EB Mess - 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what, mr andersone, do you base your information on? i have been told by obs that the policy is that when the train is more than 6 hours late and there is time before arriving at the terminus that passengers will be fed. that has been our experience a couple times on the cz and several times on the eb. unless, of course, the 6 hour late mark is at night. then you arrive hungry

HOPING TO RIDE #7 WB THRU NORTH DAKOTA ON THE SURREY CUTOFF JULY 3RD-4TH..IS THIS STILL THE REROUTE? LIKE TO KNOW

#7 is running on the KO sub-division, while #8 is still making all stops on the Devils' Lake sub.

BNSF is running traffic one-way between Fargo and Minot, notwithstanding track failure and/or derailments.

If the arrival time will be more than four hours past the time a meal period normally begins then there is an extra meal served.

I see #7 in ND lost 3 hours between Stanley and Williston-Ouch!!! Now over 8 hours behind schedule. Looks like these pax will get breakfast lunch and dinner before reaching SEA late tomorrow.

:-((

Doing some work on the US-63 bridge in Red Wing today (same location as my profile photo) and saw a 5+ hour late EB #8 depart around 2:15 PM. From my vantage point, it looked like the train had two dome lounge cars coupled together in the middle of the train (maybe the one that was bad-ordered out west was returning to CHI?). There was also a PV dome car tacked onto the rear.

Well I have some great news,,,, the first leg of my GPK journey is the 700 mile drive from here to LSE,,,,, I need to hook up with the twin sister of my former mother in law by marriage ... I was unable to attend the funeral of her late husband of like 60 years because of a hip replacement,,, we finally found her today, still in Ferryville ,,, going strong and happy as a clam we are coming to see here,,, the lived right next to the old NP tracks,,, the town was famous for a century as the largest town in the world with only one street,,, until some guy from Chicago bought some ground on the bluff and built a street ,,,, I love it when a plan comes together (and in the old days I would have caught the EB in Prarrie De Chein,,, much closer than LSE) and would I have looked like a sap if she had moved to like Florida,,, but then again I have no compunction driving to GBB to catch the CZ,,,,,

Currently sitting in the first class lounge at SPUD. #27 is now due at 1:01 am.

No coffee or soda or snacks in the lounge...

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
There are some restaurants along University Ave. McDonald's probably isn't optimal, but they have coffee, and most locations are open 24 hours now.

Also, there is a Jimmy John's nearby. They deliver quickly. You could get an awesome sandwich, chips, a pickle, and caffeinated soda. :)

Here's their number: (651) 646-4777

Waal. we all know that the Amtrak EB is more or less unpredictable these days.

BUT - some of my relations have chosen to ride the EB SEA-MSP regardless, cause they want the calming effect on their way to a memorial service for my (ex)-mother-in-law. And 10 hours more or less -- is ten hours more or less.

If the train is too late - they'll be sleeping on my floor - not a problem.

And I'm not saying anything against my MIL.

For some purposes, the 3-11 hour delay means nothing.

But if you need connect in CHI - the EB is NOT the way to go.

It was 25 years ago that I lived in downtown Saint Paul. I now live on the newly opened Green Line, but still don't know downtown Saint Paul after 10 PM. Now, I don't know anything but the really noisy metal bar near the station. Not many late evening places near the station.

Thinking that Ispolkom and Jebr and all might have ideas - but honestly - the best eating places in downtown St Paul close before the EB arrives westbound, or open after eastbound.- like Tanpopo or Ruam Mit

Thinking that, actually, I should get down to downtown and find out what's happening there.

Walking downtown Saint Paul is really really safe - maybe go look at the river? Order a pizza? Walk 4 blocks to the Superamerica and get some refirigerated sanwiches? There's a "Senor (something) nearby that I saw from the Green Line that might have a late kitchen and drinks. And maybe the "3?hat? bar on 5th"

Anyhow, don't worry wandering downtown Saint Paul on a Monday.

Just be at the station when the late train pulls in

Last edited by a moderator:

There are some restaurants along University Ave. McDonald's probably isn't optimal, but they have coffee, and most locations are open 24 hours now.

Also, there is a Jimmy John's nearby. They deliver quickly. You could get an awesome sandwich, chips, a pickle, and caffeinated soda. :)

Sarah, University Avenue is no longer relevant. We have SPUD! And local me has no clue what's available there. Sorry

Thanks Sarah! I have a friend picking up coffee at McD's on University right now!!!

Thanks Sarah! I have a friend picking up coffee at McD's on University right now!!!

color]

Take the light rail to Capitol (Capital?) and Rice. There's a McDonald's one or two blocks from there, as well as a White Castle.

Or go to the Kelly Depot bar located across the street right (or next to the station) on Kellogg. Great burgers and sandwiches along with a great variety of beverages.

Or go to the Kelly Depot bar located across the street right (or next to the station) on Kellogg. Great burgers and sandwiches along with a great variety of beverages.
If you have earplugs, ok.

The places up on Uno (the cabbies call it UNO, the cops call it UNI) - it's at least 20 minutes each way, Plus whatever time you spend ordering and eating. If the train is real late, no problem. Otherwise, an hour.

There are also places on W Seventh, take the #54 limited stop from SPUD to, but not beyond, Chestnut near the XCL center. -- Cossetta, Patrick O - something (who cares generic "Irish" drinking place). Closer than UNO and better.

Sarah, University Avenue is no longer relevant. We have SPUD! And local me has no clue what's available there. Sorry
Then Google Maps lied to me. Perhaps they haven't updated the location yet. I typed "St. Paul Union Depot" in the search. It gave me "Christos Greek Restaurant", but I figured that was a fluke since the train icon was there, along with train tracks and a mouse pop-up with the EB schedule. /shrug

Then Google Maps lied to me. Perhaps they haven't updated the location yet. I typed "St. Paul Union Depot" in the search. It gave me "Christos Greek Restaurant", but I figured that was a fluke since the train icon was there, along with train tracks and a mouse pop-up with the EB schedule. /shrug
Yeah, Christos is at SPUD, but never when a train arrives (they don't open until 11 am) . And close before 10PM.

Us locals have a lot to learn, what with the new station and the crazy variation in run-times.

Don't doubt Google, but finding anywhere near SPUD when waiting -- used to know when Amtrak at Midway - now - with random delays -

I'm no local expert anymore.

If people can walk a mile or two, I'll tell them what to look for, and places to eat. If they have a day, I'll send them to the Hill House tour.

But right now, i have no clue with the strange delays.

Got an ex-wife and son arriving sometime from the west at different times by train to MSP - what time -- who knows?

Just put them on the new Green Line (LIKE IT) and we'll meet somewhere.

Yeah, Christos is at SPUD, but never when a train arrives (they don't open until 11 am) .
Right, but what I'm saying is that I searched for restaurants near SPUD, and a ton of stuff popped up on University Ave.

Maybe I misunderstood you? I thought you meant I had the wrong location when you said University Ave was no longer relevant because you have SPUD now.

Yeah, Christos is at SPUD, but never when a train arrives (they don't open until 11 am) .
Right, but what I'm saying is that I searched for restaurants near SPUD, and a ton of stuff popped up on University Ave.

Maybe I misunderstood you? I thought you meant I had the wrong location when you said University Ave was no longer relevant because you have SPUD now.
What I'm trying to say is -

The restaurants showing at University and Rice - are - one McD and one White Castle. All the ethnic restaurants west on University are not open Empire Builder hours.

There might be a questionable hotel restaurant somewhere near there.

There is some confusion with the Amtrak move to SPUD, and the opening of the Green Line.

University Avenue, even at Rice, is a LONG uphill walk from SPUD, me, I would dine downtown, even at Mickey's, or on west 7th, or in Lowertown, rather than try to find a decent place on UNO during EB hours.

The former advice about University avenue near the old Midway Aamtrak station is obsolete.

University Avenue near the Capitol and Rice - not where I choose to hang out.

Gotcha also. And I hope you mean "answering Chicago and Michigan questions" which we all know you do so well, and for which I have thanks to give.

As for asking questions -- keep on asking, seldom can I help, often you have helped - thanks

When I was there for the Nat. Train Day, I peeked in there and looks like there's a counter for this.. Guess it's for something else..

Where are you heading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back