EB Mess - 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if I'm booked on EB eastbound on a Monday in late August and it arrives CHI too late for connection to LSL (thus requiring an overnight in Chicago), what are the chances that I'd get a roomette on the LSL that had been booked for someone else who missed connections the next day?

How would I try? I would think that if a room is available, they'd give it to me, but is there some way I can improve my chances?

As soon as you know that you're going to miss your train, call customer service and ask to be rebooked. When it comes to rebooking due to missed connections, the early bird gets the worm.

The other possibility for being reaccomodated in next day sleeper is, if connections are going to be missed the next day due to late trains, then those accomodations are opened up for sale...

Had a great trip on the Empire Builder #7/27, July 23-25. Great crews, awesome OBS, fantastic SCA and "only" 2 1/2 hours late into PDX but we expected that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other possibility for being reaccomodated in next day sleeper is, if connections are going to be missed the next day due to late trains, then those accomodations are opened up for sale...
I think I've asked this before but not gotten a clear answer (I think, since at this point my memory......Ugh.) If you're booked in a roomette, miss the guaranteed connection, and the only sleeper space they have available on the next train is a bedroom, what do they do? I'd hope they'd be willing to negotiate some sort of a deal. Then again, I won;t be surprised if it depends entirely on your negotiating skills. Anyone `walked this tightrope?

I think I've asked this before but not gotten a clear answer (I think, since at this point my memory......Ugh.) If you're booked in a roomette, miss the guaranteed connection, and the only sleeper space they have available on the next train is a bedroom, what do they do? I'd hope they'd be willing to negotiate some sort of a deal. Then again, I won;t be surprised if it depends entirely on your negotiating skills. Anyone `walked this tightrope?
In my one experience with missing my connection I had paid for a Superliner roomette and was rebooked into a Viewliner handicap bedroom, which was very nice. If you are asking if one might have to pay extra for the upgrade, no, I got the better room for no additional charge.

BUT, there were other people who missed the same connection who had paid for roomettes and wound up in coach on the same train as me. I'm not 100 percent sure how it was that I got a bed and they didn't, but I think it was because I had called customer service the moment they said we were not going to make the connection -- the woman I talked to seemed utterly confused by my request and eventually I said "never mind, I'll wait until I get to Chicago to handle it" but when I got to Chicago I was the one person assigned to a bedroom, so maybe she figured it out after I hung up. Or maybe it was just luck. Anyway, the people who wound up in coach were told they would get the sleeping accommodation charge refunded to them.

People who complained about the downgrade were told "Amtrak guarantees transportation, we do not guarantee a level of accommodation."

In my one experience with missing my connection I had paid for a Superliner roomette and was rebooked into a Viewliner handicap bedroom, which was very nice. If you are asking if one might have to pay extra for the upgrade, no, I got the better room for no additional charge.
Actually, Room H is less expensive than a roomette.

The H room becomes available to all passengers 14 days before departure, but only if the regular bedrooms are sold out.

And now that I learned something new.......back to the mess. Does anyone know what happened to 7(1)? There was a service disruption and the last report was from FAR.

as an H room regular it is less expensive than a roomette,, but I have paid my dues to use it,,, and this trip it is She Who Must Be Obeyed who joins me with a malady,, her heel surgery went well, but she is still in one of those real sexy walking casts.

Last edited by a moderator:
And now that I learned something new.......back to the mess. Does anyone know what happened to 7(1)? There was a service disruption and the last report was from FAR.
I boarded in Fargo, so the Saint Paul fiasco was already history. The story I heard was that a freight train engine died and blocked the track 10 miles south of Saint Paul for four hours--during which time the passengers expecting to board at SPUD were on the platform. That was the service disruption; I'm not sure why Dixieland picked up the times to Fargo and then stopped recording them.

Upon leaving Fargo, the train backed through Moorhead to go west on the old Northern Pacific tracks. It stopped on the bridge over the Red River and sat for over a half-hour. There was an announcement that a freight train ahead of us needed to have an engine removed "for reasons unknown."

We passed (or were passed) by several freight trains going the other direction on the Surrey cut-off. I thought the reason BNSF gave for asking Amtrak to send the westbound Empire Builder on the Surrey cut-off was to facilitate one-way traffic on it and the normal (now eastbound only) route. Can anyone comment?

Loaded the Tahoe, headed to Ferryville to see the twin sister of my former mother inlaw

then on to LSE manana to catch the EB.....

to quote Ray Davies

"I am so tired, tired of waiting"

onward and upward

I thought the reason BNSF gave for asking Amtrak to send the westbound Empire Builder on the Surrey cut-off was to facilitate one-way traffic on it and the normal (now eastbound only) route. Can anyone comment?
Construction on the route via Grand Forks, the Hillsboro and Devils Lake subs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back