E-Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it would be the Conductor's mistake to mark both travelers as checked in when only one is present. If he makes the mistake he should be able to unwind it by not trying to check in the second traveler a second time.
So when the conductor scans a code, he then has the option to check in each individual separately on the iPhone?
Yes, one or all of the passengers can be selected/lifted at one time.
So if they do not checkin everyone, can they rescan the code to pull it up for the next person?

If this is the case, then the assumption made earlier in this thread was wrong and would be even more reason there is no need to make separate reservations.

Actually, it would be the Conductor's mistake to mark both travelers as checked in when only one is present. If he makes the mistake he should be able to unwind it by not trying to check in the second traveler a second time.
So when the conductor scans a code, he then has the option to check in each individual separately on the iPhone?
So if they do not checkin everyone, can they rescan the code to pull it up for the next person?

If this is the case, then the assumption made earlier in this thread was wrong and would be even more reason there is no need to make separate reservations.
Yes. That is exactly the point.

However, I am sure we will need another 40 posts before this simple fact gets through everyone' skull :p

I have traveled on a number of times since the 31st and Ive noticed something that was maybe mentioned earlier in this thread. First it seems there is a issue with some conductors not scanning or not scanning a ticket correctly and if a person had a connection their reservation gets cancelled (it happened to me).

I have traveled on a number of times since the 31st and Ive noticed something that was maybe mentioned earlier in this thread. First it seems there is a issue with some conductors not scanning or not scanning a ticket correctly and if a person had a connection their reservation gets cancelled (it happened to me).
That is indeed a very significant potential problem. As usual human ingenuity can undermine almost anything no matter how obscure. Afterall, no matter how godly a conductor might feel, computers are terribly unforgiving, something that we in the IT business learn very early on :)

Yes. That is exactly the point.

However, I am sure we will need another 40 posts before this simple fact gets through everyone' skull :p
Yes, that was established many, many post ago, but getting it through the skulls of the users of the technology (i.e. Amtrak employees), that this function exists may take a while. That was the point the conductor was making - almost as many posts ago. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is indeed a very significant potential problem. As usual human ingenuity can undermine almost anything no matter how obscure. Afterall, no matter how godly a conductor might feel, computers are terribly unforgiving, something that we in the IT business learn very early on :)
Sounds like a design problem to me. Even an ungodly conductor could miss a passenger, or some "glitch" occur. So why would the system do something as draconian as cancel the next segment?

Sounds like a design problem to me. Even an ungodly conductor could miss a passenger, or some "glitch" occur. So why would the system do something as draconian as cancel the next segment?
Revenue, my friend... revenue.

Yes, it is a business policy design problem, that is exposed by the unforgiving nature of IT implementation of the same.

It is a business policy copied from airlines, where it does not face any problems because no one can get onto a plane without checking in first. That critical invariant in the airline industry that makes the policy work there is not met at Amtrak, and therefore something has to give. But how this problem is to be addressed is not something that the IT system designer can handle unilaterally. It is a business process designer who has to decide the fix and give modification requirements to the IT system designer to incorporate.

Yes, it is a business policy design problem, that is exposed by the unforgiving nature of IT implementation of the same.

It is a business policy copied from airlines, where it does not face any problems because no one can get onto a plane without checking in first. That critical invariant in the airline industry that makes the policy work there is not met at Amtrak, and therefore something has to give. But how this problem is to be addressed is not something that the IT system designer can handle unilaterally. It is a business process designer who has to decide the fix and give modification requirements to the IT system designer to incorporate.
Fortunately train staff or station will reauthorize your reservation without charge.

Fortunately train staff or station will reauthorize your reservation without charge.
I think a worst-case scenario would be a passenger on a corridor train connecting to a sleeper on a sold-out long distance train. It is not improbable that a missed or incorrect scan on a BFD-SAC San Joaquin could cancel a roomette on a sold-out Zephyr SAC-CHI . With the roomette now released, it could be resold EMY-CHI resulting in no way to reinstate the original reservation. The passenger arrives SAC and has nowhere to go.

As jis said, Amtrak's ability to ensure that everyone on board was properly scanned-in is much more limited than an airline. They have to rethink this policy. It seems that in some ways Amtrak planners did not explore all the ramifications of the way e-ticketing was implemented.

I purchased my tickets in March, will I need to print my tickets when I get to the station in November

On NER 154. Conductor seemed not interested in barcode in my confirmation email on my tablet screen. He asked for ID and seemed to enter something into his scanner from that. He said bwi, right....And all was well. He didn't point his scanner at the tablet as I expected.

I purchased my tickets in March, will I need to print my tickets when I get to the station in November
If you have an Amtrak account AND you bought your tickets on the website, you should be able to log in and have the e-ticket emailed to you. Otherwise, you will need to get your e-tickets printed at the station either by an agent or a quick track machine.

On NER 154. Conductor seemed not interested in barcode in my confirmation email on my tablet screen. He asked for ID and seemed to enter something into his scanner from that. He said bwi, right....And all was well. He didn't point his scanner at the tablet as I expected.
The confirmation barcode is not the e-ticket barcode. It is only used to pull-up your reservation if you use a Quik Trak kiosk. The conductor was able to access your e-ticket by manually entering your six-digit reservation code from your confirmation.

i haven't been following this thread too closely. being a luddite anything with "e-" in front of it worries me. anyway, we are going spk-chi, chi-was, was-atl and return next month. got an e-mail from amtrak this morning with a link to our e-ticket. so, do i just print this piece of paper and have it scanned by the conductor on each of the six legs of our trip? thanks

i haven't been following this thread too closely. being a luddite anything with "e-" in front of it worries me. anyway, we are going spk-chi, chi-was, was-atl and return next month. got an e-mail from amtrak this morning with a link to our e-ticket. so, do i just print this piece of paper and have it scanned by the conductor on each of the six legs of our trip? thanks
Yup

You know, the situation PRR mentioned above makes me...well, rather nervous given rising load factors, to say nothing of the fact that holiday-time trains tend to sell out regardless. I'm /really/ worried that my sleeper reservations on the Cap around Christmas could get FUBARed by this, and wishing that I'd just bitten the bullet and had them printed before. Yes, it's a teething problem...I'd just rather not be the one who gets chewed up by it.

The other thing that seems worrisome: AGR postings. If you don't show up as having been on board, do you get your points?

I think a worst-case scenario would be a passenger on a corridor train connecting to a sleeper on a sold-out long distance train. It is not improbable that a missed or incorrect scan on a BFD-SAC San Joaquin could cancel a roomette on a sold-out Zephyr SAC-CHI . With the roomette now released, it could be resold EMY-CHI resulting in no way to reinstate the original reservation. The passenger arrives SAC and has nowhere to go.

As jis said, Amtrak's ability to ensure that everyone on board was properly scanned-in is much more limited than an airline. They have to rethink this policy. It seems that in some ways Amtrak planners did not explore all the ramifications of the way e-ticketing was implemented.
It is hard for me to imagine this issue did not come up in the testing phase. You would think somewhere while being implemented on test trains, something similar would have happened and hopefully Amtrak addressed it. Maybe not, but you would hope.

It is hard for me to imagine this issue did not come up in the testing phase. You would think somewhere while being implemented on test trains, something similar would have happened and hopefully Amtrak addressed it. Maybe not, but you would hope.
One would think so. However, it should be noted that in the trial phase I don't think it was ever tested in a scenario presented by PRR above either.

I think in general dispensing with the separate boarding document for each segment possibly has other unintended consequences that have not been thought through fully too. But as I said, they will all be discovered relatively quickly, at least those that really matter. As to whether they will be fixed or not and how, that is a separate matter.

this has probably already been answered. almost always, in my experience, the sca takes our ticket. will the sca take the e-ticket, have the conductor scan it and then bring it back or what?
No idea what is actually being done now. But I suspect the conductor will now be coming by. Especially when people only have their code on their phone.

this has probably already been answered. almost always, in my experience, the sca takes our ticket. will the sca take the e-ticket, have the conductor scan it and then bring it back or what?
No idea what is actually being done now. But I suspect the conductor will now be coming by. Especially when people only have their code on their phone.
could be kind of a pain if you are required to wait at your accomodation for the conductor. when we board the cs in pdx, the sca takes our ticket as we board, we throw our stuff in our roomette and head for the diner for lunch. if we have to wait we may well miss it. same thing nb out of la. the sca takes the tickets, we deposit our stuff and head for a good seat in the ppc.

Not anymore. A policy update just came out last week. Train attendants are not allowed to collect any e-ticket documents from passengers, even with the conductors permission. Basically the conductor can no longer even permit a train attendant to collect tickets.

Over at Flyertalk, a British couple on a USA tour reports getting an e-mail from Amtrak today advising that their on-going Amtrak reservations have been canceled due to a no-show on an Acela trip. They were, in fact, not a no-show, and rode the Acela. Someone or something fouled up with the scanning. Now they are trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together.

Amtrak really has to put an end to this "no-scan, cancel" nonsense. Amtrak is not an airline.

Over at Flyertalk, a British couple on a USA tour reports getting an e-mail from Amtrak today advising that their on-going Amtrak reservations have been canceled due to a no-show on an Acela trip. They were, in fact, not a no-show, and rode the Acela. Someone or something fouled up with the scanning. Now they are trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together.

Amtrak really has to put an end to this "no-scan, cancel" nonsense. Amtrak is not an airline.
I've got a trip coming up that involves six different trains. Suddenly I'm very glad that I booked seperate reservations whenever I'm boarding a sleeper, only making 'guaranteed' connections to coach. With 'no-scan cancel,' even if they screw up and cancel a segment, it will be a lot easier to get a seat than a room when I show up at the ticket window at my connecting station, because I did, in fact, board the train to that station.

Amtrak needs to solve this problem, ASAP. I know hindsight is a dangerous thing, but it is really hard to believe that no one picked up on this 'minor' detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back