Cars to be rebuilt

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That can't even build cars that are reliable.
Everyone knows I'm not a fan of cars, right? Ok then.

I also am not a fan of GM in general, after the National City Lines debacle.

HOWEVER, I am sick of people making inaccurate claims about our national auto industry that are based primarily on inaccurate and outdated statements by our elected morons- er, I mean congresspeople, the most vocal of which are in states that conveniently contain auto plants primarily owned by Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Bayerische Motoren Werke, Hyundai, and Mercedes-Benz. What a coincidence!

A decade ago, General Motors and Chrysler couldn't build a car to save their ass, and Ford wasn't far behind. Over the past ten years, however, Ford has implemented one of the best manufacturing systems I have ever seen, General Motors has figured out how to build cars, and builds some pretty decent ones. They were on line to make a decent profit by next year. Then the entire economy collapsed and like EVERY SINGLE OTHER CAR COMPANY is hurting.

Chrysler has forgotten whatever they knew. After all, their lineup consists of an overweight pig (the Caliber and its various derivatives), a Mitsubishi Gallant (Dodge Avenger/Chrysler Sebring) and an over-stuffed Mercedes W210 1996 E-class (Charger/Challenger/Magnum/300), a out-dated and over-weight minivan, a circa 1997 Mercedes SLK (the Crossfire) and a few fuel-guzzling curiosities. They are everything the Senate is talking about.

But please, stop hearing what our wonderful opinion guides- er, I mean media- and politicians are telling you and then repeating it as if somebody that actually knows something told you.

With the repaired and mothballed cars coming online, as well as a few issues with the P42's, I think that Amtrak wants a few more backup engines around. I suppose that it's even possible that we could see some of the LD's out of NY switching over to diesel once again in Philly, rather than DC, at least until Amtrak gets some new electric motors.
I'm also wondering if they're trying to reduce the number of long distance trains that carry only a single HEP source. For a significant fraction of the year, the temperatures in passenger cars in a train with no HEP aren't necessarily safe, and the typical long distance train is usually several hours away from any locomotive capable of providing HEP that wasn't coupled to that train when it departed its point of origin.
If that were the case Amtrak would be mothballing P42's, not taking P40's out of mothballs.
How would mothballing P42's increase the pool of available power so that every LD train is able to leave the yard with 2 sources of HEP?
Sorry, I totally misread Joel's post this morning in my haste to get off a 46K dial-up connection that was being charged to my home phone from a ski resort in Western Mass. A resort without AT&T cellular service or Wi-FI. :angry:

With the repaired and mothballed cars coming online, as well as a few issues with the P42's, I think that Amtrak wants a few more backup engines around. I suppose that it's even possible that we could see some of the LD's out of NY switching over to diesel once again in Philly, rather than DC, at least until Amtrak gets some new electric motors.
I'm also wondering if they're trying to reduce the number of long distance trains that carry only a single HEP source. For a significant fraction of the year, the temperatures in passenger cars in a train with no HEP aren't necessarily safe, and the typical long distance train is usually several hours away from any locomotive capable of providing HEP that wasn't coupled to that train when it departed its point of origin.
If that were the case Amtrak would be mothballing P42's, not taking P40's out of mothballs.
How would mothballing P42's increase the pool of available power so that every LD train is able to leave the yard with 2 sources of HEP?
Sorry, I totally misread Joel's post this morning in my haste to get off a 46K dial-up connection that was being charged to my home phone from a ski resort in Western Mass. A resort without AT&T cellular service or Wi-FI. :angry:
It's all good, I was just wicked confused. :D

Just a FYI. Coach 82999 was originally a cafe. I suspect those 20 others may end up in the 82969-82998 series.

Really looking forwards to 8400 coming back (68400?) Perhaps 62090-1 too!(hopefully)

I wonder if the Viewliner-Surfliner purchase will be part of a single order...

Just a FYI. Coach 82999 was originally a cafe. I suspect those 20 others may end up in the 82969-82998 series.
Really looking forwards to 8400 coming back (68400?) Perhaps 62090-1 too!(hopefully)

I wonder if the Viewliner-Surfliner purchase will be part of a single order...
Doubt it. I'd expect the surfliners to come from Alstom, while the Viewliners will probably come from Bombardier. Just a pure guess, though.

Both the Cal Cars and the original 50 Viewliners were built by Amerail. As the other amerail products have seemed to pass onto Alstom, I sort of suspect the Viewliners might.

Both the Cal Cars and the original 50 Viewliners were built by Amerail. As the other amerail products have seemed to pass onto Alstom, I sort of suspect the Viewliners might.
The viewliner design and prints are owned by Amtrak, Amerail built those under Amtrak contract of Amtrak engineering designs.

Amtrak had first 4 or 6 shells built by BUDD and then completed at Beech Grove.

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakonline/viewlinerinfo.html

<snip> a 10-year depreciation cycle, which is what I think Amtrak uses <snip>
Depreciation cycles are accounting and tax tools and arguably have nothing at all to do with how long a piece of equipment lasts.
I'm pretty sure there were only three shells built by Budd. I think Amtrak had always intended Budd to get the contract. Unfortunately, Budd went out of business before that happened. If they built the Viewliners, we'd have a lot less problems.

If I haven't already typed this: the Superliner rebuild / refurbish / recondition / reconstruction program should be restarted. The cars need to be in service, generating revenue.

If I haven't already typed this: the Superliner rebuild / refurbish / recondition / reconstruction program should be restarted. The cars need to be in service, generating revenue.
It has been. They are already starting on rebuilding the wrecks, which will put more Superliner's back into service. Some 20+ cars in fact.

It has been. They are already starting on rebuilding the wrecks, which will put more Superliner's back into service. Some 20+ cars in fact.
I thought there were exactly 20 Superliners (of various flavors) and one Viewliner Sleeper on the list of ``long distance'' wrecks being restored.

I thought there were exactly 20 Superliners (of various flavors) and one Viewliner Sleeper on the list of ``long distance'' wrecks being restored.
There are no Viewliner wrecks. There are three Viewliner prototypes not in service at this time. Of which one is being restored for service - the Diner prototype.

Three prototypes? I thought there were two prototypes: sleeper and diner. Is the third another one of these?
Yes, there were two prototype sleepers built (2300 & 2301) and one diner (8400). The 2301 sleeper after having been retired for several years was pulled out of mothballs in 2001, renumbered to 62091 Eastern View, and returned to service for a few years both in revenue service and as a crew dorm, before being retired again around 2004 or 2005.

I find it very disturbing that such lousy designs go into production. It seems that on one has a clue as to how a decent sleeper, diner or lounge ought to look, operate and work on the road. It only took one trip on a viewliner bedroom to rate them the bottom of the barrel in quality and repair. Now they are the new gold standard it would appear. How sad.

I was thinking the same thing. It better be better then what the current Viewliners are like to even pass for modest. I truly hope Beech Grove has had something to say in this. Here is a nicer start REBUILD the SLEEPERS no way are dirty, old, run down, cars worth over $125 a trip.

- I don't want to sound uniformed and I know AMTRAK needs Diners badly but after my last trip in a Viewliner, I am up in arms that AMTRAK would even consider such a poor design that "we" on this forum and "we" the passengers will only complain about in 7-10 years time. Not to mention "We the People" are paying for this "poor judgment" by AMTRAK -(not to sound like a Conservative (I'm NOT) but as a rail-fan)- I would like to see the rebuilt Diner as well as AMTRAK present an alliterative first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, lets say you have a car, right? Its built by Honda, and they call it the Legend. They even sell it in the US under the name Acura, right? And then you take this exceptionally good car and you get a real **** company to build it, lets say Austin Rover, and they sell it as the Rover 800/Sterling. And its a piece of junk. Are we clear now?

Well, lets say you have a car, right? Its built by Honda, and they call it the Legend. They even sell it in the US under the name Acura, right? And then you take this exceptionally good car and you get a real **** company to build it, lets say Austin Rover, and they sell it as the Rover 800/Sterling. And its a piece of junk. Are we clear now?
Not really.

I was looking for specific examples and practical experience rather than some stuff about cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone heard any rumors on the time frame for the overhaul of the Superliners, and the P-40's. I see the Amfleets are looking at a two year period. But haven't seen a timetable for anything else. Are the P-40's stored at Beech Grove?

I'll be riding the Hoosier State in June, and I'm wondering if I might see freshly overhauled equipment tacked on, heading back to Chicago.

The design is good. M-K's build quality was the main failing.
I have to agree with you 110%.

IMHO, the Viewliners are clearly a great design. Their only failings, are the quality of the materials and workmanship.
I have that problem, too. My design is good, but at near 68 years old my material and workmanship is starting to fade away. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back