Don't lose your return ticket - lesson learned

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is because the kid is a kid. Service employees judge every single customer as to how much tip they think they can get out of them no matter if they are waiting tables at a restaurant or putting down beds in a sleeping car. Younger folks typically don't tip good or tip at all so they are neglected frequently. It is just how the tipping system works.
yep, that's probably it. Too bad tho, someone could've made a little extra $$. I gave him a $20 bill & a $10 bill to tip the attendant accordingly.

It is because the kid is a kid. Service employees judge every single customer as to how much tip they think they can get out of them no matter if they are waiting tables at a restaurant or putting down beds in a sleeping car. Younger folks typically don't tip good or tip at all so they are neglected frequently. It is just how the tipping system works.
shouldn't matter and that's discrimination.

That was not what I expected or experienced when I was young (don't ask :rolleyes: ). The default should be at least the contracted service, not to disappear. Tipping is for service rendered and shouldn't be anticipated without knowing the person and hasn't been like that. I have never had that happen, but did have an SCA on the CZ who did the very minimum and vanished into his cabin. He said he was quitting and didn't care.

No offense, but that's not how the tipping system works. The tipping system works thusly: The employee provides service. If the service is good, I tip him/her. If it's excellent, I tip him/her more, and I tell him/her how pleased I am. If the service is bad, I don't tip. If it's non-existent, I report it. I never leave the gratuitous penny or nickle; that's in poor taste, as Miss manners would say.

My point is, service providers doesn't control the tipping system, but they can definitely affect the results. The good ones know that.

The kid was probably too nice to make a fuss, but he might have benefited by seeking out some Amtrak official on the train and asking what service he was entitled to as a sleeper passenger. And, after receiving the $10 or $20, the employee might have thought twice about ignoring young passengers the next time.

Now, just to be fair, it's possible that the train was understaffed and the attendant was holding down two cars and maybe the other car was full of nanogenerians who needed a lot of attention. But even so, (s)he should have sought out the kid and explained the situation.

Now, just to be fair, it's possible that the train was understaffed and the attendant was holding down two cars and maybe the other car was full of nanogenerians who needed a lot of attention. But even so, (s)he should have sought out the kid and explained the situation.

Just how small are "nanogenerians"? By my reckoning I'd guess about 0.000000006 inches. :lol: :p

Thanks, BJG. That's sort of the way I thought it would happen. Which leads me to ask, do train tickets have a unique number like air tickets do? I'm looking at my confirmation for my upcoming NYP - EMY trip and there is no ticket number there. I don't have an actual ticket to look at. I suspect they don't, and that's why you have to treat a ticket like cash. Otherwise, it seems it would be relatively simple to cancel a lost ticket so that it cannot be used sometime later.
George,

There is a unique ticket number for every ticket issued, it's printed by the company that produces Amtrak's ticket stock, not by the ticket printer that puts your info on the ticket.

And while you're correct that it's not a big deal to void that ticket number in the computer system, the problem is that a conductor on the train would have no way of knowing that the ticket has been voided. He/she has no computer to scan that barcoded number to see if the ticket got cancelled. By the time Amtrak realized that the ticket got used, despite being voided, the person using the ticket will have been at their destination for at least 2 days and perhaps as long as a week.

Now personally Amtrak probably could alter its policy towards sleeping car passengers, where it's easy to know if someone tries to use that lost ticket. But then you'd probably have someone complaining that it's unfair to those in coach. So I'm guessing that why things remain as they are.

Once Amtrak finally gets E-ticketing and automated ticket collections off the ground, this problem would go away or at least be greatly reduced.

No offense, but that's not how the tipping system works. The tipping system works thusly: The employee provides service. If the service is good, I tip him/her. If it's excellent, I tip him/her more, and I tell him/her how pleased I am. If the service is bad, I don't tip. If it's non-existent, I report it. I never leave the gratuitous penny or nickle; that's in poor taste, as Miss manners would say.

My point is, service providers doesn't control the tipping system, but they can definitely affect the results. The good ones know that.

The kid was probably too nice to make a fuss, but he might have benefited by seeking out some Amtrak official on the train and asking what service he was entitled to as a sleeper passenger. And, after receiving the $10 or $20, the employee might have thought twice about ignoring young passengers the next time.

Don't care if you are offended, you are out of touch. I have worked commission jobs in the past and every salesperson I worked with myself included would size up customers and pay more attention to those that we thought would give us larger sales. It is all about the Benjamens and giving some customers more or less attention based on stereotypes is part of good time management.

There is a unique ticket number for every ticket issued, it's printed by the company that produces Amtrak's ticket stock, not by the ticket printer that puts your info on the ticket.
Actually, there are two unique numbers on each ticket. One is the ticket stock number, which is preprinted. The other is a ticket number, which is printed by the ticket printer at time of issue. The ticket number also appears on your ticket stub, in the lower left hand corner (in fact, if the printer isn't aligned properly, sometimes the first digit or two of the ticket number can get cut off after the ticket is lifted).

It would be nice if Amtrak could switch over to bar coded computerized ticketing that would allow you to print tickets at home, much like many concert and sports venues allow. Then the Conductor simply hits your ticket, be it "hard" or instant with a handheld scanner and that records all the information. At the end of the run, the scanner is downloaded into the central computer for accounting. In my case, as I do not have a manned station within 200 miles, it would make life much easier. And those who prefer hard tickets would still have the option to pick those up in person or get them via mail, and they would carry the scan codes.

It would be nice if Amtrak could switch over to bar coded computerized ticketing that would allow you to print tickets at home, much like many concert and sports venues allow. Then the Conductor simply hits your ticket, be it "hard" or instant with a handheld scanner and that records all the information. At the end of the run, the scanner is downloaded into the central computer for accounting. In my case, as I do not have a manned station within 200 miles, it would make life much easier. And those who prefer hard tickets would still have the option to pick those up in person or get them via mail, and they would carry the scan codes.
we've been through this before. there are working on it.

Don't care if you are offended, you are out of touch. I have worked commission jobs in the past and every salesperson I worked with myself included would size up customers and pay more attention to those that we thought would give us larger sales. It is all about the Benjamens and giving some customers more or less attention based on stereotypes is part of good time management.
As they say, "You can't judge a book by it's cover." :rolleyes:

Back in the 1980's I was a desk clerk at a hotel. The wrestlers of the WWE (then called WWF) stayed there. One wrestler was George the Animal Steele. If you remember him, in the ring he was one of the meanest people! I got to know him one day - and he is probably the nicest person I ever met!

If I didn't know what they looked like, I would not think Bill Gates, Warren Buffet or Sam Walton are (or were) among the richest men on earth!

As they say, "You can't judge a book by it's cover." :rolleyes:

Back in the 1980's I was a desk clerk at a hotel. The wrestlers of the WWE (then called WWF) stayed there. One wrestler was George the Animal Steele. If you remember him, in the ring he was one of the meanest people! I got to know him one day - and he is probably the nicest person I ever met!

If I didn't know what they looked like, I would not think Bill Gates, Warren Buffet or Sam Walton are (or were) among the richest men on earth!
I agree with The Traveler, and don't worry, I'm not offended. I don't even know who's trying to offend me ("guest_guest"). :lol: My point was, the passenger controls the tipping system, not the servicer. I too have seen the behavior you describe, particularly in restaurants where I'm dining alone or with one other, and I see all the service going to the party of eight. All I'm trying to say is, the tipping system works only because and if we, the paying passengers, make it work.

I'm not thinking he got gypped in any way.
he did get gypped, and so did my wife and i on one of the three sleeper legs of our christmas trip. same story -- never same an attendant at all, put up our own beds, nearly missed breakfast because the intercom didn't work in our car, etc. i've had better and worse service from attendants in the past, but no service at all means your son did not get the full value of the ticket he (you) paid for.

i am sending amtrak a letter about our experience today and hope i'll get at least a voucher of some kind. i recommend you do the same.

It's not just a matter of genuinely lost tickets being used, but of people falsely claiming to have lost a ticket. For example, you could get a ticket reissued, then later have it refunded. You then use the "lost" ticket onboard. If Amtrak questions you later about the ticket being used, you'd just say it must have been someone who stole it.

Any sort of replacement of paper tickets will require the conductor or whomever takes the tickets to have real-time access to the reservation system, just like an airline gate agent does.

Actually, there are two unique numbers on each ticket. One is the ticket stock number, which is preprinted. The other is a ticket number, which is printed by the ticket printer at time of issue. The ticket number also appears on your ticket stub, in the lower left hand corner (in fact, if the printer isn't aligned properly, sometimes the first digit or two of the ticket number can get cut off after the ticket is lifted).
Are there any QuikTrak machines out there that are aligned correctly? I don't think I've ever encountered one that didn't print such that the first two letters of my last name, first two characters of the ticket/reservation number, etc, are ripped off when the ticket is lifted!

remind me never to tip you :rolleyes:

Are there any QuikTrak machines out there that are aligned correctly? I don't think I've ever encountered one that didn't print such that the first two letters of my last name, first two characters of the ticket/reservation number, etc, are ripped off when the ticket is lifted!
If there is, it has eluded me too! :rolleyes:

Don't care if you are offended, you are out of touch. I have worked commission jobs in the past and every salesperson I worked with myself included would size up customers and pay more attention to those that we thought would give us larger sales. It is all about the Benjamens [sp] and giving some customers more or less attention based on stereotypes is part of good time management.
Well sir, I am NOT out of touch. It does not offend me either and here is why --- if a business or its employees every treats me this way, my business just goes elsewhere. I addition, management is made aware of the reason. I live in the Los Angeles area and there are a significant number of places that try this as a business model, it just comes with the territory. Inevitability they are mostly gone in a year or less, a few hang on for a couple of years. Thus, the customer controls the tipping system. ;)

Well, it's a no go on a refund. I talked with Amtrak. If you lose your ticket, it is the same as losing cash. I COULD fill out the Lost Ticket Refund form, minus the $75 and also 10% of the cost of the original ticket. Plus the agent said it would take a minimum of 6 - 8 months to receive my portion of the refund. (she even said it's probably not even worth it - hahaha!)

I even spoke with the supervisor.

It does, however, give me a bad taste, this being our first experience with Amtrak. But then again, it would be the same with an airline too. If you lose a ticket, you wouldn't get a refund. In all probability with an airline, you wouldn't even get re-booked. Or you would have to pay an exorbitant amount for the last minute re-booking.

I could just smack my kid upside the head for losing this. Plus I'm ticked at myself letting it happen!

Thanks to all ~ :)

I'd still suggest that you fill out the form and get some of your money back. And if you and/or your son are going to be taking Amtrak in the future, then request the voucher so that you don't loose the 10%.

He was in a sleeper he is supposed to have an attendant to do things for him. Putting down the beds is the attendants most basic role. Some attendants are great and give you personal attention, and will have a conversation with you. Others will simply take care of your bed and keep the coffee machine stocked, and spend the rest of their day in the dining car. Then there are attendants like your son encountered, or didn't encounter. The attendant who shouldn't be an Amtrak employee. Who provide 0 service, and manage to stay hidden the entire trip. You should contact Amtrak about this attendant, even though he doesn't have a name the train and date of travel and car number are enough for Amtrak to track them down. Regardless of who you are if your in a sleeper your attendant is supposed to fulfill some tasks. Some go above and beyond, and those are the great attendants that are tipped well and praised here on the board. Your son obviously didn't encounter one of those.
Below is the e-mail I sent to Amtrak after my recent trip. A tale of two trips.

Please forward this e-mail to Customer Service. I travelled on Train #29 from Washington to Chicago on January 8, 2010. I want to compliment the sleeping car attendant, Brenda. I've had her on other trips I've taken on the Capitol Limited and she is the most wonderful Amtrak employee that I have encountered. She is professional, hard working and friendly. She did a wonderful job taking care of me and the other passengers. She kept the car (2900) in pristine condition throughout the trip. The bathrooms were flawlessly clean, as if no one had used them. There were numerous passengers in the car who were transferring to trains in Chicago that had been cancelled because of weather. She was peppered with questions about connections and was able to handle them effectively and in such a manner to allay the fears of those passengers and allow them to enjoy their trip to Chicago. Please accept my thanks for a most enjoyable trip on Amtrak due to the efforts and abilities of Brenda.

I encountered the almost complete opposite on my return trip on the Cardinal on 1/9/2010, car 5000, room 8. Rasheed was the car attendant that trip. He was missing in action for 90% of the trip from Chicago to Charlottesville. The toliets stopped working about 2 hours out of Chicago. No announcement was made and when I asked Rasheed at the Indianapolis stop about the toilets he blamed it on "maintenance" in Chicago. He offered no suggestions of where sleeping car passengers should use restrooms nor offered any insight as to if/when the problem would be resolved other than saying they would probably thaw out somehwere in Virginia. The interior of the car was filthy and a greenish pool of slimy water was in the sink next to the coffe urn and ice bag. Again he blamed maintenance for not fixing the sink in Chicago. He announced breakfast at 7:30 when the diner opened at 6:00 and never made a lunch announcement. I certainly understand that weather creates difficulties with trains and plumbing so my complaint isn't about a late train or no toilet. It's about how problems are handled. Brenda handled problems of a more significant nature to Amtrak's advantage while Rasheed allowed issues to go unresolved cultivating a negative perception of Amtrak's ability to properly serve passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was in a sleeper he is supposed to have an attendant to do things for him. Putting down the beds is the attendants most basic role. Some attendants are great and give you personal attention, and will have a conversation with you. Others will simply take care of your bed and keep the coffee machine stocked, and spend the rest of their day in the dining car. Then there are attendants like your son encountered, or didn't encounter. The attendant who shouldn't be an Amtrak employee. Who provide 0 service, and manage to stay hidden the entire trip. You should contact Amtrak about this attendant, even though he doesn't have a name the train and date of travel and car number are enough for Amtrak to track them down. Regardless of who you are if your in a sleeper your attendant is supposed to fulfill some tasks. Some go above and beyond, and those are the great attendants that are tipped well and praised here on the board. Your son obviously didn't encounter one of those.

Please forward this e-mail to Customer Service. I travelled on Train #29 from Washington to Chicago on January 8, 2010. I want to compliment the sleeping car attendant, Brenda. I've had her on other trips I've taken on the Capitol Limited and she is the most wonderful Amtrak employee that I have encountered. She is professional, hard working and friendly. She did a wonderful job taking care of me and the other passengers. She kept the car (2900) in pristine condition throughout the trip. The bathrooms were flawlessly clean, as if no one had used them. There were numerous passengers in the car who were transferring to trains in Chicago that had been cancelled because of weather. She was peppered with questions about connections and was able to handle them effectively and in such a manner to allay the fears of those passengers and allow them to enjoy their trip to Chicago. Please accept my thanks for a most enjoyable trip on Amtrak due to the efforts and abilities of Brenda.

I encountered the almost complete opposite on my return trip on the Cardinal on 1/9/2010, car 5000, room 8. Rasheed was the car attendant that trip. He was missing in action for 90% of the trip from Chicago to Charlottesville. The toliets stopped working about 2 hours out of Chicago. No announcement was made and when I asked Rasheed at the Indianapolis stop about the toilets he blamed it on "maintenance" in Chicago. He offered no suggestions of where sleeping car passengers should use restrooms nor offered any insight as to if/when the problem would be resolved other than saying they would probably thaw out somehwere in Virginia. The interior of the car was filthy and a greenish pool of slimy water was in the sink next to the coffe urn and ice bag. Again he blamed maintenance for not fixing the sink in Chicago. He announced breakfast at 7:30 when the diner opened at 6:00 and never made a lunch announcement. I certainly understand that weather creates difficulties with trains and plumbing so my complaint isn't about a late train or no toilet. It's about how problems are handled. Brenda handled problems of a more significant nature to Amtrak's advantage while Rasheed allowed issues to go unresolved cultivating a negative perception of Amtrak's ability to properly serve passengers.
Please let us know if you receive a response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I travelled on Train #29 from Washington to Chicago on January 8, 2010. I want to compliment the sleeping car attendant, Brenda. I've had her on other trips I've taken on the Capitol Limited and she is the most wonderful Amtrak employee that I have encountered. She is professional, hard working and friendly. She did a wonderful job taking care of me and the other passengers. She kept the car (2900) in pristine condition throughout the trip. The bathrooms were flawlessly clean, as if no one had used them. There were numerous passengers in the car who were transferring to trains in Chicago that had been cancelled because of weather. She was peppered with questions about connections and was able to handle them effectively and in such a manner to allay the fears of those passengers and allow them to enjoy their trip to Chicago. Please accept my thanks for a most enjoyable trip on Amtrak due to the efforts and abilities of Brenda.
This is off topic, but Brenda was my sleeping car attendant in March 2009 on the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington. I had never traveled in a sleeping car, and Brenda's work was a great introduction to the service one can expect. It made the trip a memorable one.

Will do, Amtrak's e-mail response was that it could take up to seven weeks.

Will do, Amtrak's e-mail response was that it could take up to seven weeks.

good grief...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back