Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember reading they plan to have an unstaffed baggage room similar to the one in DC. The Legacy Lounge has a similar setup, but it's just an open area near the check-in desk rather than a dedicated room.
I also read that and another claim by a forum member that you will be able to check your carry-on baggage with a Red Cap and have it delivered to your sleeping car bedroom or roomette. Haven't head much about either . Maybe by early July we will have some actual traveler reports

The floor plans, which are buried in one of the various CHI ML threads here, show a baggage room, as SarahZ mentions. I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that will not be the case.

EDIT: And of course as I typed this, she posted the links.

Last edited by a moderator:
The floor plans, which are buried in one of the various CHI ML threads here, show a baggage room, as SarahZ mentions. I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that will not be the case.

EDIT: And of course as I typed this, she posted the links.
^_^ :hi:

I remember reading they plan to have an unstaffed baggage room similar to the one in DC. The Legacy Lounge has a similar setup, but it's just an open area near the check-in desk rather than a dedicated room.
I also read that and another claim by a forum member that you will be able to check your carry-on baggage with a Red Cap and have it delivered to your sleeping car bedroom or roomette. Haven't head much about either . Maybe by early July we will have some actual traveler reports
They are experimenting with this idea. Trying it out only on Train 21 for now. I think its a great idea. VIA does it at both ends of the Canadian.

When checking the floor plans in the old Metropolitan Lounge I saw the same self service baggage room. Many years ago the room behind the check in desk in the current ML was a self service baggage room.

Just got an email inviting me to an Open House for the new ML on 6/23. Unfortunately it starts at 4:30 and I will be on a train already! LOL! Still, it's a good sign of when it will open - if not that day, then shortly after!

Hello All, I am in the old Metropolitan lounge right now, arrived early on the Empire Builder waiting to board the Lake Shore Limited. The old lounge is staying open till the new one opens. I was able to look inside from the windows at the top of the stairs and you can see quite a bit. The furniture is very nice and yes it is a white or off white leather looking and the whole place a clean modern look. Can't wait to visit it on my next trip.

I am doing a points run to Galesburg on 5 and 382. I looked in a doorway by the baggage claim area. It leads to the new lounge. The passengers would walk through a short hallway. If they turn right they could go down the ramp to board from the south gate. If they turn left they could go down the ramp to board from the north gates.

I am doing a points run to Galesburg on 5 and 382. I looked in a doorway by the baggage claim area. It leads to the new lounge. The passengers would walk through a short hallway. If they turn right they could go down the ramp to board from the south gate. If they turn left they could go down the ramp to board from the north gates.
Points run?? Sadly, that ended in January, by friend. :( Your $20 ticket to Galesburg gets you only 40 points now vs. 100. Not really worth it to me. You'll still have to spend $5,000 to keep S+. Again, also not worth it to me... will be dropping off the tier landscape come March 1, 2017.

Who asked your opinion and your response is not pertaining to the topic of this thread.
Have you seen some of the threads on this forum? He's relatively close to on topic if he isn't talking about something like hotels in Iran, or food in Fort Benton, Montana.
As long as the moderators allow it, there should not be a problem here.

Who asked your opinion and your response is not pertaining to the topic of this thread.
All forums exist for the open exchange of ideas and opinions. While the comment was off topic I don't see any real harm in it. If you dislike it, just don't read it. Problem solved.

As for the Metropolitan lounge; we are still waiting for the final decision on the carry on baggage situation. If the baggage room is self service and open, I have concerns that there could be some theft.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want your carry on delivered to your sleeper room? I have never heard of that happening anywhere on Amtrak.
Someone earlier (rtabern, perhaps?) mentioned that it is being tried out on Train 21 at Chicago. I'd be curious to hear more about this service, whether it's mentioned/documented anywhere, whether others have taken advantage of it, etc.

You want your carry on delivered to your sleeper room? I have never heard of that happening anywhere on Amtrak.
I don't know for sure, but "never" is a harsh word for something that was once done by private railroads and quite possibly done with Amtrak sometime in the past 40-odd years. I see such a service as an easy and substantial GOOD move if implemented. I certainly have asked about it before, and so have others I know when traveling Sleeper for the first time.

Back