E-Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience PNR's rarely change, and unless you're joining or splitting a reservation between two or more people there's really no reason for them to change. In general the original PNR will remain active until the last segment has either been used or has expired. After that the PNR will become inactive for a period of time and then eventually be recycled into someone else's newly activated record. Or at least that is my understanding.
Yeah once I had a PNR involved in a non-refundable itinerary cancellation which started its life as an MCO - EWR itinerary and transmogrified itself into a EWR - DEL - EWR itinerary! That was pretty dramatic (from two hour flight to two ~15 hour flights!) :) Of course it did involve adding a bit more money to it too :)

Anyone have experience yet using 1 E-ticket with more then 1 name on it? any conductors give you a hard time since the whole E-ticket thing is new to most of them.

Anyone have experience yet using 1 E-ticket with more then 1 name on it? any conductors give you a hard time since the whole E-ticket thing is new to most of them.
On that same topic, having multiple passengers on one reservation would seem a bit awkward if the passengers were spread around the car, or even different cars, due to crowding. That is not an uncommon problem. You could have four people on the same e-ticket, and it would not be out of the realm of possibility that the only seats open would be in different cars.

On that same topic, having multiple passengers on one reservation would seem a bit awkward if the passengers were spread around the car, or even different cars, due to crowding. That is not an uncommon problem. You could have four people on the same e-ticket, and it would not be out of the realm of possibility that the only seats open would be in different cars.
And as I asked earlier:

A question about groups traveling by eticket: If only one ticket is needed for several people traveling together, what happens if members of a group want to board at different times at a station like WAS where tickets are looked at before going to the platform? Can each member of the party have a copy of the eticket to show?

They can, but once they're on the train once the first one is scanned the rest are done.

Maybe this will be the end of the ticket checks at the gate at WAS. (HA! Like that'll ever happen)

And as I asked earlier:

A question about groups traveling by eticket: If only one ticket is needed for several people traveling together, what happens if members of a group want to board at different times at a station like WAS where tickets are looked at before going to the platform? Can each member of the party have a copy of the eticket to show?
It might work at a station gate where the agent is just looking at a print-out or display to assess the right of a passenger to pass, but on the train, as soon as the conductor scans the e-ticket, it is electronically "punched." If another member of the group on the e-ticket is sitting in another car with a copy of the e-ticket, that ticked would scan as "used." Oops.

If I travel with my wife, we'll just book two separate reservations and chalk it up to an "enhancement" that made things a tiny bit harder for us.

And as I asked earlier:

It might work at a station gate where the agent is just looking at a print-out or display to assess the right of a passenger to pass, but on the train, as soon as the conductor scans the e-ticket, it is electronically "punched." If another member of the group on the e-ticket is sitting in another car with a copy of the e-ticket, that ticked would scan as "used." Oops.

If I travel with my wife, we'll just book two separate reservations and chalk it up to an "enhancement" that made things a tiny bit harder for us.
This doesn't jibe with my experience on three different trains over the last few days. When a conductor scans a bar code (whether printed or on the app or on the QuikTrak printout), they get a screen with the names of all passengers travelling on that reservation. They can "punch" the ticket for any or all of them at that time.

So, you shouldn't need to make separate reservations unless you're planning to board at separate stations. If you're planning on boarding at the same station but at different times or sitting in different places, then make sure you both have printouts. You can print out the e-ticket as many times as you need if you're doing it at home. Or, if you print out your boarding document from a QuikTrak machine or a ticket counter, the machine automatically prints out as many (seemingly identical) copies as you have people in the reservation.

In my case, despite already having a PDF printout, and the iphone app, and an extra PDF printout for my wife just in case, the agent printed out four more e-Ticket documents out of her printer for my whole family when checking our bags. Maybe that part's automatic; I don't know. Either way, I was swimming in e-Ticket printouts by the time I boarded that train. I could have given each member of my family two boarding documents and had them each lose one and still board the train successfully at a different time for a different seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you, I have every ticket stub since 2009 when I started riding amtrak in earnest. Guess that's progress as they say.
Yeh, and when you get to be my age, you will be faced with the dilemma of either getting a dumpster or getting revenge on your kids later.

I have just completed the purchase of my two Amtrak tickets for my three days getaway to the US. I think I messed it up with the delivery method. I always prefer to use Quik-Trak, mainly because I like how the tickets look when printed, nice souvenir. When I completed my payment, I was sent an e-mail with a PDF file, that has a 2-dimensional code (such as those that you can scan with your smartphone). That's an e-ticket, right?
unsure.gif
Is still possible to print out a "copy" at a Quik-Trak machine when I arrive at the States?

They just automatically email that - you'll be able to print at the Quik-Trak with no problems :)

Ok, I have to ask...why did Amtrak do the smartphone angle on this? I definitely get the revamp of the voucher policy, and I also get the shift to scannable tickets (which if nothing else could allow, in the event of a lost ticket, the lost one to be "voided out" and replaced with minimal hassle). I just don't get why "print out a piece of paper at a machine" is so difficult (or why the present system for dealing with un-staffed/un-machined stops was insufficient).

Ok, I have to ask...why did Amtrak do the smartphone angle on this? I definitely get the revamp of the voucher policy, and I also get the shift to scannable tickets (which if nothing else could allow, in the event of a lost ticket, the lost one to be "voided out" and replaced with minimal hassle). I just don't get why "print out a piece of paper at a machine" is so difficult (or why the present system for dealing with un-staffed/un-machined stops was insufficient).
I'm not sure I understand what your driving at, but I would say, sentimentality aside, that it was necassary to bring the ticketing system into the 'Information Age.' The reason Amtrak went with smartphones is cost. Compared to other hardware for similar uses, especially in the not-so-distant past, it was a bargain.

The reason to go to 'print yourself' tickets is one of greater ease of use. There is a reason airlines, theaters, concerts and sports venues have all gone this route. People find it convenient, easy to use, it is one less thing to do at the terminal, and it can mean standing in one less line. In other words, it is popular. It is also cost effective.

Will I miss paper tickets and ticket punchers? Of course.

Does it play havoc with my ticket stub collection? Yes.

But I still get to ride the train. And I can bypass the Quick-Trac now.

Why wouldn't Amtrak allow use of smartphone? Except in case of the App, one can simply use the same PDF document on smartphone too, the exact same one that you'd print out. Why would they not allow the use of such since it reduces the need for carrying additional paper around?

BTW, the only way I can use a smartphone with a AGR Award Ticket is indeed by using the PDF document, since the Amtrak App seems to still know nothing about them.

BTW, it is not just smartphone. Any device will do. The other day I saw someone bring up his e-Ticket on his iPad and that worked fine too.

Basically, because it's the 21st century.

As others noted, it allows people to bypass the line needed to pick up a ticket. If someone is running around and making travel arrangements on the fly, visiting a computer terminal and printer isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do (and, many people don't like logging into e-mail accounts using a computer that isn't their own, so unless they're at home or in their own office, printing out an e-mail may not be an easy option, even if they did have access to a printer).

AU probably doesn't have many (if any) people in this demographic, but there are lots of travelers these days who do make last-minute travel plans, running from the office to the airport/train station, booking tickets on the cab ride over. If you get to the station with seven minutes left to departure, are you going to want to wait in line to pick up your ticket, or fumble around with a quiktrak trying to get your reservation?

Whenever I fly United Airlines, I use the electronic boarding pass if available (not yet available on interlined itineraries or international itineraries) and never touch a piece of paper. Never had a problem.

Granted, there are some hiccups at Amtrak, but system-wide eticketing is barely a week old, so there will be some teething problems. But those will be resolved in due time, as everyone gets used to the system. By this time next year, people will be wondering how Amtrak managed to survive so long without eticketing.

Why not? I love the smartphone app e-ticket. I rarely have paper at home for my printer and some times i am in a hurry.

I just wanted to confirm a few things:

• I just did an AGW redemption online from Selma, NC to Philly, PA for two people. I got one eTicket in my email (the PDF attachment, just to clarify).
  • I modified an AGW sleeper redemption over the phone (you can't change sleeper redemptions online) that was originally booked prior to eTicketing (7/22 or so). It was DC to Chicago, IL. I got an eTicket as well. And there are two passengers for the roomette as well.

I can see where it would be an issue if you only printed out the eTicket once but there are two people on the reservation and you got separated from your traveling buddy because of overcrowding in your train car or whatever. Moral of story: everyone in your party should have a printout of the eTicket. Which makes sense, but it's different an those QT machines because if you have two people in your party, you get two print outs (IIRC).

I just wanted to confirm a few things:

• I just did an AGW redemption online from Selma, NC to Philly, PA for two people. I got one eTicket in my email (the PDF attachment, just to clarify).
  • I modified an AGW sleeper redemption over the phone (you can't change sleeper redemptions online) that was originally booked prior to eTicketing (7/22 or so). It was DC to Chicago, IL. I got an eTicket as well. And there are two passengers for the roomette as well.

I can see where it would be an issue if you only printed out the eTicket once but there are two people on the reservation and you got separated from your traveling buddy because of overcrowding in your train car or whatever. Moral of story: everyone in your party should have a printout of the eTicket. Which makes sense, but it's different an those QT machines because if you have two people in your party, you get two print outs (IIRC).
One eTicket is for multiple people if there is two or more on the reservation.

eTickets were created to be printed as many times by whoever is on the reservation. If you need to print it once or 10 times. Where with the paper tickets if you lost it you were SOL and had to buy new tickets.

Yesterday on 141 the conductor who took tickets in BC either didn't like the scanners or the scanners magically came back online in an hour. He stated the scanners weren't working and they were going to scan them out at WAS. Got on 95 an hour later at BWI and they were working perfectly fine. Go figure.

I'm going to book a trip in which I transfer from Amtrak to a bus. Not an Amtrak Thruway bus, but a regularly scheduled Greyhound. I figure I should print the e-ticket for this portion, right?

Is it going to be ticketed together to begin with? If so, you won't get e-tickets for either portion (side note, I have found an upside to the STL track work bustitutions now).

(Edited to add a few words from misreading initially)

Basically, because it's the 21st century.

As others noted, it allows people to bypass the line needed to pick up a ticket. If someone is running around and making travel arrangements on the fly, visiting a computer terminal and printer isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do (and, many people don't like logging into e-mail accounts using a computer that isn't their own, so unless they're at home or in their own office, printing out an e-mail may not be an easy option, even if they did have access to a printer).

AU probably doesn't have many (if any) people in this demographic, but there are lots of travelers these days who do make last-minute travel plans, running from the office to the airport/train station, booking tickets on the cab ride over. If you get to the station with seven minutes left to departure, are you going to want to wait in line to pick up your ticket, or fumble around with a quiktrak trying to get your reservation?

Whenever I fly United Airlines, I use the electronic boarding pass if available (not yet available on interlined itineraries or international itineraries) and never touch a piece of paper. Never had a problem.

Granted, there are some hiccups at Amtrak, but system-wide eticketing is barely a week old, so there will be some teething problems. But those will be resolved in due time, as everyone gets used to the system. By this time next year, people will be wondering how Amtrak managed to survive so long without eticketing.
"Shoot from the hip" trips have been something I've done before, and I can remember one day when a printer jam plus bad traffic left me running to catch the Cap. Likewise, catching the 5 AM Acela having left southern VA at around 2 AM...that was a very nice example of just how quickly Hampton Roads-Washington DC can be done.

Point is, I've done "run to catch the train" before. Still, there's rarely been an issue hitting a Quik-Trak machine, swiping my card/entering my number, and going.

However, I'll also concede a rather...low opinion of smartphones more than anything.

If I don't get a printable e-ticket, how do I prove to the bus driver I'm authorized to board the bus? Given the difficulties folks here are reporting with gate agents at major stations, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back