Celebratory Phase 3 comeback?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NE933

Conductor
Got sight at another railfan/advocate forum website, of what is clearly one of the P40 Genesis units being redone in a dark variation of Phase 3 stripping. Captions refer to the site as Beeche Grove. Not only have the stripes returned under a dark navy rooftop, but the original large font size name is emblazoned across the face. No tiny "amtraks" here. What is likely a combo of rumor mill and preliminary fact, there are statements that Amtrak is assembling a sort of 'Heritage Train' for its 40th birthday, and that the reverse arrow logo will bump the current three sheets to the wind. Speculation about this going system wide are rampant; while we wait and sort out fact from fiction, it is very telling that many believe such a move would generate oodles of excitment that would benefit Amtrak with renewed interest and vigor, bringing the six lettered name out of polically correct obscurity and make it come alive in bold style the way it was before, a way that worked very well.

I love the phase V p42s ... but I'd support this
cool.gif

It can be argued that Amtrak's best years were during the phase III period with Graham Claytor at the throttle. A pair of F40s up front with baggage,Hilevel transition car, and Superliners in tow all in bold red, white and blue stripes made for a cohesive look, something we do not have today. What over paid consultant thought it was a good idea for the locomotives and pax cars to have two different schemes.

There is even a rumor out there on of the railroad boards that the red,white and blue are suppose to make a come back. I sure hope so, either take the stripes off the cars ala Acela or go back to Phase III so we can have a unified look again. My favorite rumor is the thought of bringing back the pointless Arrow as the logo again. If American Airlines can keep the same livery for over 40 years, why not Amtrak.

GML, what have you heard?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if that's from a good find or just a good friend but either way that's an interesting photo and it puts some of the speculation to rest. My guess is that this will be a one-off, hopefully just an engine or two, but that it won't be a large scale change. And that's fine with me. The older paint schemes do have some nostalgia points in their favor, but other than that I didn't really like them much and I'd hate to see a return to those giant Superliner logos. There was only one transportation company I remember having a reasonably good looking super-sized logo and it wasn't FRONTIER or even a passenger line.

logo.gif

Nothing wrong, or expensive, about repainting a locomotive and cars to mark an important anniversary. The fact that Amtrak is still here and growing after 40 years is nothing short of remarkable, given that its original purpose was to oversee the gradual end of intercity passenger rail service.

Very cool wall calendar for 2001, 2011, shows the GG1, and E or F unit (I think), the Acela, and two others SDP-40? and a Genesis. I dunno, I never could tell a Liionel, from a GE, from a EMD, from a Marklin, to a Bombardier...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool wall calendar for 2001, shows the GG1, and E or F unit (I think), the Acela, and two others SDP-40? and a Genesis. I dunno, I never could tell a Liionel, from a GE, from a EMD, from a Marklin, to a Bombardier...........
I think you mean the 2011 calendar.

The 2001 Calendar doesn't have any locomotives printed on it.

You are correct. btw, I just ordered all the old wall calendars that were available. Some are down in the 22-45 in quantity.

Great country and Amtrak are broke, so lets **** away some more money on nothing.
Now THAT is the great "can do" American Spirit.
wacko.gif

Also:

GREAT pics Ryan... Thanks for sharing!

And:

While I generally agree with a cohesive uniformity in the paint scheme - imagine something that actually flowed smoothly from front to back as it raced by - I think a tip of the airbrush to 40 years of service is in order, especially since Amtrak was not supposed to last 10 years.

Great country and Amtrak are broke, so lets **** away some more money on nothing.
If the engines need painting anyway it really isn't costing much different that the standard scheme. These are not fancy designs or anything that is going to cost huge sums of money.

Am I the only one who likes the "three sheets to the wind" or whatever the current logo is called better than the old pointless arrow? IMO, anything that differentiates Amtrak from the US government can only be a good thing. Beside, I find simple stripes to be awfully boring...

A friend of mine who used to work for Amtrak and is now with MARC mentioned this to me last summer. He said the plan was to have a couple pieces of equipment painted in each phase. I think a diner is supposed to be painted into phase I. He said something about reviving an F40 in phase 2, although that seems less likely.

GML, what have you heard?
Absolutely nothing on the subject. I might check with some people I know, but to be honest I have no interest in the subject. Amtrak changes paint schemes about once every 10 years. Its due to happen, naturally before we finished changing from Phase IV to Phase V. I miss the pointless arrow logo, speaking for myself.

The Three Sheets To The Wind logo was chosen by George Warrington to symbolize the general condition of Amtrak in general and its management in particular at the time. Which believe me, at that time, was quite definitely three sheets to the wind.

Three sheets to the wind is a term that is used to refer to people who are very drunk. Derivatively, though, it is nautical. As such:

A landlubber might suspect that sheets are in fact, sails. This is not true; sheets aren't sails, but ropes (or occasionally, chains). These are fixed to the lower corners of sails, to hold them in place. If three sheets are loose and blowing about in the wind then the sails will flap and the boat will lurch about like a drunken sailor.
Amtrak in the late 90s? You decide.

Am I the only one who likes the "three sheets to the wind" or whatever the current logo is called better than the old pointless arrow? IMO, anything that differentiates Amtrak from the US government can only be a good thing. Beside, I find simple stripes to be awfully boring...
No, you are not the only one.

No, you are not the only one.
Concur-ed.
I def. think it is a better logo. I always liked the arrow just fine... but for a company in this current day, the arrow doesn't seem nearly as fitting as the current one. I can't say I'm in love with the current logo though.. I think they could have come up with something a bit more.. um relative? But I like it ok none the less.

I just would like to see consistency across the board - the locomotives and rolling stock have the new symbol, but most stations along the EB's route have the pointless arrow. Pick one! However, the "retro" celebratory train sounds nice for a promotional thing.

I'm pretty sure that the local municipalities are responsible for signing, I know that there are a lot of road signs around here that still have the pointless arrow. As far as the signs at the stations themselves, I wonder what the ownership of the stations that you're talking about are. I know that there's a website that you can get Amtrak marketing materials from that (I think, I can't recall the URL at the moment) will provide those types of signs to station owners for free(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back