Florida Mini Gathering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What city/cities do you prefer?

• Kissimmee (low to medium end restaurants are walking distance from the station

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some questions for those of you who are planning to attend the mini gathering:

Have you been to Winter Park?
Just passed through

Have you been to Orlando?
I go there about 6 times a year :)

If it can be arranged somehow, would you be interested in a small tour (by van) of the Orlando area?
If others would like it I'll tag along. No particular interest by myself. Been there, done that sort of. :)

Jishnu.

I have some questions for those of you who are planning to attend the mini gathering:

If it can be arranged somehow, would you be interested in a small tour (by van) of the Orlando area?[
Only if done by stretch limo with a well stocked bar!
laugh.gif

If it can be arranged somehow, would you be interested in a small tour (by van) of the Orlando area?[
Only if done by stretch limo with a well stocked bar!
laugh.gif
Sounds like the Stretch Limo that picked up the OBS from #22 on Saturday to take them on the Bridge from FTW to LGV while the paying pax had to ride Busses and Vans!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was informed that there would be a "mystery" guest arriving on 97 and departing on 92. The mystery has been solved. It will be good to see you again. :)
Depends on when you heard it. If you heard it before this morning then the mystery still remains, since until this morning I had no idea whether I was going to be there at all, or how I was going to get there and back. :)

The PM informing me was sent at 12:20am today, so I assume that you are not the mystery guest. (Maybe it is Governor Christie, since Shanghai mentioned that Christie was planning to visit Florida; and I was told by my informant that I would need a large limousine to pick up our mystery guest :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Shanghai is bringing Governor Christie along? Wow! I knew he had pull, but didn't realize it wen that far up :lol: :lol: :lol: . The good Governor would certainly need a large vehicle whether it be limousine or whatever :lol:

I just wanted to wish y'all the best as your own Mini Gathering quickly approaches. ^_^

I'm really glad Penny started this thread because it was the primary inspiration for the Texas Gathering as well.
bigthumbsup.gif

If time and money weren't an issue I'd have loved to come along and see the sights with y'all. -_-

I've only been to Florida a few times but I always enjoyed it. :cool:

I was informed that there would be a "mystery" guest arriving on 97 and departing on 92. The mystery has been solved. It will be good to see you again. :)
Depends on when you heard it. If you heard it before this morning then the mystery still remains, since until this morning I had no idea whether I was going to be there at all, or how I was going to get there and back. :)

The PM informing me was sent at 12:20am today, so I assume that you are not the mystery guest. (Maybe it is Governor Christie, since Shanghai mentioned that Christie was planning to visit Florida; and I was told by my informant that I would need a large limousine to pick up our mystery guest :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Shanghai is bringing Governor Christie along? Wow! I knew he had pull, but didn't realize it wen that far up :lol: :lol: :lol: . The good Governor would certainly need a large vehicle whether it be limousine or whatever :lol:
Jishnu,

If I had known more in advance that you were coming, you could have joined the Governor and I on the Silver Meteor.

We were going to share a bedroom but with his size, he would probably needed the bottom bunk and I didn't want the top.

Last night he called to say that by postponing the State of the State speech until next week, he would not be able to

go. He asked me to apologize to Pennyk and the other attendees for him. Maybe he can come to the next Gathering!!

Another weather update for Saturday January 14th: Partly cloudy, High 61, low 40, 10% chance of rain.

A majority of the attendees were not excited of a van "tour" of the area.

However, I have received many suggestions about taking the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour. (scenicboattours.com) The boat dock is down the street from the station (walking distance for some and driving distance for others). I will have a car the will seat 4 (including me). The boat leaves the dock every hour on the hour and the last boat leaves at 4pm. As of this afternoon, there is room on the 3pm boat and the 4pm boat for 10 people. The cost is $12 per person, but for groups of 10 or more, the price is discounted to $10 per person. Blankets are provided if the temperature is cold. (we all have a different definition of cold :lol: ).

There are 12 steps leading from the street to the dock, but there are several of us that can assist members who need assistance with steps.

If you plan to come to the mini-gathering and have a thought (or 2 or 3) about the scenic boat option, please let me know either by posting here or PM me.

Also, if you think it is a good idea, let me know if you think 3pm or 4pm is better.

If the Meteor is very late, then 3pm might not work, but 4pm will be colder and might be cutting it close for Bill who will need to get to the Greyhound station before 6pm.

I did some further research on stuff to do in Winter Park. There are at least 7 restaurants in Winter Park that are walking distance from the station and that are reasonably priced. There are also 2 wine bars!!!! 2 coffee shops, 2 chocolate shops, frozen yogurt shop, etc.

I apologize that there is no train travel options at this time, but we are expecting light rail in a couple of years, if you want to wait that long. :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)

61º
ohmy.gif
- I'd better pack my gloves also, along with a thick winter coat or 2 and some sweaters!
laugh.gif
Now I may have to check my baggage!
biggrin.gif
I guess you will laugh at me about how I dress for 61 degrees - but then again you laugh at me all the time. :lol: :lol: Jis certainly had a big laugh when he saw how many layers I was wearing in New York in early December.

61º
ohmy.gif
- I'd better pack my gloves also, along with a thick winter coat or 2 and some sweaters!
laugh.gif
Now I may have to check my baggage!
biggrin.gif
I guess you will laugh at me about how I dress for 61 degrees - but then again you laugh at me all the time. :lol: :lol: Jis certainly had a big laugh when he saw how many layers I was wearing in New York in early December.
Yeah, but at least then you had an excuse. You were practicing for Canada. :lol:

Another weather update for Saturday, January 14th: Partly cloudy, High 62, low 38, 10% chance of rain

As far as feedback about the boat tour is concerned, I have received PM's from 7 of the 10 participants, and since I am one of the 10, that leaves 2 people (and you should know who you are :lol: )from whom I have not heard regarding this matter.

The majority of the participants are in favor of the boat tour. I need to nail down some details with the boat company, such as the consequences for canceling/changing a reservation if the Silver Meteor is late arriving into Winter Park; or if the weather is such that people decide not to participate. I hope to have some more information later today.

If the two people that have not responded have something to say about the boat tour or have questions or concerns, please send me a PM or post here.

Thanks.

I've had these Annual NFL Play Off Party Plans every year & have been having a private debate in my "brain pan" between Play Offs/Gathering. Play Offs have won the debate!

(HOLD THE APPLAUSE TO A Minimum)

I really wanted to met you folks but, maybe we can meet down the tracks some where. I did run into Cold Rain & Snow on the CZ, in November!!!

Ya'll Have Fun,

RF

I've had these Annual NFL Play Off Party Plans every year & have been having a private debate in my "brain pan" between Play Offs/Gathering. Play Offs have won the debate!

I really wanted to met you folks but, maybe we can meet down the tracks some where. I did run into Cold Rain & Snow on the CZ, in November!!!

Ya'll Have Fun,

RF

I am disappointed that you will not be attending and I want to say I understand how someone could put football ahead of train "geeks," but.....

I have a sister who absolutely loves football and is lukewarm about trains. In fact, she even plays something called fantasy football (whatever that is). But for the fact that we look alike, I would not believe that we really are related. :lol: :lol:

Truthfully, we will miss you and hopefully we will be in the same place at the same time some time in the future. I hope your team wins.

Ya'll Have Fun,

RF

I am disappointed that you will not be attending and I want to say I understand how someone could put football ahead of train "geeks," but.....

I have a sister who absolutely loves football and is lukewarm about trains. In fact, she even plays something called fantasy football (whatever that is). But for the fact that we look alike, I would not believe that we really are related. :lol: :lol:

Truthfully, we will miss you and hopefully we will be in the same place at the same time some time in the future. I hope your team wins.

I'll PM you with an Invitation for your sister to the Play Off Party, with directions!!! :cool: :huh: :lol: !!!

I see The_Traveler recently posted his trip itinerary in the January section. Sounds like he is the "mystery quest"? If so, kudos to you Penny to get him down there.

The Misses and I always had it in the back of our minds to attend the Mini-G but are health aliments continue. We both have pneumonia now. Maybe next year especially when the Sunset East resumes for us to catch the train in Tallahassee! Dream on, huh?

Speaking of "cold weather" we are going to have much of the same in south Georgia. Saturday low of 36 and high of 60. Down right cold.

Back to the Mini-G, the Winter Park station area was like a Americana picture postcard when we passed by on our SM trips last month. I am sure the attendees will have a fun time there.

Happy Travels to all attending the Florida Mini-Gathering!!

I hear Penny is taking the Silver Meteor from ORL to WPK.

Dovecote, I hope you and your wife feel better soon. I understand that the weather will start warming up Sunday and Monday. I think we can blame the_traveler for bringing that cold New England weather with him. (However, it will a lot colder up there than down here :lol: ).

It sure looks the the_traveler will be attending the mini gathering. :) :) :) :) :)

However, I cannot take the credit (or blame :lol: ) for his decision to come down to Florida. I think his decision was based on Florida's weather and the fact that he has not been on a train since last May!!! I would like to think that it has a lot to do with my personality :giggle: ... but I think it is more about location and timing. I am looking forward to seeing him again. The last time I saw him was the day after National Train Day last year in Washington Union Station. I was a "day late" and he and Jim Hudson were still hanging around "a dollar short."

As for the mystery guest - still a mystery. It may be the traveler, but reading between the lines, it might be someone else. I think we determined that it will not be Governor Christie. Maybe it will be Shanghai - he seems to be interested in this mini gathering. :eek:

I am a bit clueless. :wacko:

I will be the only one attending the mini gathering that will not be traveling by train. The Silver Meteor from Orlando to WPK will get me to WPK too late to meet the southbound Star and Meteor. I will be driving to the WPK station in my car. It looks like we will be going on the 3pm scenic boat tour (if the trains are more or less on time) and I will be able to shuttle from the station to the boat dock, those who choose not to walk the half mile or so. (It might be too warm at 60 degrees for the northerners :lol: )

I see The_Traveler recently posted his trip itinerary in the January section. Sounds like he is the "mystery quest"? If so, kudos to you Penny to get him down there.
Well there is the mystery and then there is the 99% :) So stay tuned ;)

Wishing you and your wife a quick recovery.

Well there is the mystery and then there is the 99% :) So stay tuned ;)
It appears that 99% is on train 83 at this moment and the mystery is still a mystery.

A friend in my yoga class told me that today is "make your dreams come true day." I passed that on to the_travler by text message and he reminded me that today is also Friday the 13th. :eek: :help: :eek:

Here is an hourly weather forecast for Saturday January 14th in Orlando:

10am: 49

11am: 52

noon: 54

1pm: 57

2pm: 59

3pm: 60

4pm: 60

5pm: 58

6pm: 55

7pm: 52

8pm: 50

I am looking forward to seeing all of you on Saturday, two of whom are likely already in town, another two are on 91 right now, another is just getting off 83 right now and making his way to the CA in NYP, and the rest of you will be boarding 97 in the next 1 to 5 hours.

Edit to update status: seconds after I posted this, I received a text message informing me that 91 had engine problems near Exton, MD and that passengers were transferred to NEC train 125. Maybe the passengers will be put on 97 - if there is room. (Jis, my guess is that you are happy you had to work today and opted to take 97 instead of 91).

Last edited by a moderator:
En route with member NJ Coast Exp. Engine on the 91 train gave out near Elkton MD. They had us leave our stuff in the sleeper and board a regional train, I think it's train 25 ? Anyway, it's packed in coach but there is WIFI. I hope we don't have to wait too long before the Silver Star gets pulled to WAUS.

En route with member NJ Coast Exp. Engine on the 91 train gave out near Elkton MD. They had us leave our stuff in the sleeper and board a regional train, I think it's train 25 ? Anyway, it's packed in coach but there is WIFI. I hope we don't have to wait too long before the Silver Star gets pulled to WAUS.
According to NJCoastExp, who sent me a text message, you are on train 125. I hope the train gets into WAS soon where it will get a new engine. At least you will be able to wait in the CA in Washington Union Station.

Please keep me posted. Piotr has my cell phone number.

pennyk said:
1326485242[/url]' post='340545']
reefgeek said:
1326484738[/url]' post='340542']En route with member NJ Coast Exp. Engine on the 91 train gave out near Elkton MD. They had us leave our stuff in the sleeper and board a regional train, I think it's train 25 ? Anyway, it's packed in coach but there is WIFI. I hope we don't have to wait too long before the Silver Star gets pulled to WAUS.
According to NJCoastExp, who sent me a text message, you are on train 125. I hope the train gets into WAS soon where it will get a new engine. At least you will be able to wait in the CA in Washington Union Station.

Please keep me posted. Piotr has my cell phone number.
Here we are at the Acela lounge in WAUS. Certainly there are worse places to wait, the coach pax are standing in a pen by Gate D. Let's hope they drag the train here soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back