Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally some good Amtrak news, thanks to all those who have gotten to see the New Lounge and shared their pics and info!

I look forward to seeing it in October when I'm in Chicago on the way to Denver for the Gathering!

Ok, so how could so many posts from usually reliable posters be so wrong? I don't believe I've seen such poor prognostication since "Dewey beats Truman" :giggle: .
"Dewey Defeats Truman": newspaper got information from pollsters and initial election returns that turned out to be incorrect.

"New Chicago Metropolitan Lounge Won't Allow Arriving Sleeper & Business Class Passengers": forum got information from Amtrak employees that (apparently) turned out to be incorrect.

My friend from St Louis just phoned in his report on his trip on the Hoosier State both directions and his experience in the New Metropolitan Lounge. He had a great time riding both directions in the Iowa Pacific BC. More on that later.

But for the new lounge, he was not as impressed. Things seemed still disorganized, the desk help were "surley" in his words, Red Caps were not permitted in the lounge to help travelers (Red Caps were not happy about that), a rather glassy, modernistic decor with uncomfortable seating, and a longer walk to the trains, no separate storage room for baggage storage. Too many stairways disrupt the flow of traffic.

On the positive side, the food was excellent with a variety of sandwiches and pastries available in the lounge. Restrooms were nice and clean,

Just one opinion. Time will tell how the rest of humanity will adjust to change. :)

MODERATOR NOTE: The claim that there is no separate storage room for baggage has been debunked by posters in subsequent posts. Those posters are stating that there is an unstaffed baggage storage room near the front desk of the lounge.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend from St Louis just phoned in his report on his trip on the Hoosier State both directions and his experience in the New Metropolitan Lounge. He had a great time riding both directions in the Iowa Pacific BC. More on that later.

But for the new lounge, he was not as impressed. Things seemed still disorganized, the desk help were "surley" in his words, Red Caps were not permitted in the lounge to help travelers (Red Caps were not happy about that), a rather glassy, modernistic decor with uncomfortable seating, and a longer walk to the trains, no separate storage room for baggage storage. Too many stairways disrupt the flow of traffic.

On the positive side, the food was excellent with a variety of sandwiches and pastries available in the lounge. Restrooms were nice and clean,

Just one opinion. Time will tell how the rest of humanity will adjust to change. :)
I would imagine (and hope) like with most other major openings it is going through some teething issues and things will smooth out in the coming days.

I've gotta agree with that especially in the case of sleepers ($$$$). But as a Select (not Select Plus) regular business class rider for over 10 years I find it a bit offensive that I would be turned away at the lounge as an inbound passenger. Granted I live in Chicago and would really have no need to stay in the lounge once I arrived, but the fact that they only accept OUTBOUND passengers is not the message they should be sending, especially to the people that keep their business going!
This is the policy in some third-party airport lounges; ie, lounges not operated by a specific airline. So it's not just "an Amtrak thing".

No more baggage storage? Where will I put my bags when I spend the day there? That's awesome. When I go for military cadet training I'll have 2 carry on and a giant checked bag... that's extremely dumb. I can't even go to Chicago now, going to have to spend over 10 hours in a stupid lounge.

MODERATOR NOTE: The claim that there is no separate storage room for baggage has been debunked by posters in subsequent posts. Those posters are stating that there is an unstaffed baggage storage room near the front desk of the lounge.

Is it that there isn't a separate room, which was in the plans, or is there no baggage storage at all?

For example, the Legacy Lounge has an area for baggage storage that isn't a separate room, but you can definitely leave your bag there. I can see how people would report that as "no separate baggage storage area", even though it's technically storage.

So does the new lounge have a baggage storage area that simply isn't a separate room? Maybe it's like the Legacy Lounge. It's hard to interpret what people are reporting.

For example, the Legacy Lounge has an area for baggage storage that isn't a separate room, but you can definitely leave your bag there. I can see how people would report that as "no separate baggage storage area", even though it's technically storage.

So does the new lounge have a baggage storage area that simply isn't a separate room? Maybe it's like the Legacy Lounge. It's hard to interpret what people are reporting.
That's how it is in the ML in Los Angeles. There's no separate room, just an area for the baggage, located right behind the check-in desk.

That's how it is in the ML in Los Angeles. There's no separate room, just an area for the baggage, located right behind the check-in desk.
In fact that is how it is in all the lounges, and the way Chicago used to be before they opened the paranoia room.

The "teething" problems can be fixed, but rude and unhelpful staff, along with not allowing Redcaps in the Lounge, is unacceptable and Management in Chicago needs to get out of their office and get this fixed now!

We need to report rude and unhelpful staff and let Amtrak know about "bugs" in the system so they can be corrected ASAP!!

The "teething" problems can be fixed, but rude and unhelpful staff, along with not allowing Redcaps in the Lounge, is unacceptable and Management in Chicago needs to get out of their office and get this fixed now!

We need to report rude and unhelpful staff and let Amtrak know about "bugs" in the system so they can be corrected ASAP!!
As to the staff, well, we're actually getting used to that. Did they allow the Redcaps in the lounge before? I've seen them at the door, but never "in" the lounge.

I read a first hand account that the baggage room was to the right of the check in desk. Unmanned, somewhat "small" and a pain to get in and out of when there's a line of people checking in.

From D.P. Roberts trip report

My one quibble so far is with the check-in- it's just as time-consuming and awkward as always. There's not enough room inside the door for everyone to wait to check-in. The baggage area is in a room off to the right, and although there are plenty of shelves it's a rather small and crowded space. Plus, when you enter or leave the baggage area you have to cross through the line of people checking in, so it's kind of a traffic jam by the door. I think a lot of that is due to the crowds that surge whenever a train arrives, so next time we might wait a few minutes to enter the lounge.

I believe he said there was an area similar to Washington & New York where bags could be stored but not as secure as the old Metro Lounge room manned by Red Caps. I did see Red Caps come back into the lounge area to look for people they had made arrangements with. And they were always standing by the front desk waiting to take people out the front door of the old lounge.

yes, Chicago has never been known for its cheery Amtrak personnel. Now on the train it's a different story - all of the conductors I see are wonderful. It's just the station staff that's not!

I've never encountered grouchy people in the lounge. My check-ins go smoothly, often with a smile.

The only time I see them exhibiting a bit of impatience is when the customer is being surly/difficult (or not paying attention).

Maybe my standards for treatment are lower than others'? ;)

I've never encountered grouchy people in the lounge. My check-ins go smoothly, often with a smile.

The only time I see them exhibiting a bit of impatience is when the customer is being surly/difficult (or not paying attention).

Agreed. I've always found ML staff to be courteous, helpful and professional. I don't think your standards are lower than others, I think perception is affected by mood of the customer.

ditto

I was actually referring to the main lounge, not the metropolitan lounge. There wasn't always business class on the pere marquette so for coach we had to board from the south gate. The people who work at that gate area were who I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

I have always found the ML staff in Chicago friendly and helpful. Now, those assigned to the glass doors to control the push of Coach passengers, I have seen get yelled at because they would not open the doors (Conductor had not called for Coach boarding), be bumped into with bags, and so forth. My guess is that this staff may find it hard to smile everyday when they have to deal with the general public, well the percentage that hates the world and gladly will ruin your day without regard if you are trying to help or be nice. Over all I find the Amtrak staff a great group of people. In LA the ML attendant makes it his personal mission to talk with each passenger to insure they are happy and if not what he can do to make them happy.

I was actually referring to the main lounge, not the metropolitan lounge. There wasn't always business class on the pere marquette so for coach we had to board from the south gate. The people who work at that gate area were who I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.
That's a whole different story and the reason why I won't ride coach on the PM anymore out of Union Station. It's worth the extra $15 just to be able to get away from that hot mess at south gate.

agree - the employees in the regular lounge DO take abuse for sure, however I have always been friendly to them. I have been a regular for 11 years, so always say hi and smile. Yet they always look at me like it's the first time they've ever seen me, which I think is odd. I'd think you'd be happy to see a regular, and someone who treats you nicely and with respect. But like I said, all of the conductors I've ever met have been tremendous!

agree with Tim - I always said if they had business class on the PM I'd buy it...and then finally they did! :) I only ride BC now whether going into New Buffalo or St Joe. That regular lounge used to be the worst part of my week every week! LOL!

Back