EB Mess - 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears they held LSL 48 in CHI last night (DEP 10:48 pm) for the late EB 8 (ARR 10:28 pm).

Crossing my fingers... :unsure:

Harvest Update: My conversations with local BNSF folks indicate that the harvest along the Hi-Line will be near or at record levels this year. This means BNSF is going to be hard pressed to move agricultural items ALL Fall and Winter. They said to be prepared for continued lengthy delays, as they have not totally recovered from the past year's big harvest. They also said with huge Soy Bean and Corn harvests this year as well elsewhere where BNSF serves, this will prevent them from allocating as many cars as they would normally need to meet the expected huge demand. They are taking delivery and leasing several thousand additional grain cars over the coming year, but most will not be in their inventory until some time in mid 2015.

So the traffic will continue to increase, along with a continued aggressive 2015 construction schedule. No rest for the weary. Meanwhile #8 in MN is 6 hours late again today. Not going to make any connections in CHI at that rate. Bummer.
I've seen complaints in the local MSP press that Xcel energy are whining that their SHERCO plants near Saint Cloud have really low coal reserves.

I've seen - today - POT (that's Potash of Saskatchewan cars moving east through local junction - for the first time in a while - distinctive pink closed hoppers) AND - shipping fertilizer so late in the season is -- hard to explain.

I've heard (TOTAL rumour mill nonsense) that lots of LAST years grain (hard amber durum and such) hasn't been shipped yet.

I guess - and that's all it is - a guess - based on local and NODAK shippers.

Cynically --

BNSF can build and delay - it will be 2018 before they catch up.

And the EB will be adversely affected for at least 3 more years. And the oil trains will add more to that.

Optimists only get negative surpises :)

Pessimists at least get to be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

I've heard (TOTAL rumour mill nonsense) that lots of LAST years grain (hard amber durum and such) hasn't been shipped yet.
I think that you heard correctly. Here's a quote from a BNSF flak: "we remain focused on moving last year’s crop in time for this year’s harvest." That was in Monday's Strib. My next planned trip on the Hil Line is October, and I'm expecting epic delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the operative word is indeed "epic". BNSF may have been able to cope somewhat without the massive energy trains that now move on this overstretched route, but the combination of huge harvests, a moderately improving economy and having to use the rails to move most of the Bakken oil is just too much for the Hi-Line. My BNSF guys keep telling me it will get better-in 2016-but I am now thinking this might be more wishful thinking than anything else.

PS-Our local weekly newspaper, The Flathead Beacon, just ran a story this week calling the EB's "broken", also saying that ridership is down and the new schedule is wreaking havoc on the tourist biz--duh!!!

veh. Oh bloody crap. So Xcel is screaming for help to get their coal-fired-plants to have some coal, and the farmers in ND would really like to ship their product, and they can't even get Saskatchewan fertilizer,

Oh my, oh my. And this for a few years -- seems unfortunate -- or planned .

The lateness of the EB seems relativeley minor.

And BNSF gets what? -- total monopoly on all grain - coal - oil - any and all shipments from the Far East, passenger - fertilizer - -- the mind boggles.

How much of the EB route is double tracked?
I don't know the exact number--I will ask my BNSF contacts. BUT, from taking this entire route many times, the vast majority is single track. It is significant to note that there are choke points like the major tunnels and Glacier National park, where double tracking is not likely or possible.

I do believe more of the route from MSP to CHI is double tracked, but again, it doesn't appear to be helping Amtrak that much, as delays do often occur on this portion of the route as well, though certainly not as often or long as the Hi-Line portion of the route.

Could we be looking at a potential suspension of service? With all of the bad news, the awful OTP, and the dropping ridership, could there come a point where it would be better just to suspend the route until conditions improve?

(Obviously with the understanding that Amtrak, not BNSF, is responsible for deciding when service resumes. We don't want a SSL situation).

Three and almost half hours late to MSP. Nice breakfast with a couple from Cincinnati. Will be late enough into LSE to get another AMTRAK lunch

Thank you for your updates, andersone.

For lunch and dinner today would you describe any limitations or creative options on the menus?

I do believe more of the route from MSP to CHI is double tracked, but again, it doesn't appear to be helping Amtrak that much, as delays do often occur on this portion of the route as well, though certainly not as often or long as the Hi-Line portion of the route.
You're right, I think, about BNSF being mostly double tracked. Alas, the Empire Builder runs on the former Milwaukee Road tracks, and much of that line's second track was pulled up in the 1980s. CP gets the blame for delays between MSP and CHI.

I just spoke with an AGR agent, and they said that the EB connection at PDX with the CS is a guaranteed connection. There is a 4-hour layover between the arrival of the EB, and the departure of the CS. Is that still too little time to connect, based on the EB's OTP? Based on my potential schedule, I couldn't afford to miss that connection.

We are connecting from the EB to the CS next year and are overnighting in Portland and taking the next days CS. The AGR agent let us do that. With the abysmal timekeeing of 27, I wouldn't chance it.. Ask if you can do this. It took a while to get the connection approved,but it certainly is peace of mind. Nothing is worse on a train ride then to worry if you'll make your connection.

I may have to do that. I'm surprised that CHI-LAX via PDX is a valid itinerary. It is certainly the best bang for your buck if making a two-zone redemption.

I went ahead an made the reservation. The AGR agent said that I couldn't do the overnight in PDX. I'm going to call back tomorrow and see if I can get someone else who is willing to help me. This trip is meant to be more of a train vacation than a vacation in the cities that I'd be visiting. I have to be able to book airfare from LAX back to DC, and can't do that if I'm uncertain as to whether I'll make the PDX connection.

I dunno, I may have to look at a different routing. Maybe 421? I know it's not that scenic, but I've always wanted to take a 65 hour train trip.

Regardless, I'm flying home in JetBlue's Mint class :D

With "average" delays of just under 4 hours over the past month it is indeed an iffy proposition. But looking at the actuals, there are some days that #27 does indeed arrive in time to catch the CS. #27 was even on time one day recently!! Hope springs eternal.

:)

Any insights as to whether the delays get worse over the winter?

I think what I may do is keep the reservation as is, but book an extra night on the LAX end. That way, I can have an extra day in LA. If I do miss my connection, I get a free night in PDX. I just have to be sure to book a refundable hotel in LA. My big concern is making my flight back to DC, but if I add an extra night in LA, I should be fine.

I don't really want to take 421. The EB is at the top of my LD train list, and I'd like to be able to see a PPC on the CS before they're retired. This routing definitely seems like the best bang for my buck. I've redeemed a two-zone bedroom, a ticket that would have cost me $2200.

I've read the overnight in Portland on your own dime can be done, but that was a month ago. Don't know if that has changed. Like you,we wanted to get the best bang for the buck using AGR points. Tell the agent you read the overnight in PDX is allowable. Chances are you ll be put on hold. We are heading back on 422..it's a nice route, certainly not as nice as the EB,but you get an extra day on the train,pass through the Arizona desert and see some great scenery in West Texas

If you are a train lover, you want to use those points wisely. Let us know how it turns out.

Any insights as to whether the delays get worse over the winter?

I think what I may do is keep the reservation as is, but book an extra night on the LAX end. That way, I can have an extra day in LA. If I do miss my connection, I get a free night in PDX. I just have to be sure to book a refundable hotel in LA. My big concern is making my flight back to DC, but if I add an extra night in LA, I should be fine.

I don't really want to take 421. The EB is at the top of my LD train list, and I'd like to be able to see a PPC on the CS before they're retired. This routing definitely seems like the best bang for my buck. I've redeemed a two-zone bedroom, a ticket that would have cost me $2200.
Well, the construction season will have wrapped up for the year, so that is a plus, BUT winter has its own challenges. A beautiful ride thru the Rockies in the winter though!! My personal guess is that things should be at least a little better during the winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back