Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took #21 on June 3rd. Red cap did indeed take our baggage all the way to our rooms earlier this month (2 bags each + carry-ons). We wanted most of it stowed downstairs, however, so after settling in we took it back down. Very nice touch compared to the past experiences. We did leave Union Station from the Legacy Club so I don't know if that we a little extra for the money spent there or not.

You want your carry on delivered to your sleeper room? I have never heard of that happening anywhere on Amtrak.
Recently I've gone through PDX fairly often because I like to take the Empire Builder and they always ask who wants their luggage put into their room. I admit I was pretty surprised the first time it happened. I guess the person handling it isn't a redcap but is someone from the lounge luggage storage area but anyway he always takes everything you want. Of course it's easy since the train originates there.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want your carry on delivered to your sleeper room? I have never heard of that happening anywhere on Amtrak.
I don't know for sure, but "never" is a harsh word for something that was once done by private railroads and quite possibly done with Amtrak sometime in the past 40-odd years. I see such a service as an easy and substantial GOOD move if implemented. I certainly have asked about it before, and so have others I know when traveling Sleeper for the first time.
Wait, so saying I had never heard of something before is harsh? I did not claim it has never happened, just that I had never heard of it.

Went by the new ML on the 20th, they were were doing the painted sign over the main entry door. The manager supervising said the Open House was today late afternoon, but the Lounge will not open for business until Monday, June 27th. I asked if I could see the Lounge since I was passing through and might not be back for a year. He politely said I would see the Lounge next year then, this after we discussed how much I had traveled on Amtrak since the early 1980's and all the Lounges I had experienced. From what I could see around the paper on the windows for the painting, it looks very nice. I did see a door next to the main check in counter that said Baggage Room. Hopefully, there will be pictures posted. My granddaughter and I were on our 4th leg of a 6300 mile trip on Amtrak.

I don't know for sure, but "never" is a harsh word for something that was once done by private railroads and quite possibly done with Amtrak sometime in the past 40-odd years. I see such a service as an easy and substantial GOOD move if implemented. I certainly have asked about it before, and so have others I know when traveling Sleeper for the first time.
Wait, so saying I had never heard of something before is harsh? I did not claim it has never happened, just that I had never heard of it.
Tone is tough to discern. The leading question sounded pretty incredulous. It didn't come across quite how you intended.

Tone is tough to discern. The leading question sounded pretty incredulous. It didn't come across quite how you intended.
It was mentioned on this forum that the baggage check room was to be eliminated in the new Metropolitan lounge and replaced with an unsecured baggage area. This appears to be a true statement. It was also mentioned by someone that optional Redcap service will be offered at the met lounge to deliver your carry on luggage to the sleeper on your departing train. I am just trying to confirm whether or not this statement (not my own) has any validity. I have often seen Redcaps helping passengers carry luggage to and from their trains so a Redcap station at the new Metropolitan lounge doesn't seem all that odd to me. When the lounge is opened perhaps some forum member will report on all of the services there. We won't be there until Aug for our Card/CZ trip and would like to plan ahead.

anyone attend the open house today? I walked by the new lounge going to the train today and they were windexing the windows and had a big sign outside the door saying Private Event. Couldn't attend as it started at 4:30 and my train left at 4:00...just curious!

I stopped by the open house. Everything looks great and ready to go for opening. Abundant amount of good food and drinks available for the event and a jazz band playing. Personally like the upstairs room with the canal street view. Makes you feel like you are in the city when you can look outside. Also saw on the screen at the canal st entrance that shower and towel service will be available. Several different types of chairs and seating. Looks nice.

I'm so glad it has windows. One thing I really didn't like about the old lounge was that "trapped in a basement" feeling.

awesome! Can't wait to use it next week! The general lounge today was a zoo seeing as all the kids are now out of school! :)

Is it larger or smaller than the old lounge? Or put another way, has the capacity for numbers of rail travellers increased or decreased?

Back