EB Mess - 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused, tried to search this but could not find the information. I'm trying to plan a round trip for my brother and his wife from RVR to East Glacier Park. The website says there is no same day service? When I try one way routings there is no eastbound connection for the EB to the CL which leaves CHI at 6:40 but there is a connection with the Cardinal that leaves at 5:45, hence my confusion.

Their trip won't be until this time next year. Will the BNSF track improvements be done by then?

They were visiting the Blackfeet Indian reservation where my sister-in-laws father was born and raised. Their cabin faced the BNSF main and were amazed at the volume of train traffic. They noticed the EB and thought it would be nice to take the train next time. Hopefully the mess will be cleared up and two new foamers in making will be born.
The only connection Amtrak will even try is the EB with the LSL, and even that is a 50-50 proposition. If you can afford the time and cost the only way to ensure a "connection" is to stay in Chicago overnight.

they will also book the eb to connect with the city of new orelans. at least they did for us a couple weeks ago for a trip in mid september. why they do it i don't know. we are planning for a night in chi though it will be on amtrak's dime

I will have phone service again tomorrow . Might someone be kind enough to find the direct phone for GPK? Trying to verify if they will take checked luggage

The local yellow pages lists the following number: 406-226-4452. Not sure who is at the station though, most times when we have been there it is not manned. I think someone shows up just when the EB's are arriving.

Amtrak's web site shows the station is open 5 AM to 7 AM and then 7:45 PM to 10 PM. Those times would give you the best shot at finding someone there. We were just in East Glacier yesterday on our way to the Two Medicine area of the Park in the middle of the day and no one at the station, but that was around 11:30 AM.

I'd imagine that you should be fine. If the train is going to be late, they have to have personnel there to handle the offloading of bags. You shouldn't have any problem checking a bag for a late EB.

Thanks. In 830 we would have had no problem as the head end is by the station. Because we are in 2830 we have to hike all the way to the end of the train. But that is the only blemish. Wonderful weather great time

Glad you are having a great time, Andersone. We are on our way back to Glacier after 3 great days at Yellowstone. Not sure we will have time to do GTTS Road once we get there; for once #7 is "only" little over an hour late out of Williston.

Last edited by a moderator:
I white knuckled GTTSR westbound yesterday. Ticked some off cause I was so slow but such is life. Hope to have dinner at Walton tonight.

#7 got into Spokane about 5:45, 2 1/2 hours late. Could have been worse. For some reason it lost 40 minutes from the time I got on at East Glacier to the time it reached West Glacier. And after pulling out of West Glacier had to stop for a freight. Did make up almost an hour due to padding between Sandpoint and Spokane.

I white knuckled GTTSR westbound yesterday. Ticked some off cause I was so slow but such is life. Hope to have dinner at Walton tonight.
I don't know why people get so blessed impatient on GTTSR. It's not as if it's an interstate freeway; besides, the scenery is something to be savored rather than sped by. Enjoy dinner at Izaak Walton!

We just had dinner at the Izaak Walton three days ago, on the veranda, watching the BNSF freights go by--a most enjoyable experience!! Glad you enjoyed the GTTSR experience. It can indeed be a little "challenging" for those who are not used to high mountain driving (nothing like a little 1000 foot drop to get the excitement going), and I agree, the most important part (aside from safely driving the road) is the scenery. It always boggles my mind to see people, who have come from thousands of miles away, try to race up or down this road. It is indeed to be savored!!

I'm envious sitting down here in 100 degree Dog Days of August Heat in Texas reading about Glacier. Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks!

Based on what I've read and heard the GTTSR should be changed to Going To The Snow Road!!" until July!!( I've only passed through on the Builder, Ive never been in Glacier!)

Landed back in GNP and am i impressed with Dancing Bears Inn. No more Lodge for me - sad thing is I will probably be back this way again. Went to the station and checked the bags for the morning. Agent also told me that Eastbound car 2830 will be right at the station, not the end of the platform as I had surmised so She Who Must Be Obeyed will NOT have to hoof it - and he offered IF she did he would take her in the baggage cart. Hope he wlll be there in the morning so I can get his name to give him the kudos he deserves. The only piece missing is how late it will be,,,, he guessed two hours, which was today's timing,,, and of course how late it will be t LSE,,,,

Also stopped for Dinner at the Izaak Walton,,, one of the best meals of the trip (pork chop for me, stroganoff for SWMBO) and am east bound tanker train for entertainment. i am truly blessed/

Hope your #8 does better in the timekeeping department tomorrow morning than it did today. It's looking better; #8 should be into Spokane early and #28, while just over an hour late out of Pasco, should make up some of that time. Hopefully all will be on time out of Spokane tonight. My uncle and his granddaughters are catching #8 tomorrow morning from East Glacier. They are hoping against hope that it isn't too late into Chicago as they are catching the CONO to Champaign. All the best of luck to #8!!!!

Drat! I've been watching the #8 arrivals to CHI on Wednesdays, and the last 4 have not been so late as to miss many connections. Today, however, it does not look good.

In two weeks I'll be on that one and would prefer to make my connection to LSL. Will just have to see how it goes. Adventures, adventures! ;)

Getting ready to leave the Dancing Bears Inn. 8 is only 23 minutes late at the moment (knock on fomica) . JP tell your uncle who should be boarding with me I am wearing pale green and the charming bride is in black but the real giveaway is her cane

Harvest Update: My conversations with local BNSF folks indicate that the harvest along the Hi-Line will be near or at record levels this year. This means BNSF is going to be hard pressed to move agricultural items ALL Fall and Winter. They said to be prepared for continued lengthy delays, as they have not totally recovered from the past year's big harvest. They also said with huge Soy Bean and Corn harvests this year as well elsewhere where BNSF serves, this will prevent them from allocating as many cars as they would normally need to meet the expected huge demand. They are taking delivery and leasing several thousand additional grain cars over the coming year, but most will not be in their inventory until some time in mid 2015.

So the traffic will continue to increase, along with a continued aggressive 2015 construction schedule. No rest for the weary. Meanwhile #8 in MN is 6 hours late again today. Not going to make any connections in CHI at that rate. Bummer.

Thanks. I have to set up a trip to Minneapolis in April; I'm planning to schedule an overnight stay in Chicago on the eastbound. (I figure the westbound will probably leave on time, but I'm not anticipating arriving on time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back