Capitol Limited Bussed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chandj

Service Attendant
We just traveled Pittsburgh to CHI to Dallas and back via trains and had no delays until the ride back into Pittsburgh this morning. The train was due to arrive at 4:30 a.m. but was held up till 6:30. I was getting off at Pittsburgh anyway, but I felt really bad for fellow passengers in the sleeper when I heard our attendant Larry (who is very good!), waking people up and telling them they had to gather up their things and get on a bus to DC. Some folk were pretty upset as I guess they didn't know about the construction issue east of Pittsburgh. I heard the delay was due to the fact that we hit something (not a person), but have no confirmation.

how much longer is this going on again.... and what happens to the equipment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Next summer. I would assume that once the work window is closed the equipment deadheads to DC to make up the next days WB consist.

Is this the second or third time that this has happened?

14 months from the start, ie.e Sept 2012.

Remember the service plan if the train's late:

-Train terminates at Cumberland. Passengers for stations east of there are bused from PGH.

-No receiving passengers anywhere south of PGH.

Are sleeper passengers reimbursed their sleeper fare if they end up on a bus for 6 or 8 or 13 hours?

Are sleeper passengers reimbursed their sleeper fare if they end up on a bus for 6 or 8 or 13 hours?
The driving time from Pittsburgh to DC is about 4 to 4-1/2 hours. If they get put on a bus heading directly to DC in Pittsburgh at 6 or 7 AM, they are likely to get in before they CL would have. Amtrak gets them in early, and they want a partial refund? :unsure:

The driving time from Pittsburgh to DC is about 4 to 4-1/2 hours. If they get put on a bus heading directly to DC in Pittsburgh at 6 or 7 AM, they are likely to get in before they CL would have. Amtrak gets them in early, and they want a partial refund? :unsure:
Yes. If they don't get a sleeper and the associated meals, their fare for that portion should be refunded.

14 months from the start, ie.e Sept 2012.
Amtrak's service alert says 13.

Yes. Unrelated to this, but when the wife had to get off the train at TOL and get onto a bus she was given a $150 voucher for the trouble.

Absolutely! If I want to get there fast, I'll fly. If I want to get there cheap and cramped, I'll take a bus. If I want to get there on my own time and in comfort, I'll pay to take the train.

Absolutely! If I want to get there fast, I'll fly. If I want to get there cheap and cramped, I'll take a bus. If I want to get there on my own time and in comfort, I'll pay to take the train.
Agreed. When I pay for a sleeper, I am paying for the (private) room and full, included, hot meals from A to B. I am paying for the fact that if I wish to lay in a bit, I have a mattress and room to lay out and not a bus seat. Quite bluntly, at the present with an LD trip, I would rather get in an hour or two late on the Cap than be an hour early on a bus. I know I'm not the only one that feels that way, either.

That said, I can recognize that there are people who would rather get in on time on the bus...but I would expect, if not a full refund, then at least partial compensation from Amtrak for that share of the upgrade and the lost service.

Edit: I think I know what I was thinking of here. Amtrak is entitled to the base fare that they charge, regardless of the bucket...but I think refunding a portion of the accommodation charge is in order with this.

We just traveled Pittsburgh to CHI to Dallas and back via trains and had no delays until the ride back into Pittsburgh this morning. The train was due to arrive at 4:30 a.m. but was held up till 6:30. I was getting off at Pittsburgh anyway, but I felt really bad for fellow passengers in the sleeper when I heard our attendant Larry (who is very good!), waking people up and telling them they had to gather up their things and get on a bus to DC. Some folk were pretty upset as I guess they didn't know about the construction issue east of Pittsburgh. I heard the delay was due to the fact that we hit something (not a person), but have no confirmation.
I had Larry as my SCA on a recent trip on the Cap. He is very good. Best SCA I've had yet, though I haven't taken sleeper a whole lot.

In regard to the equipment, yes, It deadheads after the work window closes. The Cap spends the night in Washington (it's scheduled to arrive around 12:30 from Chicago, and a different set leaves for Chicago around 4p), so it doesn't affect the westbound train if the eastbound is late.

Driving time to DC is longer than 4 hours.... I can just do it in 4 hours if I have a fast car.

I had Larry as my SCA on a recent trip on the Cap. He is very good. Best SCA I've had yet, though I haven't taken sleeper a whole lot.

In regard to the equipment, yes, It deadheads after the work window closes. The Cap spends the night in Washington (it's scheduled to arrive around 12:30 from Chicago, and a different set leaves for Chicago around 4p), so it doesn't affect the westbound train if the eastbound is late.
I"m just curious as to what time it would end up leaving Pittsburgh. I didn't notice Superliners sitting in Pittsburgh station that morning when I went to work. My office overlooks the station.

I"m just curious as to what time it would end up leaving Pittsburgh. I didn't notice Superliners sitting in Pittsburgh station that morning when I went to work. My office overlooks the station.
It doesn't sit in Pittsburgh, it sits in Cumberland.

Just to clarify a bit more, it sits in Cumberland because those passengers going to either Cumberland or Connellsville remain on the train until those stops. They are not taken off in PGH and bussed.

Just to clarify a bit more, it sits in Cumberland because those passengers going to either Cumberland or Connellsville remain on the train until those stops. They are not taken off in PGH and bussed.
It sits there... and then what? How does it get to WAS?

It sits there... and then what? How does it get to WAS?
It goes on to WAS as a dead-head move after the work is completed for the day and the track is re-opened.

I'm planning on taking the CL to WAS on a Sunday in a couple of weeks, has anyone here been bussed yet?

And how often does it happen?

More importantly, I'll be using AGR points for a sleeper on this trip. What happens if I get bussed? Do I receive a reimbursement of points or fare?

Thanks y'all!

I think that the count is still at just 2 since June, so not too often.

You should get reimbursed, probably a $$ voucher. Amy was on a CL trip WAS-CHI and had to get bussed from Toledo for a freight derailment. Even though the trip was booked on points, she called and got a $150 cash voucher.

Edit:

Here's the full text of the service alert:

Capitol Limited Eastbound Train 30: Possible Service Disruption between Pittsburgh and Washington
Effective Sundays through Thursdays Only - Beginning July 24, 2011

On Sundays through Thursdays only, starting July 24, 2011 and continuing for approximately 13 months, CSX will perform track work near Cumberland, MD, that may affect eastbound Capitol Limited service.

Train 30 is scheduled to depart Cleveland at 1:08 am. If the train is delayed and departs Cleveland after 3:30 am, the following service changes will take place:

Passengers Boarding at Connellsville, Cumberland, Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry and Rockville

If Train 30 departs Cleveland after 3:30 am, service will be canceled at Connellsville, Cumberland, Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry and Rockville. While alternate transportation will not be provided, other travel options may be available. Contact Amtrak for details.

If the train is canceled, passengers boarding at these stations will be contacted by phone early in the morning (after midnight) on the day of their scheduled train departure.

Passengers Destined for Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry, Rockville and Washington

If Train 30 departs Cleveland after 3:30 am, passengers traveling to Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry, Rockville and Washington, will detrain at Pittsburgh, where motorcoach service will be provided to their destination. Amtrak staff will be available on the motorcoaches to assist passengers. The motorcoaches will stop to discharge passengers only. Passengers may not board at theses stations..

Pittsburgh, Connellsville and Cumberland Service

If Train 30 departs Cleveland after 3:30 am, it will stop at Pittsburgh, Connellsville and Cumberland to discharge passengers only. Passengers may not board at theses stations. Train 30 will terminate at Cumberland.

On Fridays and Saturdays, track work will not take place, and Train 30 will serve all stations on the route.

Passengers should contact Amtrak to check the train's departure times before going to the station. For the most up-to-date arrival and departure times, visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may experience.

PSN 711-108 (Updated 7/15/11)

I'm taking the CL in March (my first LD trip) and I hope I don't get bussed.

Why do they work Sun-Thurs instead of Mon-Fri? That seems odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back