E-Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I don't get a printable e-ticket, how do I prove to the bus driver I'm authorized to board the bus? Given the difficulties folks here are reporting with gate agents at major stations, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
You get a traditional ticket to give to the bus driver. The bus driver has no way of processing an e-Ticket since s/he is not equipped with an e-Ticket scanner. And as a matter of fact your entire itinerary involving such a bus segment is ineligible for e-Ticket. You get traditional tickets for all segments. So no disaster for you.

OTOH, if all segments are eligible for e-Ticket, I don;t think you have an option any more to get a traditional ticket for such an itinerary. But clearly your itinerary is not one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Point is, I've done "run to catch the train" before. Still, there's rarely been an issue hitting a Quik-Trak machine, swiping my card/entering my number, and going.

However, I'll also concede a rather...low opinion of smartphones more than anything.
Then don't use a smartphone. There's nothing at all preventing you from booking your trip the way you did before, whether it was by phone in advance and printing at the Quik-Trak, or by purchasing the ticket at the Quik-Trak directly. The Quik-Trak machines are all still there. They do the same things they always did.

Point is, I've done "run to catch the train" before. Still, there's rarely been an issue hitting a Quik-Trak machine, swiping my card/entering my number, and going.

However, I'll also concede a rather...low opinion of smartphones more than anything.
Then don't use a smartphone. There's nothing at all preventing you from booking your trip the way you did before, whether it was by phone in advance and printing at the Quik-Trak, or by purchasing the ticket at the Quik-Trak directly. The Quik-Trak machines are all still there. They do the same things they always did.
Exactly so. I just did an AGR trip on the Silver Star. I scanned the bar-code at the Quik-Trak at my local station (900 miles from where I actually boarded the train) and got another piece of paper with a bar code on it. Was this a "traditional" ticket - don't know and nobody cares

When I boarded my train at WUS the conductor looked at my Quik-trak piece of paper, scanned nothing, compared my name to his manifest, and keyed something in -- just like at the airport -- You ID yourself - OR show barcode - your good.

Nothing new -- just that there's a better electronic system to check passengers against tickets.

Nothing new -- at least 10 years ago my son was stranded on the west coast -- I bought him a ticket online from here in mid-america -- he showed at the station with ID and he got his "paper" ticket and got where he needed to go. Nothing really new with the e-ticket thing - it's just a convenience thing for passengers who lose their paper tickets and for the carrier that paper tickets have no value (all that hassle about getting a lost paid ticket is gone because only the reservation has value. and it's keyed on name, credit card, barcode, whatever) -- what has value is a paid fare from A to B that can be traced back to something in the database like "Passenger with id=A" paid from "A to B"

The thing about e-tickets on airlines or Amtrak is that -- you can't lose your ticket any more -- a stolen paper ticket is no longer worth anything --

That's all what "e-ticket" means --

And it was welcome on the airlines and now an Amtrak -- and I'm totally welcoming the change.

"Shoot from the hip" trips have been something I've done before, and I can remember one day when a printer jam plus bad traffic left me running to catch the Cap. Likewise, catching the 5 AM Acela having left southern VA at around 2 AM...that was a very nice example of just how quickly Hampton Roads-Washington DC can be done.

So continue using the Quik-Trak's and use printed e-Tickets. Why do you want to prevent others from using something they find convenient just because you have what to many would seem a strange personal problem with smartphones? ;) Nobody is forcing you to use one.

I was wondering, so does the Maple Leaf require regular tickets for travel into Canada beyond Niagara Falls ON?

Then you don't have to use one, problem solved.

A smartphone is incredibly convenient for me. It allows me to conduct my business when not at the office.

Then you don't have to use one, problem solved.

A smartphone is incredibly convenient for me. It allows me to conduct my business when not at the office.
As for myself as well. My Mom who doesn't text needs something and I can't be reached at work she sends me an e-mail and I get that rather quickly. Same with Firehouse business. I also check out many rail fan sites on the go. One of which is HeritageUnits.com. Shows all heritage units in the US. Amtrak, NS, and UP! It goes off of reported locations but it seems to be updated frequently.

My smart phone is my mobile office. It can find, interact, and store almost anything and can communicate with nearly everything. All my various phone numbers can reach it. It can turn a voicemail into a text or a text into a voicemail or sweep every unwanted message and phone call under the rug without so much as a peep. All of my email accounts are collected and sorted into a single global inbox. All of my various calendars are collected into one master calendar that remembers virtually everything. When I'm lost it finds me. When I'm curious it informs me. When I'm bored it entertains me. And when I'm grouchy it keeps everyone else from bothering me. I never used to be a mobile phone fanatic. My first mobile phone was big and ugly and clunky. The only reason I had it was because my employer provided a huge discount that made it cheaper than owning a landline. However, today's smart phones are thin and light and extremely powerful. When my last smart phone died I was shocked at how much it impacted my ability to be productive away from the office. I guess it's true what they say about you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

2110i.jpg
< I used to have one of these!

I had my first e-ticket experience yesterday and the only real change that I noticed was the annoying chirping of the conductor's smartphone as he scanned the tix. Got me thinking. :eek: Amtrak should get an app that makes the sound of a paper ticket being punched when a ticket gets scanned. :lol: Kind of like the 'click' of the 'shutter' on the cameras in smartphones.

On another note, I traveled solo, but asked the conductor out of WAS about whether I should get individual or a combined ticket for me and my wife, if we are boarding the same train at WAS, but I go off to get some breakfast while she gets us seats together. Without skipping a beat, he said "Get seperate tickets." Paused a moment and then added: "For now." I think that to be good advice while the conductors, et al, get use to the new way of doing business and 'the details' get sorted out.

On another note, I traveled solo, but asked the conductor out of WAS about whether I should get individual or a combined ticket for me and my wife, if we are boarding the same train at WAS, but I go off to get some breakfast while she gets us seats together. Without skipping a beat, he said "Get seperate tickets." Paused a moment and then added: "For now." I think that to be good advice while the conductors, et al, get use to the new way of doing business and 'the details' get sorted out.
How exactly would having separate e-tickets change anything? Really, you are suppose to wait in your seat until your tickets have been "taken".

But even if you didn't, your wife would be there to turn in your e-ticket for both of you.

The only circumstance I can see where having different e-tickets MIGHT be helpful is if a group was not seated together. But then, that is the train crews problem to deal with, not ours.

How exactly would having separate e-tickets change anything? Really, you are suppose to wait in your seat until your tickets have been "taken".

But even if you didn't, your wife would be there to turn in your e-ticket for both of you.

The only circumstance I can see where having different e-tickets MIGHT be helpful is if a group was not seated together. But then, that is the train crews problem to deal with, not ours.
This was brought up earlier by me in this same thread.

I go get breakfast in WAS (Au Bon Pan has hot egg sandwiches ready to go) while she waits in line (If we are not going through ClubAcela and using a redcap.) They check tix at the gate, they don't scan them, but if she starts to board, I'm playing it safe, 'cause I want to get on the train.

I go get breakfast in WAS (Au Bon Pan has hot egg sandwiches ready to go) while she waits in line (If we are not going through ClubAcela and using a redcap.) They check tix at the gate, they don't scan them, but if she starts to board, I'm playing it safe, 'cause I want to get on the train.
Ah. If that is the issue, why not just print two copies so each of you has one? Still no need for two reservations.

Ah. If that is the issue, why not just print two copies so each of you has one? Still no need for two reservations.
That was the original question. Why not use two copies? See above.

This is a 10 page thread. Not going to search through them all to find a post.

IMHO, the conductor was wrong to suggest two reservations. No need for it.

That wastes other peoples's time.

Thank you for your opinion.
Okay, went back and read. No where did you or anyone else give a reason why separate reservations are needed or better. So it is not like we are covering information already covered so there is no fear of wasting other people's time as you suggest.

I am open to being wrong. Can anyone give me a reason why a husband and wife would be better off with two separate reservations? I just cannot think of any.

That wastes other peoples's time.

Thank you for your opinion.
Okay, went back and read. No where did you or anyone else give a reason why separate reservations are needed or better. So it is not like we are covering information already covered so there is no fear of wasting other people's time as you suggest.

I am open to being wrong. Can anyone give me a reason why a husband and wife would be better off with two separate reservations? I just cannot think of any.
Dude, you really need to chill. Point is, as was discussed earlier, IF my wife's ticket gets scanned and they scan it for the two of us, my copy is useless.

Just ONE reason? It does not apply in my case, but some husbands and wives are happier with seperate reservations! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, you really need to chill. Point is, as was discussed earlier, IF my wife's ticket gets scanned and they scan it for the two of us, my copy is useless.

Just ONE reason? It does not apply in my case, but some husbands and wives are happier with seperate reservations! :lol: :lol: :lol:
First off, I am perfectly chilled. ^_^ Sorry if I came across un-chilled. I was just responding to you comments that I was wasting other peoples time in trying to understand the situation.

Back to the discussion. If your wife's gets your combined e-ticket scanned, it is true another cannot be scanned. You can just simply tell the conductor that your wife provided them with your ticket or even tell them that and then show them your printout. He can then either go on from there or even confirm the information on his device. This would apply to spouses and even groups traveling together.

So again, I still see no reason why two separate reservations would be better or needed.

First off, I am perfectly chilled. ^_^ Sorry if I came across un-chilled. I was just responding to you comments that I was wasting other peoples time in trying to understand the situation.

Back to the discussion. If your wife's gets your combined e-ticket scanned, it is true another cannot be scanned. You can just simply tell the conductor that your wife provided them with your ticket or even tell them that and then show them your printout. He can then either go on from there or even confirm the information on his device. This would apply to spouses and even groups traveling together.

So again, I still see no reason why two separate reservations would be better or needed.
Actually, it would be the Conductor's mistake to mark both travelers as checked in when only one is present. If he makes the mistake he should be able to unwind it by not trying to check in the second traveler a second time.

Actually, it would be the Conductor's mistake to mark both travelers as checked in when only one is present. If he makes the mistake he should be able to unwind it by not trying to check in the second traveler a second time.
So when the conductor scans a code, he then has the option to check in each individual separately on the iPhone?

If that is the case, and he only checks in one of the people on the e-ticket, can the code be scanned again for the second person?

I haven't traveled yet with e-tix (will be doing so at the end of the month) when one has a printout, does the conductor 'collect' these at all? I would presume not, however I can see some of the Conductors on Amtrak doing so because that's what their used to doing. How does this effect the smoking stops & the re-checking some conductors used. It used to be you were told to keep your ticket stubs on you at all times. If the conductor took my paper printout, how do I prove I got off that train for a smoke & I'm not a Hobo? Come to think about it, the same is true on the ap. Can you re-pull up your reservation info after it's been scanned?

peter

They don't take your paper. That wold really cause a problem if you have a connecting train, as you only get one bar/QR code for the entire reservation. Also, the app should have no way of knowing if your ticket has been scanned or not.

They don't take your paper. That wold really cause a problem if you have a connecting train, as you only get one bar/QR code for the entire reservation. Also, the app should have no way of knowing if your ticket has been scanned or not.
Unless of course the App gets an update with that info from the Mother Ship. Who knows that the App actually has access to?

Unless of course the App gets an update with that info from the Mother Ship. Who knows that the App actually has access to?
Seems I remember someone saying somewhere that your trip will disappear from the main screen after a set number of days after your departure. I think they also said you could still access it for several days after that.

So when the conductor scans a code, he then has the option to check in each individual separately on the iPhone?
Yes, one or all of the passengers can be selected/lifted at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back