Doors didn't open

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something along the same lines happened to me -- 1984, just out of college, taking a European "student tour" -- Flew San Francisco > London, connecting flight to Amsterdam. Supposed to be met by "AESU" (tour) representative at the bag claim area-- no one there. Even had them paged. Ended up taking train into city, found my hotel (tour start) (actually a canal boat). Turns out that the person from AESU doing the pickup only knew that he had "7 passengers that he was meeting", someone on a 'land-only' itinery (not one of the 7) showed up before I did (apparently), he had his seven, so they left!. I did get reimbursement from the tour group for my train fare.

I am a bit surprised that this occured to the young man in Glacier -- you would think that the conductor and/or car attendant would step off & check the platform quite carefully if they had boarding passengers (especially at night). Perhaps (not to exhonerate the crew), the fact that they were running late, they didn't do this checking as well as they should have (time pressures?). I'm glad that he had gear to spend the night outside.

The missed pickup has been answered by the OP in his Post #16. He said that his son's ticket was for the night before the night his son was standing on the platform. So, if interpret his post correctly, his son's name and reservation would not have been on the conductor's passenger list for that night. So this would not have been Amtrak's fault. I'm sorry that his son was not picked up, but being one night off from his reservation is a "big deal" with Amtrak, as it is with airlines, and other reserved seat modes of transportation.
Post # 16 -- that was? I don't see that on this thread?

The reference to the night before....is to him being picked up tonight with a valid ticket dated yesterday. He was on the list of passengers for that route according to customer relations.

The missed pickup has been answered by the OP in his Post #16. He said that his son's ticket was for the night before the night his son was standing on the platform. So, if interpret his post correctly, his son's name and reservation would not have been on the conductor's passenger list for that night. So this would not have been Amtrak's fault. I'm sorry that his son was not picked up, but being one night off from his reservation is a "big deal" with Amtrak, as it is with airlines, and other reserved seat modes of transportation.
No, that was after he called Amtrak. He expressed concern that when his son boards today, it will show yesterday's date (the date he was left there).

Now I'm getting worried, should I invest a couple bucks in a poster board, and print, "Amtrak passenger, please STOP!!" ?

I'm a little surprised they wouldn't open at least one door, and give an all aboard call, even if they don't have any passengers on the manifest. Someone could have bought a ticket online, or through the app an hour before the train comes in, not sure if they would contact the train every time someone purchases a new ticket.

It just seems they should have at least one conductor, open a door and put 2 feet on the ground, and call, before they take off.

I hope the OP comes back and keeps us posted with what happens tonight.

The e-ticket should be updated for all the future legs right by the folks at 1800 USA RAIL. I am not clear why he should need to go into the whitefish station to pick up ANYTHING. When his papers are scanned they should come up with the correct date, even if his print out shows the wrong one.

It sounds like in this case and the other one, Amtrak handled the aftermath properly and did what it could to make things right.
I'm not sure what definition of "aftermath" or "properly" you're using but for me sleeping under a picnic table in 25 degree weather after the train leaves is anything BUT proper handling. Seriously, if the story is true then it's absurd to say Amtrak handled it properly.

Did he wave at the conductor and start walking towards him? Or did he just stand where he was and not move?
Surely you're not implying the paid first time passenger was in any way obligated to get the conductor's attention?

I ask because all doors will generally not open at that stop. While the conductor should have been expecting him, and frankly should have said something, if your son just stood there doing nothing more after making eye contact it is possible that the conductor didn't think that he was the passenger that was expected and perhaps just a railfan there to observe the train passing by.
Oh, it appears you are being serious.

And those green lights do not indicate anything related to the doors. This train does not have automatic doors, they are opened manually only. So please tell your son to not pay any attention to those lights as they won't help him.
In other words they've been about as much help as the never surrender crowd here at AU.

It's entirely reasonable to challenge the veracity of the claim, in my view anyway, but it's quite another to agree to the general premise and still excuse Amtrak's behavior anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like in this case and the other one, Amtrak handled the aftermath properly and did what it could to make things right.
I'm not sure what definition of "aftermath" or "properly" you're using but for me sleeping under a picnic table in 25 degree weather after the train leaves is anything BUT proper handling. Seriously, if the story is true then it's absurd to say Amtrak handled it properly.

Did he wave at the conductor and start walking towards him? Or did he just stand where he was and not move?
Surely you're not implying the paid first time passenger was in any way obligated to get the conductor's attention?

I ask because all doors will generally not open at that stop. While the conductor should have been expecting him, and frankly should have said something, if your son just stood there doing nothing more after making eye contact it is possible that the conductor didn't think that he was the passenger that was expected and perhaps just a railfan there to observe the train passing by.
Oh, it appears you are being serious.

And those green lights do not indicate anything related to the doors. This train does not have automatic doors, they are opened manually only. So please tell your son to not pay any attention to those lights as they won't help him.
In other words they've been about as much help as the never surrender crowd here at AU.
DA, what would you have amtrak do in the situation after the train has left? If this happened to you, what kind of request would you make of amtrak to make it right?

As an aside, and I don't mean any victim blaming (its not the pax fault he got left on the platform!!!!), but I'm surprised that the 18 year old called his parents after this happened rather than just calling amtrak. I'm not sure if its a generational thing, but it kind of sounds to me like the parents have taken the lead in trying to fix this and make sure everything is taken care of. Just my own rant about millennials...don't mind me....sometimes I think I have an old soul. #getoffmylawn

DA, what would you have amtrak do in the situation after the train has left? If this happened to you, what kind of request would you make of amtrak to make it right?
Unlike airlines, bus lines, or rental cars, Amtrak does not have any second chances to “properly” handle the aftermath from an unstaffed station. Therefore in order for them to handle it properly maybe they should step off the train and ask the people standing at unstaffed stations If they are passengers. Seriously, how hard is that?

As an aside, and I don't mean any victim blaming (its not the pax fault he got left on the platform!!!!), but I'm surprised that the 18 year old called his parents after this happened rather than just calling amtrak. I'm not sure if its a generational thing, but it kind of sounds to me like the parents have taken the lead in trying to fix this and make sure everything is taken care of. Just my own rant about millennials...don't mind me....sometimes I think I have an old soul. #getoffmylawn
I’m sure there’s plenty of criticism to go around, but we’re not a forum for discussing intergenerational interaction.

We’re a forum for discussing Amtrak.

Unfortunately we’re diluting our combined wisdom by wasting time coming up with inane excuses.

If the story is true as written then in my view Amtrak screwed up big time.

I didn’t feel the need to say that until the usual apologists showed up to muddy the water.

You did quote #32.

But I do agree with you. I'm not making assumptions, but an 18 year old is supposedly an adult. Why would he call his parents first before he contacts Amtrak (or whoever has caused the problem - airline, car rental, hotel, restaurant, etc...). They may want to talk to that person directly. (If it was a minor, it would be a different story. When I call on behalf of my brother/sister, they ask to speak to them (who are in the room) to verify that I can discuss their case on their behalf.) The parents then have to contact the son.

I would think the son would contact Amtrak first. I'm not saying that they would do this, but they may have said

We screwed up! We are authorizing you to take a cab to Spokane tonight (which we will pay for) to meet the Empire Builder in Spokane this evening/tomorrow morning!
By calling his parents first, he missed that opportunity!

First of all, my sincere apologies for your son having to endure such a terrible experience, helpless comes to mind. I know the feeling because I've had inner city buses do that to me. Sometimes it was their fault, some drivers are cruel or their having a bad day and take it out on passengers. Other times though I did not do enough to get their attention, with some actually stating on their website to pull out your cell phone or to use a flash light and begin waving it around. I don't know what Amtrak says to do, so I can't take either side on this one, just offering my two cents.

However, I've been trained in customer service and the customer is always right even when you know they are wrong. At the very least your son deserves a couple of complimentary meals or a sleeper if one is available.

", but I'm surprised that the 18 year old called his parents after this happened rather than just calling amtrak. I'm not sure if its a generational thing,..."

We were texting back and forth due to the train being late. When the train was pulling away he called me. I didn't want him using up his cell phone battery trying to call Amtrak at that hour, and not being able to get an answer. I told him they weren't going to stop the train and reverse it to go get him. I didn't believe there would be anyway to send someone from another town to pick him up and catch up to the train. So my decision was to settle in for the night and I'd call Amtrak this morning, as the next train going his way isn't until this evening...all day to come up with a solution.

Yes, he or I could have called last night. Maybe, if someone with authority was available they could have sent a cab....from 25 miles away to pick him up, could have turned into a multi-hour ordeal, with lot's of room for error. I offered to my son to find a way to get someone to pick him and take him somewhere...figured a couple calls I could stir up someone if I was footing the bill...he said he was fine, he'd stick it out. Mind you, he was out of site, no people around, warm enough, had some grub, and water.

I'm not making assumptions, but an 18 year old is supposedly an adult. Why would he call his parents first before he contacts Amtrak ...
Back when my kids were 18 years old, they might technically be adults, but that doesn't mean they have experience on how to deal successfully with a large company's reps. They would certainly, always, call me first for advice.

Also, when they were 18, and they needed money, they would call me before going to the bank for a cash loan. :D

Last edited:
There is someone at Amtrak with authority 24 hours a day. They are called Supervisors! And yes, it is possible that they could have contacted and contracted a a cab for your son. It's even possible that they may have provided him a cab, hotel, money for food and expenses and a cab back to the station - all on Amtrak's dime! But instead, by waiting until the morning he (as you said) "slept under a picnic table"!

Amtrak does this sort of thing (providing transportation and/or accommodations) all the time if it's their fault.

At the end of the day, though, Amtrak really screwed up here, no way around it. A passenger on the platform should be welcomed aboard, not missed, especially at a stop that they have to make and having a passenger that appears to be on the manifest. Period.

There's some good advice in the thread for what to do if Amtrak screws up, but it's still Amtrak's fault, based on the OP's description. In my opinion, Amtrak should offer, at minimum, a full voucher (or even a full refund) along with getting the passenger to the destination. They could also offer a partial voucher plus a sleeper upgrade too, but at the end of the day this is 100% on Amtrak.

A mistake that leaves a passenger waiting 24 hours on the HI-Line (not yet as cold as it will be this year) for the next train -- yes a mistake -- but also a blunder.

Doh -- where did you get that "Amtrak handled the aftermath properly and did what it could to make things right." -- citation needed -- ?? ??
No doubt a bad blunder, but the OP said

Spoke to a Customer Relations (thanks for the suggestion), she questioned my story then verified the train was stopped for under a minute, could not explain why someone didn't get off and look around for a ticketed passenger, apologized.
and then went on to describe the solution. I'm always impressed when a large organization after a screw up admits a mistake rather than giving the customer the bum's rush. I was especially impressed that CR would be able to verify so quickly that the train hadn't actually stopped to pick up passengers and admitted it to the customer.

Now CR should have issued a transportation certificate right then and there.

There is someone at Amtrak with authority 24 hours a day. They are called Supervisors! And yes, it is possible that they could have contacted and contracted a a cab for your son. It's even possible that they may have provided him a cab, hotel, money for food and expenses and a cab back to the station - all on Amtrak's dime! But instead, by waiting until the morning he (as you said) "slept under a picnic table"!
This is what I love about AU - you learn something new when you least expect it. The first thing I would have done is call the 800 number. But when the rep told me that I would have to talk to CR who was not open, that I would have to call back tomorrow, I would have been stymied. Even after hanging around here for 5 years, I didn't know about supervisors. I assume you aren't talking about reservation agent supervisors.

Regarding the millennial comment, I have no use for helicopter parents either. But after thinking about it, I like the kid. First of all, it looks like he was backpacking, probably a demographic even smaller than Amtrak riders, and by himself at that. Then he sleeps under a picnic bench without the drama queen/king attitude.

If he gets off at White Pass to talk to the ticket agent it is possible that it will not be done in time so again checking with Customer Support to arrange everything in advance is critical.
Make that Whitefilsh.

If the agent does not do anything to communicate with the train crew, and no one else is getting on or off, it is possible the train will not even stop or be looking for someone to pick up
West Glacier doesn't have an agent. Nor is it a flag stop, so the train should stop.

Note also that likely only one door will open on a coach mid train after the diner and not all the doors will open. Its a quick stop so he needs to get next to the train and be real sure they see him.
The only station that I know of that has signs designating where a passenger is supposed to go is Denver. The EB is the longest or 2nd longest train in the system, so how would the poor guy know where to stand. How would he even know where the diner is?

It is up to him to look for the open door and go quickly in that direction so that they see him.
I think this thesis has already been pretty well shot down.

Regarding the millennial comment, I have no use for helicopter parents either. But after thinking about it, I like the kid. First of all, it looks like he was backpacking, probably a demographic even smaller than Amtrak riders, and by himself at that. Then he sleeps under a picnic bench without the drama queen/king attitude.
Paul I agree that the kid was very resourceful.

At the end of the day, Amtrak messed up BIG time on this one. Hopefully they make it right. I am eagerly awaiting to hear what happens tonight. I hope that the OP's son makes it onto the train tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back