EB Mess - 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't amtrak supposed to release another eb schedule modification soon? what could they do that would make any difference?
Perhaps if they just put an estimated "day" that they will arrive rather than a specific time. Something like: We expect the Empire Builder will be in the vicinity of Minot at some time on Wednesday.

:)

isn't amtrak supposed to release another eb schedule modification soon? what could they do that would make any difference?
"E Hunter Harrison has been kidnapped and will be available on the Empire Builder to discuss dispatching with the passengers." :giggle: That might help with the delays east of Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
"E Hunter Harrison has been kidnapped and will be available on the Empire Builder to discuss dispatching with the passengers." :giggle: That might help with the delays east of Chicago.
If the Builder is getting delayed east of Chicago, we have more problems than just that the train is delayed. :)

Wow, look at the delays for the EB's today-yikes. And to think this is with all of the "extra" padding in the schedule. As BNSF said--this summer was going to be a busy one for construction-and the performance of both freights and pax trains shows it. My local BNSF guy says freight customers continue to howl with delays ranging from a few days to over a month to move their stuff--ouch!!!

Wow, look at the delays for the EB's today-yikes. And to think this is with all of the "extra" padding in the schedule. As BNSF said--this summer was going to be a busy one for construction-and the performance of both freights and pax trains shows it. My local BNSF guy says freight customers continue to howl with delays ranging from a few days to over a month to move their stuff--ouch!!!
With 7 departing MSP at 3:57 AM this morning and 8 departing 10:28 PM last night, they came very close to reversing their respective schedule times.

This may have been answered somewhere else, but if the EB is going to be late leaving Chicago and going to Minneapolis, will they put passengers going between those two cities on a bus? I'm thinking of doing an LD trip from TRE-MSP in December and will only be going as far as Minneapolis on the westbound EB.

This may have been answered somewhere else, but if the EB is going to be late leaving Chicago and going to Minneapolis, will they put passengers going between those two cities on a bus? I'm thinking of doing an LD trip from TRE-MSP in December and will only be going as far as Minneapolis on the westbound EB.
No, they don;t do busses from CHI to MSP.

The mega delays are starting to take their toll on the overall schedule once again, since the #8 arriving in CHI today will likely mean a late departure for #7 this afternoon (2-4 hours perhaps??), which would mean this train will likely miss all of it's slots on the Hi-Line, which may cause it to be extremely late into PDX and SEA, etc. etc. etc...

With no real additional rolling stock (remember they already have an additional train set in SEA and PDX to cover the "normal" arrival delays in those two cities now) to add to the mix on this route, we could possibly have another "stand down", where Amtrak restarts everything after canceling a few days of Empire Builders. It would be a darned shame to do this in the summer, with normally higher pax loads, but the delays are once again building up--and Amtrak knows it. Our local Amtrak people agree.

Though I was looking fwd. to the extra time on the EB this August back to Chicago, the delays are becoming ridiculous and the potential of 14 hours of traveling at 20 mph or sitting on a siding indefinitely made me change my plans. I'm now coming back from the northwest on CS south to SAC, then CZ back to CHI where chances are good I'll make the CONO connection. Besides, I've never traveled beyond SLC on the CZ and look fwd. to the new terrain. Maybe in a couple of years, EB.....

Though I was looking fwd. to the extra time on the EB this August back to Chicago, the delays are becoming ridiculous and the potential of 14 hours of traveling at 20 mph or sitting on a siding indefinitely made me change my plans. I'm now coming back from the northwest on CS south to SAC, then CZ back to CHI where chances are good I'll make the CONO connection. Besides, I've never traveled beyond SLC on the CZ and look fwd. to the new terrain. Maybe in a couple of years, EB.....
Probably a wise move!

I can see why you'd change your trip. I hope you enjoy the CZ! That's the route I really want to do, but I haven't been able to make it work yet.

I follow the EB thread, and the folks trying to solve its problems have my sympathy!

You won't regret it, as was said wise choice for many reasons, first of which is the Scenery!
And would anyone be dumb enough to be the under with the ongoing mess on the Hi-Line?!!!!!

I just had a brief conversation with our local travel agent, who books hundreds of tour people on the EB's each summer, and she has been bombarded with phone calls about this mess. And she says they cannot get straight answers from Amtrak either. Often conflicting info, which doesn't help the situation. They have already had some cancellations, but mostly just cranky tour members complaining about arriving in Glacier National Park in the middle of the night with poor support services for the tour members, etc....

She ended her comments that if things don't improve dramatically by the end of this season, they may just "pause" in their Empire Builder Bookings for 2015. This could be a blow to the Empire Builder's business if they did this. I know other tour companies may have larger numbers, but when the MT tour operators are considering pulling the plug on the Empire Builder service that should concern the powers that be at Amtrak.

No, they don;t do busses from CHI to MSP.
Well, I've seen them do it, but only when the EB was cancelled completely. Otherwise you wait.

Absolutely the right choice. I'm only traveling on the Empire Builder because the other choices (driving, taking the bus, or flying) are even less palatable. That $400 MSP-MOT ticket on Delta is starting to look better and better, though.

All six EB train sets are showing on the Dixieland status map right now!

We are booked round trip from Seattle to East Glacier Park in early Sept. . I'm concerned about the return trip from East Glacier to Seattle. With all the delays it looks like it's possible we may not board the train until midnight or later. How's the station at East Glacier? Will I be miserable there waiting?

East Glacier is a minimal sort of station - waiting 10 hours there not a pleasure in itself.

But - there is usually many hours advance notice when the train is late - your lodging is fairly likely to help - let you wait in their lobby or such until the train is near - by early Sept the season is winding down.

Also - sad but true - nobody knows what the schedule will be for the Empire Builder in September. I'd stock up on snacks and games if the Builder is still running as irregularly as it is now.

A friend just arrived MSP from WGL -- departed WGL on-time, arrived almost 15 hours late. Luckily the #54 bus is still running to MSP airport, she can pick up the rental car yet.

EB #8 is just out of Detroit Lakes, 14-1/2 hours late. No wonder I didn't see it in Red Wing today!

What are the chances that 8(15) and 7(17) will be at SPUD at the same time this evening?
Well, they didn't meet there - but somewhere between MSP and RDW. Probably Who knows.

This thread is turning into a "how many hours late is it possible to be".

We may learn. Third world timings, but we get there. Sometime.

Learn to accept who owns and abuses the ROW. Live with it.

I've given up all worries about the train being "on time" - my app and my cellie let me know when to meet and greet.

BUT - I'm still planning on using the EB, so are my kids and friends.

The "Terms and conditions of service" have changed lately, but there's still a valuable connection there.

East Glacier is a minimal sort of station - waiting 10 hours there not a pleasure in itself.

But - there is usually many hours advance notice when the train is late - your lodging is fairly likely to help - let you wait in their lobby or such until the train is near - by early Sept the season is winding down.

Also - sad but true - nobody knows what the schedule will be for the Empire Builder in September. I'd stock up on snacks and games if the Builder is still running as irregularly as it is now.
This is true, but Glacier Park Lodge is but a 5 minute walk on a foot path and they meet the train so will be aware of the current trains where abouts, so I would think waiting there & having a nice meal & a drink would not be too bad. All this assumes GPL has not closed for the season by the time of your trip!

We are booked round trip from Seattle to East Glacier Park in early Sept. . I'm concerned about the return trip from East Glacier to Seattle. With all the delays it looks like it's possible we may not board the train until midnight or later. How's the station at East Glacier? Will I be miserable there waiting?
Naah, like Gemuser said, Glacier is a tourist place and used to train delays. Don't sweat it. Do allow a few hours slack at your final destination.

Don't worry being unfed in a tiny little shelter in the midst of Montana with Winter coming on - it'll be better than that.

They train is likely late, plan on it, no worries.

Glacier is a wonderful place to visit - me been 20 years -- envy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back