Florida Mini Gathering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What city/cities do you prefer?

• Kissimmee (low to medium end restaurants are walking distance from the station

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Disclaimer - this is my first post of a poll. If I goofed, I apologize.

I will be out of town from October 1-14 and from November 5-15 and would prefer not the have the mini gathering during that period (if we have a mini gathering).

Several people expressed interest a couple of months ago. I guess the poll will indicate if they are still interested.

Thanks for your responses.

:)

I voted, but really any day any where is fine, as long as my busy retired schedule doesnt change! On the majority of the votes, if there was a whatever vote, that would have been my choice!!!

RF

Winter Park sounds pretty nice.

Looks like this is an easy run from DC leave late Friday, arrive Saturday AM, leave on the Meteor Sunday afternoon and arrive in DC Monday morning in time to head to work.

I will be out of town from October 1-14 and from November 5-15 and would prefer not the have the mini gathering during that period (if we have a mini gathering).

:)
The best time to do is is 10/1-14 or 11/5-15!
laugh.gif

Oh, and if possible avoiding AGR blackouts would be great. I've got points to burn, but not a lot of cash. :D
So far, January has the most votes, but not by a lot. The Disney marathon is the first weekend in January. I will check to see when mlk day is in 2012. I will also check into agr blackout dates and avoid them.

So far 24 people have voted and half of those people (12) prefer Winter Park, with second place going to Kissimmee and Orlando with 5 votes each. I think WPK should be declared the "winner" for the location.

With regard to the month preference, January came in first with 10 votes and October came in a distant second with 3 votes. (apparently not everyone who voted, selected a month preference). I think January should be declared the "winner" for the month of the mini gathering.

The results are too close to call with regard to whether participants prefer lunch only, lunch and dinner, or lunch, dinner and overnight. I think we can plan something for group lunch and if enough people are interested (if they are spending the night in the area), we can plan a group dinner. If anyone else has a different suggestion, please post it.

It looks like more people prefer weekends to weekdays and no one prefers Sunday. I think we should plan on having lunch and maybe dinner on a Saturday in January in Winter Park.

Below are the Saturdays in January:

January 7th (weekend of the Disney marathon - hotels in the tourist area will be crowded - I do not know about WPK)

January 14th (3 day weekend for Martin Luther King Day celebrated on Monday 1/16 - trains might be crowded or at a higher bucket - or maybe more people will attend from other parts of the country if they are taking a long weekend :) )

January 21st

January 28th

I checked the AGR blackout dates for January. The only blackout date is January 2nd.

I went on-line to try to determine if any other events will occur in Orlando during January and could not find anything other than a football game on New Year's Day and the Disney Marathon.

According to weather.com, January is our coldest month, with our average high of 72 and average low of 50 (frankly, that sounds perfect to me, although I have been in Orlando when it has been in the 20's :eek: ). By way of comparison, I checked the January average temperatures for Kingston, Rhode Island - average high 38 and average low 19 (also their coldest month of the year). I cannot understand why ANYONE would endure those temperatures. :lol: :lol:

Of the 24 people that responded, 8 stated that they would attend if the date is convenient; with 4 voting probably and 4 voting maybe. (according to my calculator, that only adds up to 16 - maybe some votes were "lost" - Florida does not have a good reputation with regard to voting issues).

Those of you who are interested in attending or may be interested in attending, please post with your date preference. If you do not want to post, please PM me with your preference.

Thank you for your responses.

By way of comparison, I checked the January average temperatures for Kingston, Rhode Island - average high 38 and average low 19 (also their coldest month of the year). I cannot understand why ANYONE would endure those temperatures. :lol: :lol:
I cannot understand why ANYONE would want to live in Kingston!! The Acela doesn't stop there,

however I think it must be the Rhode Island Chow-dah!!

I'm interested in attending, for sure. Looks like I'll probably come in on Friday & leave Sunday, leaving all day Saturday to play! :lol: I'm currently leaning toward the Best Western Mt. Vernon Inn. I called & the desk told me they are lowering rates at the 1st of the year to $109-$124 P/N. What date, I'll leave to the rest of the group!

I would so love to do a points run from Tampa for this, but thanks to the star schedule the only way to do it would be for dinner and overnite. A lunch would require 2 overnites.
sad.gif

I would so love to do a points run from Tampa for this, but thanks to the star schedule the only way to do it would be for dinner and overnite. A lunch would require 2 overnites.
sad.gif
Would it work to take the thruway bus, then the meteor to wpk arriving in the afternoon (probably too late for lunch, but not too late for dinner), then spend Saturday night and go back to Tampa on Sunday. Rail Freak will be coming from the Tampa area. Unfortunately, a points run for lunch does not work from the south as it does from the north.

According to weather.com, January is our coldest month, with our average high of 72 and average low of 50 (frankly, that sounds perfect to me, although I have been in Orlando when it has been in the 20's :eek: ). By way of comparison, I checked the January average temperatures for Kingston, Rhode Island - average high 38 and average low 19 (also their coldest month of the year). I cannot understand why ANYONE would endure those temperatures. :lol: :lol:
Why would anyone want to endure temperatures in the 70's and 80's in January?
huh.gif
It's hard to have a snowball fight at those temperatures!
laugh.gif

If around MLK weekend is not a blackout date, I vote got that weekend! (An extra day?
smile.gif
) And since many of us will use AGR awards, buckets do not matter!
biggrin.gif

sad.gif
Would it work to take the thruway bus, then the meteor to wpk arriving in the afternoon (probably too late for lunch, but not too late for dinner), then spend Saturday night and go back to Tampa on Sunday. Rail Freak will be coming from the Tampa area. Unfortunately, a points run for lunch does not work from the south as it does from the north.
Well I can take the star as long as dinner would be 6pm or later, but I only take TDB when desperate
biggrin.gif

I am assuming that most of the members that responded are still interested in attending a mini-gathering in Florida.

Most people prefer Winter Park in January. When I inquired as to which weekend in January, I only received 2 responses: One member preferred MLK weekend and another member preferred any weekend after the 15th (which is MLK weekend). The Saturday of MLK weekend is 1/14/12; the next Saturday is 1/21/12.

Does anyone else who might be attending have any thoughts. I would like to set a date within the next few weeks so that anyone planning to travel across state lines may be able to get lower bucket prices.

I checked the prices at 2 hotels in WPK - Best Western Mount Vernon Inn: $129 for 1/14 and 1/21 (long walk, bus or cab ride from WPK station); Park Plaza Hotel: $180 for 1/14 and 1/21 (fairly short walk from WPK station - some of the reviews complain about the train noise :lol: )

Thanks for your feedback. If I do not get any more feedback, I will toss a coin. :lol:

I am assuming that most of the members that responded are still interested in attending a mini-gathering in Florida.

Most people prefer Winter Park in January. When I inquired as to which weekend in January, I only received 2 responses: One member preferred MLK weekend and another member preferred any weekend after the 15th (which is MLK weekend). The Saturday of MLK weekend is 1/14/12; the next Saturday is 1/21/12.

Does anyone else who might be attending have any thoughts. I would like to set a date within the next few weeks so that anyone planning to travel across state lines may be able to get lower bucket prices.

I checked the prices at 2 hotels in WPK - Best Western Mount Vernon Inn: $129 for 1/14 and 1/21 (long walk, bus or cab ride from WPK station); Park Plaza Hotel: $180 for 1/14 and 1/21 (fairly short walk from WPK station - some of the reviews complain about the train noise :lol: )

Thanks for your feedback. If I do not get any more feedback, I will toss a coin. :lol:
TAILS :cool: :lol:

Any ideas of what we may be doing? Sitting in the Park, across from the station, shooting the breeze about Amtrak, sounds pretty cool!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas of what we may be doing? Sitting in the Park, across from the station, shooting the breeze about Amtrak, sounds pretty cool!!!
I am not the best person to ask about interesting things to do in Winter Park. When I go to Winter Park, it is usually to:

1. go to the Amtrak station to start a points run to Orlando and back

2. go shoe shopping (there is a store walking distance from the station that sells very nice comfortable shoes)

3. to to Whole Foods for groceries (not walking distance from station).

Seriously, there are many places to eat in Winter Park. If the weather is nice, sitting in the park is wonderful. I assume we would go to lunch as a group, then possibly some of the group that are taking "day trips" would leave. Those of us left could hang out in Winter Park, watch wealthy people shop on Park Avenue, count the cars on the freight trains that pass through, stare at the location that where the commuter rail station will hopefully be located in the not too distant future. Eating dinner as a group will be likely.

If anyone coming for the weekend is interested in the "tourist" stuff, you are on your own - I cannot help you other than direct to city buses that can take you there.

Jim - I noticed that you joked that I would "cater" a dinner at my condo. I guess you know me well enough to know that forcing anyone to eat my cooking is cruel and unusual punishment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim - I noticed that you joked that I would "cater" a dinner at my condo. I guess you know me well enough to know that forcing anyone to eat my cooking is cruel and unusual punishment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We were planning to come early to Florida to attend the Mini-Gathering and were looking forward to Penny's dinner at her condo.

I heard she would be serving Garlic Chicken over Rice, Shrimp Scampi with Garlic Sauce, Garlic Sourdough Bread

and some Garlic Ice Cream for dessert!!

I would probably do the LD version of a lunch run - down on the Star arriving Saturday morning and then back on the Star that leaves that evening in order to be home on Sunday and go to work on Monday. :D

I would probably do the LD version of a lunch run - down on the Star arriving Saturday morning and then back on the Star that leaves that evening in order to be home on Sunday and go to work on Monday. :D
Does either 1/14 or 1/21 work better for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back