Don't lose your return ticket - lesson learned

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shytown

Train Attendant
My son did not have his issued ticket for the return portion of his trip (Chi to NOLA). What he had was his bar code reservation summary. He knew he still needed to check in and thought he would be issued his return ticket.

The Amtrak clerk at Union Station was not very pleasant and said he couldn't board until we purchased the one way ticket at $180. So, that's what we did. Even though she pulled him up on the computer & saw that he was booked. She said she was just following the rules. He was even "rebooked" into the same sleeper that he was originally booked in.

Man o man. What a bummer. He said he had NO CLUE that "the other" ticket was in the paper sleeve. We try not to be hovering parents and he's not a goof up kind of kid & is no stranger to travel. (Even tho I did explain that for flights, you STILL have to keep your tickets for the return portion. ;) )

But, wow... what an expensive mistake. Lesson definitely learned. DON'T LOSE THAT RETURN PORTION OF YOUR TICKET!

I sure don't know how Amtrak handles these things and what the rules are, but from a purely logical point of view, it seems to me that if he was reserved in a sleeper and had a room assignment AND had proper identification, all Amtrak had to do was re-issue the ticket. If someone else showed up with the same ticket wanting to use the same room, surely they would be refused boarding.

I would firmly and politely take this one up the chain of command and get a refund for the lost portion. Collect all your facts, documentation, and other evidence and go for it, I say.

I misplaced a ticket for the last leg of my trip last year (found it later). I checked with the agent to see if they could just reprint it. I had printed the e-mail with the reservation number, which I showed the agent. She looked it up on the computer & reprinted it. No problem. (This also happened at CUS)

So, I agree, take it up the chain of command & try to get that $180 back.

I sure don't know how Amtrak handles these things and what the rules are, but from a purely logical point of view, it seems to me that if he was reserved in a sleeper and had a room assignment AND had proper identification, all Amtrak had to do was re-issue the ticket. If someone else showed up with the same ticket wanting to use the same room, surely they would be refused boarding.
I would firmly and politely take this one up the chain of command and get a refund for the lost portion. Collect all your facts, documentation, and other evidence and go for it, I say.
If someone did show up (not necessarily at CHI, but at another - even unstaffed - station down the line), who is going to refuse them boarding? :huh: (Even at CHI, they only check to see if you have a ticket, before you go out to the platform.) Unlike an airport, where all passengers go thru 1 gate and they run your boarding pass thru a machine, your Amtrak ticket may not even be pulled until the train is 20 miles out of town! And I hardly think the train will turn around and go back!

There is a procedure where you can file for a refund. But they need to wait for a year before they can issue the refund - to see if the unused ticket had not been used or refunded. (The ticket is valid for 1 year.)

Shytown,

You say he had no idea that the ticket was in that sleve. What happened to that sleve? Did he throw it away? Or is it someplace that you can still get it? If you can recover that lost ticket, your life will be much easier and you'll get more of your money back. In fact, if you can find the ticket, you have up to 1 year to either refund it minus a 10% penalty or trade it in for either another ticket or a voucher, which will give you 100% of its value.

Without the ticket however, life is far less rosy. You'll have to follow the lost ticket procedures and that will require waiting and only getting about $94.50 back, as Amtrak will charge a $75 fee and a 10% penalty. If you request a voucher good for future travel, then you can avoid the 10% penalty, but not the $75 fee.

The ticket is considered cash by Amtrak, and therefore if lost it's like standing on the street corner handing out $10 bills. The agent did indeed follow Amtrak procedures, as outlined here. Note: The form to report a lost ticket can be linked to from that page. But first, make sure that there is no chance of ever finding that ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, wow... what an expensive mistake. Lesson definitely learned. DON'T LOSE THAT RETURN PORTION OF YOUR TICKET!
DON'T LOOSE YOUR CASH EITHER.

Even if you know the serial numbers off the $20 bills you lost, and have the ATM receipt to prove the withdrawal, you will find that the Treasury Dept doesn't re-issue lost currency.

Yeah, the return ticket in the sleeve was accidentally thrown away by my husband. He was picking up around the basement and unknowingly tossed it. (Yes, he is a clean freak.) But, my son also should have placed it somewhere safe instead of tossing it on the floor.

Like I said, lesson learned the hard way. We were all 3 standing in the terminal arguing about who did what, why, and when. It was not the departure I would've liked before he went back to school. And we're still out $180.

I will call Amtrak and I printed out the Lost Ticket Refund form.

Thanks to all for your helpful advice as always!

But Amtrak tickets are not cash. Tickets are for a specific individual, for a specific train, and, in this case, a specific accommodation. They are not transferrable, and cannot be refunded if the reservation was used. With a room involved, the agent could just void the old ticket, then issue a new ticket at the original rate. Amtrak is whole, and the customer is whole.

In 2010, having a system like that is just dumb. It simply punishes the passenger for no good reason. People who infrequently ride Amtrak and are used to airline policies may not know that Amtrak is, in this regard, so firmly stuck in the 1960's.

But Amtrak tickets are not cash. Tickets are for a specific individual, for a specific train, and, in this case, a specific accommodation. They are not transferrable, and cannot be refunded if the reservation was used. With a room involved, the agent could just void the old ticket, then issue a new ticket at the original rate. Amtrak is whole, and the customer is whole.
In 2010, having a system like that is just dumb. It simply punishes the passenger for no good reason. People who infrequently ride Amtrak and are used to airline policies may not know that Amtrak is, in this regard, so firmly stuck in the 1960's.
I know Southwest Airlines does the exact same thing. You lose the ticket, you have to buy another one. How many times I saw that come up when they had that TV series.

Antiquated though it may be, policy stands.

Just yesterday morning, I went through this with a passenger. She had just purchased round-trip tickets from the machine, and had lost her ticket. She had the return-trip ticket, but not the one we needed for the direction we were traveling. I allowed her plenty of time to search her belongings for it (4 station stops) before she finally decided she'd lost it. I explained the policy, offered the phone numbers she'd need to report it, but still had to sell her a new ticket on board. She understood, was very pleasant about it, but still not happy - more with herself for losing the ticket, than with me for selling her a new one.

Having worked ticketing, I can tell you that to "just void the old ticket" isn't that easy - ticket agents are accountable for everything that passes through that little window. Ticket stock is accounted for, and losses (oops, I voided a ticket, but don't have that ticket to turn in) are payable by the ticket agent. Every exchange, void, return, sale, or refund, must have something paper to back it up. Yes, old school, but that's the way it is.

I'm sorry you feel having to be responsible for your train ticket is dumb. Please do not board my train with that attitude. We will both be happier that way.

Travel light!

~BJG

I know Southwest Airlines does the exact same thing. You lose the ticket, you have to buy another one. How many times I saw that come up when they had that TV series.

This is a perfect example that when you are boarding the return portion from a staffed station, you should make 2 SEPARATE reservations (it doesn't cost extra) - and print the return ticket upon your return's departure! It is far less likely to "lose" your ticket in the 15-30 minutes (or even 1 hour) before departure than during your 2 week stay! ;)

This is a perfect example that when you are boarding the return portion from a staffed station, you should make 2 SEPARATE reservations (it doesn't cost extra)
Except when it does cost extra. For example, Boston North Station to Portland Maine is $24 each way on separate reservations. If you book the round trip on a single reservation the right number of days in advance (3?), it's only $39 for the round trip.

if staffed yes but if it only has a QT machine i would not chance it to print my ticket 1 hour before departure in-case the machine is not working.sure you can call but what are they going to do over the phone. would 1 hour be enough time for the phone agent to change the revvy to pick up on board. if staffed and the counter is open during departure then by all means get your ticket then.

Without the ticket however, life is far less rosy. You'll have to follow the lost ticket procedures and that will require waiting and only getting about $94.50 back, as Amtrak will charge a $75 fee and a 10% penalty. If you request a voucher good for future travel, then you can avoid the 10% penalty, but not the $75 fee.
That $75 seems a little steep. I don't think it would be unreasonable for people to write to their Congresspeople asking Congress to mandate a much lower fee.

This is a perfect example that when you are boarding the return portion from a staffed station, you should make 2 SEPARATE reservations (it doesn't cost extra) - and print the return ticket upon your return's departure! It is far less likely to "lose" your ticket in the 15-30 minutes (or even 1 hour) before departure than during your 2 week stay! ;)
I should remember this if I ever get off my beaten path of Bellingham to Vancouver BC and back. The normal reservations I always make involve crossing the US/Canada border and there are a bunch of extra steps when you fill out the passenger identification fields before payment - not too big of a hassle but enough to make it worthwhile to always book it round trip and only fill out all that stuff once. (plus they're cheap tickets and I am not traveling around while I am there)

Recently I made a reservation for a trip to Portland in March, and it was so refreshing not to have to provide every detail of my passport information, DOB, etc, just punch and go.

When it is simple like that it really does make sense to book the two trips separately for the reason you cited. That would be a good habit to always remember that.

True, there are some cases where it may be easier to pick up both tickets at once. But there are many others where it doesn't matter.

As you know, I take L O N G AGR award trips. On one of my recent KIN-PDX trips, here is where I picked up my tickets:

KIN-NYP = in KIN

NYP-BUF = in KIN

BUF-CHI = in KIN

CHI-LAX = in CHI

LAX-PDX = in CHI

(2 week stay)

PDX-SAC = in PDX

SAC-MTZ = in PDX

MTZ-SAC = in PDX

SAC-CHI = in PDX

CHI-CVS = in PDX

CVS-NOL = in PDX

NOL-SAS = in NOL

SAS-CHI = in SAS

CHI-WAS = in SAS

WAS-KIN = in SAS

This way, there were only a few tickets for the next "short" :p portion that I had to worry about losing.

Since I start most my trips from Norman OK, an unmanned station, I usually have no other option but to get my packet in the mail. But like airline tickets, cash or credit cards, just keep them all in a safe place on your person and you should be fine. Of course I get to enjoy the thrill of opening the mailbox and finding a nice packet of train tickets waiting inside!

AlanB and Blue Jean Girl: I understand what you are staying and realize these are Amtrak's rules. So how would Amtrak handle the following scenario: The son's ticket was pick-pocketed. Parents buy a new ticket and he gets his same roomette. He boards and occupies the roomette. The thief boards and tries to occupy the same roomette. There is no other sleeping accomodation available. Who gets to stay in the roomette? And is the thief ever held accountable?

The simplest solution is to check IDs on both passengers. He whose ID matches, stays on board. The other ticket is confiscated, the person presenting it is dealt with accordingly (anywhere from tossed off to handed over to local law enforcement), life goes on.

Re: confiscated ticket...if the pickpocket is handed over to law enforcement, the ticket would have to be held as evidence. I'm sure eventually it'd be given back to its rightful owner, but until charges, trial, etc, it's evidence.

If the pickpocket throws the ticket at the challenging conductor and runs away, I expect that after a few phone calls, the ticket would be given back to the rightful owner.

(I've dealt with a similar situation - college kid dropped his ticket on the platform, another kid pockets it, I sell a ticket to kid 1, notice the name on the ticket presented by kid 2 is eerily similar, check ID...read kid 2 the riot act, make kid 2 apologize to kid 1, return original ticket to kid 1 with much lecturing, void out on-board ticket sale, life goes on.)

Travel light!

~

BJG

AlanB and Blue Jean Girl: I understand what you are staying and realize these are Amtrak's rules. So how would Amtrak handle the following scenario: The son's ticket was pick-pocketed. Parents buy a new ticket and he gets his same roomette. He boards and occupies the roomette. The thief boards and tries to occupy the same roomette. There is no other sleeping accomodation available. Who gets to stay in the roomette? And is the thief ever held accountable?

Since I start most my trips from Norman OK, an unmanned station, I usually have no other option but to get my packet in the mail. But like airline tickets, cash or credit cards, just keep them all in a safe place on your person and you should be fine. Of course I get to enjoy the thrill of opening the mailbox and finding a nice packet of train tickets waiting inside!
You can still book your return trip separately and, assuming your return trip starts at a manned station and/or has a QuickTrac pick up your return tickets there and not have to keep up with them while you are away.

The simplest solution is to check IDs on both passengers. He whose ID matches, stays on board. The other ticket is confiscated, the person presenting it is dealt with accordingly (anywhere from tossed off to handed over to local law enforcement), life goes on.
Re: confiscated ticket...if the pickpocket is handed over to law enforcement, the ticket would have to be held as evidence. I'm sure eventually it'd be given back to its rightful owner, but until charges, trial, etc, it's evidence.

If the pickpocket throws the ticket at the challenging conductor and runs away, I expect that after a few phone calls, the ticket would be given back to the rightful owner.

(I've dealt with a similar situation - college kid dropped his ticket on the platform, another kid pockets it, I sell a ticket to kid 1, notice the name on the ticket presented by kid 2 is eerily similar, check ID...read kid 2 the riot act, make kid 2 apologize to kid 1, return original ticket to kid 1 with much lecturing, void out on-board ticket sale, life goes on.)

Travel light!

~

BJG

Thanks, BJG. That's sort of the way I thought it would happen. Which leads me to ask, do train tickets have a unique number like air tickets do? I'm looking at my confirmation for my upcoming NYP - EMY trip and there is no ticket number there. I don't have an actual ticket to look at. I suspect they don't, and that's why you have to treat a ticket like cash. Otherwise, it seems it would be relatively simple to cancel a lost ticket so that it cannot be used sometime later.

Well, 2 separate tickets sounds like the thing to do next time. Again, live and learn...

OK, my next statement has nothing to do with the lost ticket... but I advised my son beforehand to tip the sleeping car attendant at the end of the trip. Also, tip for meals, etc.

He told me this a.m. that there wasn't what he would consider a SCA at all (he acted as if it was odd that I had even told him about this to begin with). He said after he boarded in CHI he was basically pointed in the right direction, he found his rm # and that was it. No one gave him any info or offered their services if needed, no one asked for his dinner preference, no one "turned down" his bed (he figured it out on his own - ha!). Trust me, he was not concerned about this at all & didn't care. But I had read on this & other boards and on Amtrak's website, that these services were standard practice.

He's enjoyed his trip immensely, his meals were delicious, he met some nice people, he slept well, staff was cordial. There were no problems and that's really all that's important.

I'm not thinking he got gypped in any way. But I find it odd that there seems to be a huge discrepancy in the way passengers are treated in the different locales. Where is that "extra" attention I always read about? Maybe this an age thing, where the older ticket holders are taken into consideration more so than the youth, maybe staff cuts don't allow for them to tend to every whim.

He was in a sleeper he is supposed to have an attendant to do things for him. Putting down the beds is the attendants most basic role. Some attendants are great and give you personal attention, and will have a conversation with you. Others will simply take care of your bed and keep the coffee machine stocked, and spend the rest of their day in the dining car. Then there are attendants like your son encountered, or didn't encounter. The attendant who shouldn't be an Amtrak employee. Who provide 0 service, and manage to stay hidden the entire trip. You should contact Amtrak about this attendant, even though he doesn't have a name the train and date of travel and car number are enough for Amtrak to track them down. Regardless of who you are if your in a sleeper your attendant is supposed to fulfill some tasks. Some go above and beyond, and those are the great attendants that are tipped well and praised here on the board. Your son obviously didn't encounter one of those.

It is because the kid is a kid. Service employees judge every single customer as to how much tip they think they can get out of them no matter if they are waiting tables at a restaurant or putting down beds in a sleeping car. Younger folks typically don't tip good or tip at all so they are neglected frequently. It is just how the tipping system works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back