Cars to be rebuilt

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for your second question, I'm sure that Amtrak could request a contract with those terms and conditions. However, they'd have to ensure that the target date for delivery of the first few new cars is shortly before the peak season and then hope that they stay on schedule.
How long is the period of time between when the first Viewliner and last Viewliner will likely be delivered?

(And remember that the regular sleepers and diners can probably be put in the middle of the order, with a few bag dorms at the beginning, if there's a question of how to configure the last of the baggage cars that will be delivered. Unless there's concern that the leaving the assembly line for roomette modules idle for a few months in the middle of the Viewliner project is going to have a meaningful impact on total costs. But even then, it might be possible to interleave the regular sleepers with the diners to help the roomette module output become a little closer to constant.)
Honestly, the diners are a race item. We could use the extra sleepers and baggage-dorms. But we NEED the diners. If the whole program goes kaput again, we need to have the diners online.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the order just for the shells? I assume Amtrak will place the modules in the shells as the modules are produced, so what cars roll off first will be based on what modules are constructed first. I agree that they will try to build modules for the diners first, but I think we will see all types coming out at once. The diner modules will probably take the longest to produce and install with sleepers, and dorms coming next and baggage modules being the fastest to build and install. That being said if a shell is completed I doubt Amtrak will hold it indefinitely until a particular module is completed they will most likely put in whatever is ready to be installed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the order just for the shells? I assume Amtrak will place the modules in the shells as the modules are produced, so what cars roll off first will be based on what modules are constructed first. I agree that they will try to build modules for the diners first, but I think we will see all types coming out at once. The diner modules will probably take the longest to produce and install with sleepers, and dorms coming next and baggage modules being the fastest to build and install. That being said if a shell is completed I doubt Amtrak will hold it indefinitely until a particular module is completed they will most likely put in whatever is ready to be installed.
IMHO it would be kind of silly and inefficient for Amtrak to get into the manufacturing business. They should provide the designs to whoever they contract with and let them deliver completed cars including installation of all modules.

3 of the 5 P40's stored at Ivy City for transfer to the Grove were missing this morning - not sure if they've left the area or are just getting shuffled around.
Probably being taken for a joyride by the_traveler. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back