Doors didn't open

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoke to a Customer Relations (thanks for the suggestion), she questioned my story then verified the train was stopped for under a minute, could not explain why someone didn't get off and look around for a ticketed passenger, apologized. Her concern was whether the conductor would allow him to board tonight with a ticket from yesterday. He needs to get to the next town, White Fish, that can issue tickets, and ensure that the train wont just drop him off and leave while he's waiting to reprint new tickets, leaving him stranded for another 24 hours. She told me what to have him say to the conductor, but with further thought decided to open a 'case file' to have a little more clout with the conductor. Either they'll wait for him at White Fish or allow him to go on to Portland on his day old tickets. Once there he has a delay that will allow reprinting for the rest of the adventure!! Skipping one of his planned stops further down the line, he'll end up home at the original planned time.
In this whole thread, this is the only point where I see that Amtrak did anything close to "handle the situation properly". And if this is indeed how Amtrak played (which I don't doubt), I am certainly disappointed as it is anything BUT proper.

The fact that this is the SECOND time in recent days that this has happened. When something this egregious happens, I would expect bells and whistles on EVERY conductor's iPhone to go off and require an acknowledgement to avoid something like this.

As far as a proper resolution goes, the bare minimum should have been an immediate "Stay where you are - your ticket will be valid for the next train." Customer service should never try to confuse someone with going to the next stop, hope you can reprint your tickets, etc. etc. Conductors can make the numbers work. With E-Tickets, there is NO excuse.

Next, they should have done EVERYTHING possible to get your son to the train - though that would be pretty tough. If nothing else, transit to the next town and a hotel room would be what I'd ask for.

Finally, I'm not into firing for offenses like this as much as I believe that reprimanding is important. If a conductor can lose his job - or at least be lashed 40 times with a wet noodle - for letting a passenger miss his stop, I think the same action should be taken for not making due effort in picking up passengers.

Anyway, tonight's train seems to be running 2 1/2 hours late. I hope your son is aboard, warm, and fed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed that the folks on the EB really screwed the pooch on this one. The "blame the passenger" feeling that came out earlier in the thread is unfortunate.

Glad it wasn't a family with small children.......

Did he wave at the conductor and start walking towards him? Or did he just stand where he was and not move?I ask because all doors will generally not open at that stop. While the conductor should have been expecting him, and frankly should have said something, if your son just stood there doing nothing more after making eye contact it is possible that the conductor didn't think that he was the passenger that was expected and perhaps just a railfan there to observe the train passing by.And those green lights do not indicate anything related to the doors. This train does not have automatic doors, they are opened manually only. So please tell your son to not pay any attention to those lights as they won't help him.
Yes, it was obviously the passenger's fault. He should have been jumping up and down and waving his arms wildly. Riding Amtrak is just that shade of awesome.

/sarc
I never suggested that it was the passenger's fault. But leave it to an extremist like you to read more into the simple questions that I asked.

Again, I said that the conductor should have done more. But at the same time, simply standing there and not doing anything isn't exactly the correct response either. If one sees someone sticking their head out of a door, then one should at least wave, move towards that open door, wave, etc.

Did he wave at the conductor and start walking towards him? Or did he just stand where he was and not move?
Surely you're not implying the paid first time passenger was in any way obligated to get the conductor's attention?
No, I wasn't. But leave it to you to read more into everything that anyone says to suit your slanted view of everything Amtrak. :angry:

But common sense should also make one react to the fact that other doors aren't opening and that one should be proactive if one doesn't wish to get left behind.

And those green lights do not indicate anything related to the doors. This train does not have automatic doors, they are opened manually only. So please tell your son to not pay any attention to those lights as they won't help him.
In other words they've been about as much help as the never surrender crowd here at AU.
This isn't about surrendering, even though you'd like it to be, since it allows you to do the same.

The OP John made mention of the fact that his son observed the lights and assumed that meant that the doors were about to open. Unlike you, I provided helpful information that he could convey to his son with whom he was in contact with so as to avoid having his son make the same mistake again.

But of course you'd much rather just sit there and continue to assume the worst!

It's entirely reasonable to challenge the veracity of the claim, in my view anyway, but it's quite another to agree to the general premise and still excuse Amtrak's behavior anyway.
I didn't do that, but of course you wanted to believe that so you ignored the part of my statement where I clearly stated that the conductor should have done more.

I didn’t feel the need to say that until the usual apologists showed up to muddy the water.
The only one muddying the water here would seem to be you. You're the one reading what you want to believe into the statements & questions that I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he wave at the conductor and start walking towards him? Or did he just stand where he was and not move?I ask because all doors will generally not open at that stop. While the conductor should have been expecting him, and frankly should have said something, if your son just stood there doing nothing more after making eye contact it is possible that the conductor didn't think that he was the passenger that was expected and perhaps just a railfan there to observe the train passing by.And those green lights do not indicate anything related to the doors. This train does not have automatic doors, they are opened manually only. So please tell your son to not pay any attention to those lights as they won't help him.
Yes, it was obviously the passenger's fault. He should have been jumping up and down and waving his arms wildly. Riding Amtrak is just that shade of awesome.

/sarc
I never suggested that it was the passenger's fault. But leave it to an extremist like you to read more into the simple questions that I asked.

Again, I said that the conductor should have done more. But at the same time, simply standing there and not doing anything isn't exactly the correct response either. If one sees someone sticking their head out of a door, then one should at least wave, move towards that open door, wave, etc.
Given the situation as described, there is no way the passenger has any culpability here. None whatsoever. I'm sorry, but there is no reason for a passenger to assume that a train would stop at a scheduled station then leave without opening the doors to allow boarding. I certainly would not assume that, and I've been around the travel track a few times. I would stand there and assume the doors would open momentarily. Once the train started to move, it would be too late.

As described, Amtrak is 100% at fault. Not 95% or 99% - 100%. If something happened to the kid overnight. and thank goodness it did not, Amtrak would have been in serious hot water - and rightly so.

/sarc

Given the situation as described, there is no way the passenger has any culpability here. None whatsoever. I'm sorry, but there is no reason for a passenger to assume that a train would stop at a scheduled station then leave without opening the doors to allow boarding. I certainly would not assume that, and I've been around the travel track a few times. I would stand there and assume the doors would open momentarily. Once the train started to move, it would be too late.

As described, Amtrak is 100% at fault. Not 95% or 99% - 100%. If something happened to the kid overnight. and thank goodness it did not, Amtrak would have been in serious hot water - and rightly so.
Suggesting that someone be proactive doesn't absolve Amtrak of any blame. The two don't go hand in hand.

Quite the discussion today! Wow!

Looks like from the track a train page the train is running 1hr 25min late. Kid said he got a text saying it would be at West Glacier at 9:40. Will post if/when he gets on.

Couldn't get the pics to post...but maybe you can copy and past....?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/107915364@N04/10718926843/in/photostream/

If it works...that's the sleeping arrangements

http://www.flickr.com/photos/107915364@N04/10718744376/in/photostream/

And that's why he wanted to travel in that area!

Preview shows they posted as links....hope so!
The links worked. Looks coooold! But that lake is mighty beautiful!

Really looking forward to what happens this evening.

Think he turned into the 'Cookie Monster' up there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/107915364@N04/10718928173/in/photostream/

Quick story behind all this....He's due to join the Air Force soon, oldest brother is a Marine on the west coast so he sees him often, next brother is in the Air Force in Maryland, Wanted to spend some time with his brother on the east coast...you know how families get separated. We were talking about my boyhood days hopping freights in Illinois and he asked about riding a train back from Maryland. I told him if he put up the money for the round trip flight, I'd pay the difference and he could ride the train across country. Don't know if an opportunity like that would ever be available again...service, jobs, life, etc. He chose the route, wanted to see the north, having grown up down here in the desert! Well he got to see it alright!

Your son likes my kind of adventure! Bravo and kudos! :) When I have the time, I ride all over the place just for the heck of seeing that place, even if it's flat plains for miles.

Swadian...Thanks!

Just got a txt from the kid. He's on the train, they'll allow him time at Whitefish to get new tickets, won't leave without him.

Thanks all for the comments, etc. Will update in the morning.

Swadian...Thanks!

Just got a txt from the kid. He's on the train, they'll allow him time at Whitefish to get new tickets, won't leave without him.

Thanks all for the comments, etc. Will update in the morning.
Glad to hear that. Thankfully he was prepared for the night on the ground.

Hope the rest of this trip goes MUCH better.

Dan

I'm still confused! What new tickets must he get? :huh:
With e-ticketing, it's all electronic. The conductor can even look up his name on his scanner, so there is really no need for new tickets! (As an example, I had to switch my reservation less than 30 minutes before departure. When the conductor came around to scan tickets, I was in my room with the curtain shut. I took a little too long to answer, and the conductor asked "David?" - Remember that I was not even assigned that room 30 minutes before! The only way he would have known my name was by looking it up on his scanner!)

Tickets, voucher, I don't know, he did like a 15 day pass allowing 8 segments of travel. He has something printed that shows the 'reservations' and customer relations was concerned that he might have issues if he didn't pick up new 'tickets' with updated times and dates. He just texted a couple minutes ago...office was closed, guess the office person is the baggage handler and was unloading, go figure! Office re-opened he got his new 'tickets', back on the train headed to Portland! All is well!!

Tickets, voucher, I don't know, he did like a 15 day pass allowing 8 segments of travel. He has something printed that shows the 'reservations' and customer relations was concerned that he might have issues if he didn't pick up new 'tickets' with updated times and dates. He just texted a couple minutes ago...office was closed, guess the office person is the baggage handler and was unloading, go figure! Office re-opened he got his new 'tickets', back on the train headed to Portland! All is well!!
Glad to hear he is back on trak. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures, sounds like he is the type who can make the best out of a bad situation.

Thank you for giving the update! Looks like he's got his cold weather survival training out of the way! Wild story and sounds like he handled himself perfectly-I know you've got to be proud of him and his brothers who are in service as well.

Thanks all!

Yes, very proud of all three! I think this one has gotten quite a bit of training on this trip.

Regarding the millennial comment, I have no use for helicopter parents either. But after thinking about it, I like the kid. First of all, it looks like he was backpacking, probably a demographic even smaller than Amtrak riders, and by himself at that. Then he sleeps under a picnic bench without the drama queen/king attitude.
I like him too, Paul. The fact that he was in contact with his father shows that a trusting relationship exists there. And as you said-no drama. Kudos to both father and son.

This one and the other one that had this happen on the Cardinal recently both.

It's easy to imagine a guest poster showing up here absolutely irate and just venting about how Amtrak is the worst and they're going to sue and call their congressperson and we're all stupid for liking Amtrak and yeah, they should have gotten out of their car and gone to the platform when they saw the train but IT'S AMTRACKS FAULT THEY SHOULD HAVE WAITED FOR ME!!!11!1!!!

Instead, both were level headed, and rolled with the punches. Sad that they were put in the situation and hopefully Amtrak will take corrective measures, but they handled it way better than most would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back