there were 2 of us) departed at 5 – but the plane pulled back from the gate 10 minutes early. We then got a ground hold prior to leaving the airport for ……… 10 minutes! :eek: So why leave the gate 10 minutes early? Something’s not right here! :huh:

Arrival into EWR (the airport) was on time or a few minutes early. However, the landing was very hard! (Even though this was my first time flying since early 2005, I could tell the landing was very hard!)
Nice one on getting a $112 ticket! Amtrak doesn't beat that. So there were only two of you on the plane??

Usually when a plane is ready to go early, they will go early just to get out. (Actually its so the crew can start getting paid :D ) But often times when there is flow control into the the destination, they won't find out until they are taxiing to the runway, that they want to have wheels up at a certain time.

And you sure go to Portland a lot.

Looking forward to the return trip.

7/28/09

Tuesday’s temperature was only 106! What would any sane railfan do on a high day? :huh:

Spend the day riding MAX! (That goes without saying! Did you expect me to spend the day in AC? In BC – maybe! :lol: )

I got a ride to the Portland Airport about 2:30 PM to start my riding. I purchased my ticket from the MAX ticket machine at the airport for an “all zone” ticket (naturally)!

HINT: The regular fare is $2. However, they also sell a reduced fare ticket (for Honored Citizens) for $.95 – which is for senior citizens, people with disabilities AND those receiving Medicare! Yours truly qualifies – besides every knows I’m an honored citizen anyway! :lol:

I boarded a Red Line train and rode to the end of the line at Beaverton. I then transferred to a Blue Line train and rode to the end of that line in Hillsboro. While waiting for the return Blue Line train to depart, there were 3 P&W (Portland & Western, I believe) locomotives idling next to the transit center! I then boarded a Red Line train to head back towards Portland.

When I returned downtown, I decided it was getting hot, and I also needed something to drink. I also looked at the time – it was almost 5:40 PM! I have been on MAX for about 3 hours already! I’m only guess-timating, but I figure I traveled 50-70 miles in total – and the total fare that I paid was $.95!

After buying (and enjoying!) a lemonade, I boarded a Yellow Line train to the Expo Center about 6 PM. I then rode to the end of the line, and then returned. On the way back, at one of the stops was a Subway (sub) shop, so I got off and bought a sub. I then boarded the next MAX and rode downtown.

At Pioneer Square on Tuesday and Thursday nights during the summer, they offer free live music. So I ate my sub while listening to the bands, andthen boarded the Red Line train back to the airport.. I completed this day’s travels about 9 PM.

Because the MAX tickets are valid for a 2 hour period, I only needed 1 ticket for the 2nd half (3 trains). Thus my total cost for this segment was $.95 also!

The combined trips were well over 100 miles of riding and took 6 ½ hours to do – yet the total cost was $1.90!

Coming attractions :lol: ……… more riding of MAX – and I may combine a trip on WES (another Tri-Met service)!

And you sure go to Portland a lot.
Looking forward to the return trip.
To ride trains - of course! :lol: (You can't do the SDL loophole out of KIN without going to the wrong - ER - I meant left coast!)

I won't return until the end of August - I have a lot of train riding to do yet! :p
Well it was hotter than Texas but I bet not too hot for you to try to figure out a way to get AGR points for

riding the local transit right Dave? :lol: Seriously,PDX has great local transit,lots of it Free(my favorite word

after train and Free train is even better! :lol: ),ditto SEA!Are you gonna get on the promised TALGO second

train to Vancouver?Seems there is an equipment problem there,Im SHOCKED!SHOCKED! :lol:

Good deal<next time Im in PDX Ill do the same since I qualify in all of the catagories( :lol: )!for the

great cheap rides!Be :cool: !!!!

BTW - 2 of the bank temps (and they're always correct, right?) said 111 and 114! :eek:
It was only 102 here today, a cold front blew in!Bank signs are run by the same guys that

went broke with our money right? :lol: Hope youre having some cool lemonade and planning the next

adventure on rail,is there anything left in PDX you havent been on? :lol:

planning the next adventure on rail,is there anything left in PDX you havent been on? :lol:
I'm ALWAYS planning - I wouldn't be the_traveler if I didn't! :lol:

And actually yes! Tri-Met includes MAX, WES (maybe heavy rail) and streetcars. (I won't even include the buses.) In all my trips to PDX, this is the first time I have ridden the system. So far I have only ridden 2 1/2 MAX lines end to end! :( I may combine the other 1/2 line and WES ln the next few days! :cool:

Today is going to be cool - only 97! Next week will be COLD - in the mid 80's! :eek:

planning the next adventure on rail,is there anything left in PDX you havent been on? :lol:
I'm ALWAYS planning - I wouldn't be the_traveler if I didn't! :lol:

And actually yes! Tri-Met includes MAX, WES (maybe heavy rail) and streetcars. (I won't even include the buses.) In all my trips to PDX, this is the first time I have ridden the system. So far I have only ridden 2 1/2 MAX lines end to end! :( I may combine the other 1/2 line and WES ln the next few days! :cool:

Today is going to be cool - only 97! Next week will be COLD - in the mid 80's! :eek:
Should have guessed!Its raining here, down in the balmy 80s(get out the fall clothes! :lol: )The downtown area

is free(after trains my favorite word!),pretty heavily used during rush area but still as you know a great way

to travel in a beautiful city!keep us posted, they dont take AGR points on the free trips but Im sure you

can come up with something! :cool:

7/31/09

Friday was cooler – only in the upper 80’s/low 90’s! So I tool advantage of the cool weather and took some more riding on Tri-Met. It was almost so cold, I was thinking of buying a jacket! :lol:

I boarded a Blue Line train at Gresham City Hall about 12:35 PM and rode to the end of the line – only ½ mile or so away. Then I turned around and went down to the City Center. When I got there, I stopped and walked the few blocks to Powell’s Bookstore.

That place is HUGE! It’s easy to get lost in there! I wish I had money – and more room in my bags!

WES only operates Monday-Friday during the morning and evening rush hours. Being the first southbound train was not until 4:03 PM, and I was early, my intention was to ride the Blue Line out to the end of the line in Hillsboro. However, that did not happen.

Due to a MAX train up ahead that broke down, my train stopped at a station and it was over 15 minutes before we could continue. Then at the next station, the same thing happened. (It seems that even when I’m not on Amtrak, I still receive delays! :lol: )

By the time I reached the Beaverton TC (Transit Center), I have been delayed over 30 minutes, so I decided just to wait the 15 minutes or so until the WES train’s departure.

WES is a commuter train operating on a 30-minute headway. (Max operates each line on about a 15-minute headway.) Wes trains are both run with 1 car or 2 car lengths. Surprisingly, the 4:03 PM southbound departure (before the rush hour) was a 2 car train, but the 4:33 and 5:03 departures (both during the early rush hour) were only 1 car trains! Also, WES has signs that say “Free wifi – use WES1” and “Free wifi – use WES2”. I attempted to connect, but my iPhone could not find the server.

The return trip on WES departed at 4:56 PM to the Beaverton TC. There I connected to a Blue Line MAX to the end of the line in Hillsboro, and reversed my direction (did you expect otherwise from me? :lol: ), but due to the earlier delays, they only used a 1 car MAX train, and took it out of service near the MAX garage. Thus I had to wait for the next train at that station (170th Ave). I then took that Blue Line train to the Gateway TC to connect to the Red Line to the airport.

I arrived back at the airport at 8:20 PM. The total cost for this approx 150 mile trip was $2.85!

To be continued …… at some future date!

Sounds like the Traveler may be stuck on the Portland transit system!!

Will he ever return??

Sounds like the Traveler may be stuck on the Portland transit system!!Will he ever return??
Anyone read a science fiction story, the name of which I seem not to remember anymore, in which the digging of one last tunnel connecting two subway lines in Boston causes the system to become topologically multiply connected and trains to start disappearing into a different dimension? The decision was made to close that tunnel, but the problem was figuring out how to make sure that there was no train lost in the other dimension when the tunnel is blocked thus locking the errant train and its passengers forever in the other dimension.

Maybe the Traveler has just popped into said other dimension of transitdom?

8/8/09

the_traveler has escaped from Tri-Met! :lol:

On Saturday, I took a drive out of town. While this was not a railfan excursion, it turned out to be! I went east of PDX about 50 miles (or so), and went to Maltnonah Falls and the Bonneville Dam.

On the way there, we got off I-84 and drove on the Columbia River Highway (which I believe is also called the Lewis & Clark Highway). While we stopped at one of the vistas, the others in the group were looking at the views in the Columbia River Gorge. I (of course :p ) was looking for other “views”! And I found it!

In the Gorge, BNSF operates tracks on the northern (Washington) shore while UP operates tracks on the southern (Oregon) shore of the Columbia River.

While at this vista (I wish I remembered the name), I spotted a 100+ car BNSF freight on the north shore! When I got to Multomah Falls, there is a bridge with a sign of distances on it (showing mileages to Portland, Boise, Spokane and other cities) on it. I was taking a photo of the sign, when 1-2 seconds after I snapped the photo, a UP freight came thru!

Going further down the road, I say another UP freight! As I went into Bonnneville Dam, I heard (and later saw part of) another UP freight! On the way back to Portland, I came across another UP freight!

So 5 freights within a few hours! Not bad! :D

I may get “stuck” on Tri-Met again in a few days!

Film at 11! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back