Cars to be rebuilt

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that all the P40's were mothballed in Delaware, most likely at Bear, but they could have some in Wilmington. Additionally I seem to recall reading that BG was supposed to do the work on restoring them. I believe that Bear can also do that work, but BG probably has more room to do the work. Bear's already pretty busy trying to deal with all those Amfleets.

Therefore my guess is that those P40's are in Ivy waiting to hitch a ride on the Cardinal.

Any idea where in the Cardinal they'll stick 'em? Putting 832 behind the lead locomotive with 821 behind it would be nice. Or sticking both on teh end would make for an interesting consist!

Any idea where in the Cardinal they'll stick 'em? Putting 832 behind the lead locomotive with 821 behind it would be nice. Or sticking both on teh end would make for an interesting consist!
Deadheading locomotives tend to always be in between the powered locos and the rest of the consist.

Ok whats the difference between the P40's and P42's? Any easy way to distinguish between the two?

P40's are 4000 HP, P42's are 4200 All the P40's are in the 800 series. other then the number they're hard to tell apart. I believe all the P40's are to be rebuilt at Beech Grove. It took the 8400 viewliner dinner only a couple of days to make it from Washington to Beech Grove, so I imagine they will be in Indiana by the weekend. (if that's were they are headed)

That's what got my attention and promoted me to pull the camera out of my bag - as you can see I was a bit rushed. :p
Were you on a regional?
I was on my usual MARC Penn line commute. It's nice to ride past there twice a day, you see some interesting sights sometimes.

Both still present and accounted for this morning, so maybe they'll head out on Saturday's Cardinal.

That's what got my attention and promoted me to pull the camera out of my bag - as you can see I was a bit rushed. :p
Were you on a regional?
I was on my usual MARC Penn line commute. It's nice to ride past there twice a day, you see some interesting sights sometimes.

Both still present and accounted for this morning, so maybe they'll head out on Saturday's Cardinal.
Thanks for the morning update. If I was a betting man I'd say you're right about Saturday's Cardinal. Are you able to check on them on Saturday?

Just as a quick update...

I have it on good authority that those two P40s were still in DC as of yesterday along with a third that HokieNav didn't see. Mechanical apparently didn't feel comfortable releasing them onto CSX and NS trackage without some thorough checks of the trucks since those three engines haven't moved out of Delaware since 2003. They're also trying to weigh whether or not they should send more than one at a time out to Beech Grove (yes, they're going to the Grove); either way it sounds like the Cardinal will be getting an extra P42 for these tows.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a quick update...
I have it on good authority that those two P40s were still in DC as of yesterday along with a third that HokieNav didn't see. Mechanical apparently didn't feel comfortable releasing them onto CSX and NS trackage without some thorough checks of the trucks since those three engines haven't moved out of Delaware since 2003. They're also trying to weigh whether or not they should send more than one at a time out to Beech Grove (yes, they're going to the Grove); either way it sounds like the Cardinal will be getting an extra P42 for these tows.

Rafi
Thanks for the update Rafi, hopefully someone along the route will catch them. when they finally head to the Grove.

Thanks Rafi! I saw them both still there Friday morning (I stayed in town late and took the metro home Friday evening). Do you know where the third P40 is sitting? I'm sure I look quite the fool nose pressed to the window looking wildly about for the 10 seconds that I have as we roll past there every day. :D I'll keep an eye out for when they disappear in hopes of giving someone out in Chicagoland a heads up on when these guys start moving.

Thanks Rafi! I saw them both still there Friday morning (I stayed in town late and took the metro home Friday evening). Do you know where the third P40 is sitting?
I don't, unfortunately. My guess is that it's somewhere behind the Ivy Yard buildings where you can't spot it from the main line.

On a related note, the first group of P40s out of the Grove are looking like they'll go straight to a captive service on the Auto Train, as many on this board have speculated. That'll free up some P42s for use elsewhere in the system.

Rafi

Thanks Rafi! I saw them both still there Friday morning (I stayed in town late and took the metro home Friday evening). Do you know where the third P40 is sitting?
I don't, unfortunately. My guess is that it's somewhere behind the Ivy Yard buildings where you can't spot it from the main line.

On a related note, the first group of P40s out of the Grove are looking like they'll go straight to a captive service on the Auto Train, as many on this board have speculated. That'll free up some P42s for use elsewhere in the system.

Rafi
P-40 #3 appeared this morning parked with the other two - it's #837 and it's in the same paint scheme as #821 (which is referred to as the "diet pepsi" or "Phase III", right?).

Rafi
P-40 #3 appeared this morning parked with the other two - it's #837 and it's in the same paint scheme as #821 (which is referred to as the "diet pepsi" or "Phase III", right?).
Maybe they will finally head west for the Grove on Friday?

Rafi

3 is a P42. It was on both of my LSL trips in July. It had an electrical fire and FWIK, it was stored at BG already. Iguess you can call it the Diet Pepsi scheme, but I hope noone drank that Pepsi looking stuff in that big tank underneath it!

cpamtfan-Peter

Rafi

3 is a P42. It was on both of my LSL trips in July. It had an electrical fire and FWIK, it was stored at BG already. Iguess you can call it the Diet Pepsi scheme, but I hope noone drank that Pepsi looking stuff in that big tank underneath it!

cpamtfan-Peter
I believe he meant it was the third P40 to appear. The loco number was actually 837.

What advantage does the P40 have over the P42 in Auto Train service?

What advantage does the P40 have over the P42 in Auto Train service?
The P40s brakes are more compatible with the Auto Train's auto racks, and are better for moving freight-type consists.

They're gone! All 5 have moved, either headed to BG or off somewhere where I can't see them (although there really isn't enough space to hide 5 P40's without something being visable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back