Business Class Offered Aboard Cardinal Effective January 19, 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Passengers need to be taken care of beyond the basics provided by the Conductors? The entire lucrative Acela BC service runs with no one special to take care of passengers!
I'm not sure if your post is sarcastic or not... (Acela BC is a total joke... it's coach to me.)

Either way... I was simply wondering who will be responsible for attending to the passengers in the BC car on the Cardinal.

Seat assignments, putting out the coffee, water, juice. Boarding and detraining. Keeping the car clean. Things like that.

I would be very surprised if Amtrak adds a BC car attendant. They are trying to add revenue (BC seating) without increasing costs at the direction of our friends in congress. The Cardinal is a small train and doesn't really justify another person given Amtrak's bare bones approach. One low cost solution: have the sleeping car attendant occasionally check on the BC car passengers and the lounge area and hand out the free snacks.

I wonder if passengers will be allowed to 'carry out' their dinners to the lounge area. Would probably be more pleasant than the crowded Am dinette - especially with some of the seating there having no window.

Now, of course, my question is: are there standard dates for switching from summmer to winter operation, and back, which is the same on all trains? Or is it different on each train and in each year, depending on the weather reports or something?
:) Hopefully this isn't classified information.
I would hope its based on actual ticket sales. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Early last February I rode the SW Chief, long before the announced end of the "winter operating plan"; and it had the non-winter consist.

Last edited by a moderator:
The service announcement does not mention snacks, just non alcoholic beverages. On the Empire Service trains there are no dedicated attendants, and a conductor or A/C directs you to the car. Being a LD train there are a few added possibilities on the Cardinal, we will know pretty soon how they handle it On Empire Service, you go to the same service counter as everyone else for your beverage service.

The winter/summer operating plans are really a blessing for trains like the Cardinal, as I understand it, there is not enough equipment to cover the second sleeper and any additional Amfleet II coaches due to maintenance needs. By knocking these out during the winter months, when traffic is down, you can get a longer Cardinal at peak points.

Spotted the Cardinal at Union Station this morning.

Consist was Sprinter loco (being switched out), Viewliner Bag, One Sleeper, "new" business class, cafe and a couple of coaches.

Looked a little odd with two "cafe"-looking cars and two viewliners.

Thank you. So a bag dorm nets 3 saleable rooms (SCA stays in sleeper). If the train went full diner with a chef and an added LSA for a separate lounge car it could be 5.
The baggage-dorm car will provide 9 roomettes. So if Amtrak sets aside 3 to 5 roomettes for the crew (figuring they would have 1 spare for extra crew or Amtrak personnel taking the Cardinal for training, etc), the bag-dorm should provide roughly 4 roomettes for revenue sale. That is, assuming a full service diner car is not added, but under the current pressure to slash food service losses, odds are that against even after all 25 diner cars are delivered.

I suspect the standard non-summer/fall peak season consist for the Cardinal will comprise of a bag-dorm with 1 sleeper car which will still provide 7 to 8 more roomettes than it currently has with 1 Viewliner sleeper. Two sleepers plus bag-dorm would be deployed for the peak season, but with the BC lounge car now providing additional table seating space.

Amtrak has posted a news release on the addition of the BC to the Cardinal: AN EVEN CLASSIER AMTRAK CARDINAL SERVICE (with some hyperbola. Who would consider the Cardinal level of service "classy"?).

CHICAGO — The Cardinal (Trains 50 & 51) has long been known as one of the most scenic routes on the national Amtrak network. Now, with an available upgrade to Business class, it is an even more comfortable way to travel from New York to Chicago, via Washington; White Sulphur Springs, Va.; Cincinnati and Indianapolis, effective Jan. 19 and 20.

For a surcharge of $51 per person or less, passengers can enjoy bonus Amtrak Guest Rewards® points and the following amenities:

• Spacious leather seats in a car reserved for Business class
• Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
• Complimentary AmtrakConnect® Wi-Fi as cellular data service permits along the route
• Complimentary access to the Metropolitan Lounge at Chicago Union Station
• Access to Philadelphia’s Club Acela at 30th Street Station for $20 a person

Operating three days weekly, the Cardinal offers unforgettable views of the Southeast's stunning natural beauty. Passengers will see gently rolling horse country, the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains, the Shenandoah Valley, and the wild white-water rivers of West Virginia as they can only be seen by train. Heading westward, the train rolls along the banks of the mighty Ohio River — from the quaint towns of Ashland and Maysville to the river city of Cincinnati. From there, the journey continues to the skylines of Indianapolis and Chicago.

i posted this on another thread last friday

the local (Athens, OH) NPR station actually had about a two minute piece on the Cardinal.

miracles never cease

afigg, I see what you are saying. When I was looking at it I wasn't even thinking of the spare rooms in the bag/dorm being sold, just the impact on the regular sleeper. But they do it in the Trans/Dorm cars, so why not? Point well taken.

Amtrak has posted a news release... AN EVEN CLASSIER AMTRAK CARDINAL SERVICE ... Who would consider the Cardinal level of service "classy"?).

CHICAGO — The Cardinal (Trains 50 & 51) has long been known as one of the most scenic routes on the national Amtrak network. Now, with an available upgrade to Business class, it is an even more comfortable way to travel from New York to Chicago, via Washington; White Sulphur Springs, Va.; Cincinnati and Indianapolis, effective Jan. 19 and 20.

Operating three days weekly, the Cardinal offers unforgettable views of the Southeast's stunning natural beauty. Passengers will see gently rolling horse country, the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains, the Shenandoah Valley, and the wild white-water rivers of West Virginia as they can only be seen by train. Heading westward, the train rolls along the banks of the mighty Ohio River — from the quaint towns of Ashland and Maysville to the river city of Cincinnati. From there, the journey continues to the skylines of Indianapolis and Chicago.
Trying too hard to make a pun on "used to be only two classes of service, now we offer three". Good puns can make you groan, puns that fall flat really hurt.

Notice they focused so hard on selling to the upscale market at the Greenbrier that they got the stop in the wrong state? On the SCHEDULES at Amtrak.com it lists White Sulphur Springs, WV (Greenbrier). It gets about 5,000 riders (compared with 15,000 at Charlottesville).

I do like the way they emphasize the scenery. But wish they'd just drop the BS about "rolling along the banks of the Ohio"; that segment is usually done in the dark.

I walked down to take a look at 51 on Wednesday. The new car looked like an Amfleet and was labeled 'Food Service Car.' I think it was numbered 48175. I have a photo with number if any one cares. No one was around the door of the adjacent sleeper so I climbed up and had a peek: 2x1 seating in the forward half of the car with brown leather-looking seats. There were at least half a dozen passengers present on the first day. 50 was 90 minutes late [unusual lately] and it was cold so I didn't walk down.

DSCF4718.JPG

Has anyone here actually tried Business Class on the Cardinal yet? I'm thinking of using some of my points for a quick weekend round trip to Chicago from New Jersey, and if there is actually access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago included with the business class fare I might consider taking the Cardinal for one leg of the trip. (I'm considering it without business class, too, but just wondering if the upgrade is worth the points).

I saw someone post on the FB group (Cardinal/Hoosier FB page) that they had just tried the new BC service and it sounded very nice. Not too many people. The lounge side and the restroom are not accessible to the coach passengers. They mentioned it was a lot like a quiet car, and they also said they would probably upgrade to BC in the future. There was no attendant, but juice, water, and ice was available (self service).

We're on the Cardinal in two weeks (bedroom) but we plan to check out the new car and the lounge area. I'll try to get a few photos.

I was on the Cardinal 50 from Chicago to Washington leaving 1-30-16 in a roomette. The consist was a viewliner ii baggage, 1 sleeper, the business class with 1/2 leather seating and the tables on the other side, diner lite, and 2 coaches. I was in roomette 1. The way that the sleeper was hooked up roomette 1 was on the wrong side of the train to see the New river gorge. I was disappointed and I mentioned it to the SCA and she said to just go up to the Business car and sit at a table wherever I wanted. So, based on being told to do that, I have to assume that the tables in the Business car could also be used as a "lounge" for the sleeper car passengers. Anytime that I went in that car or passed through it to get to the diner lite, there were not many people at the tables (mostly no one). They picked up quite a few people in Business class at the Greenbrier stop and the Business Class was full until they got off in Manassas. There was coffee, bottled water, and juice in the café part of the business car and it was help yourself. There was also tea, decafe coffee and of course the hot water was available. All serve yourself. While in the Business car I did see the regular café person come over and make fresh coffee.

The Business car seemed to be the same as the Business/Café car that I was in when I took the Vermonter about 3 years ago in Business class. Except, of course, that it was really not the café car for the entire train as it was on the Vermonter.

I was going to book Business class for the trip except that a $214 roomette showed up on the Monday before and I got it. The business class add to coach was $47 so it worked out great for the price difference, especially with 4 meals included while on that leg of my trip. Sometimes things just work out...

The way that the sleeper was hooked up roomette 1 was on the wrong side of the train to see the New river gorge. I was disappointed and I mentioned it to the SCA and she said to just go up to the Business car and sit at a table wherever I wanted. So, based on being told to do that, I have to assume that the tables in the Business car could also be used as a "lounge" for the sleeper car passengers.

That is a good assumption since that is the intent. It is for the sleeper and business class passengers as indicated below:

What would be nice is if the tables were made available as lounge space for Business Class and Sleeping Class passengers.

Is there going to be a designated BC attendant? They really should make that person an LSA and have them sell drinks and a few snacks. Sort of the Pacific Parlor Car type service... in an Amfleet I (I know who am I kidding ha.)
That is exactly what the tables are being used for and the car will not have a designated attendant.
Says who?
Use your imagination. Now, if you don't believe what I wrote (and I am not perfect), that is your option. Feel free to board the train and report back.
Now, we have first hand information to back up what I posted before. Perhaps you can PM Crescent-Zephyr a copy of your trip report since it is unlikely he or she has traveled yet. That would help since it is clear that their is a skeptic in out midst:

At this point, the best you can post is "My bad, I didn't realize that the poster I questioned was actually a well-respected, clueful member of the community. I'll keep that in mind when reading his posts and posting in the future."

Or you can keep digging, it's somewhat entertaining.
Glad you're enjoying it! Song and dance is next!:p

Seriously though... ThirdRail could be president Boardman himself but that still doesn't convince me that the business class diner section will actually operate in that fashion. My gut tells me this will quickly become the new Amtrak Crew lounge! That's why I'm interested in hearing first hand reports.

Now back to the topic... If, as third rail says, there is no bc car attendant on the Cardinal, is that normal? The last time I took BC on a Regional train there was no attendant but I know some of the trains have a dedicated BC attendant right?
Is this good enough for you or do you still not believe it?

You know, if they're moving the longer-haul BC cars (e.g. the 2-1 ones) onto LD trains? I seriously applaud that move. First, it gets some semi-dedicated lounge space for sleeper pax (one of the big pluses of the Starlight for me has always been that space). Second, it adds revenue. Finally...I'd like to see Amtrak seriously experiment with getting BC pax into the diners on some of the diner-equipped LD trains. An extra 18-21 pax eating in the dining car would doubtless help diner cost recovery (not to mention that I wouldn't be stuck using a room to guarantee getting dinner).

They picked up quite a few people in Business class at the Greenbrier stop and the Business Class was full until they got off in Manassas.
Stats for how may BC customers the Cardinal gets for trips between Greenbrier and the Northern Virginia, WAS, and NEC stops would be interesting. But I don't expect Amtrak to break those stats out unless NARP asks for the data and publishes it. Clearly a market that a daily Cardinal could tap into far more effectively than a 3 day a week train.

You know, if they're moving the longer-haul BC cars (e.g. the 2-1 ones) onto LD trains? I seriously applaud that move. First, it gets some semi-dedicated lounge space for sleeper pax (one of the big pluses of the Starlight for me has always been that space). Second, it adds revenue. Finally...I'd like to see Amtrak seriously experiment with getting BC pax into the diners on some of the diner-equipped LD trains. An extra 18-21 pax eating in the dining car would doubtless help diner cost recovery (not to mention that I wouldn't be stuck using a room to guarantee getting dinner).
If the Silver Star is not going to get its diner back. it would be the next logical train to add a similar BC / sleeper customer table-lounge car arrangement. I gather the constraint is the number of available club (BC) - dinette cars in use on corridor services. According to On-Track, On-Line, there are 44 active Amfleet I club-dinette cars and 9 Horizon club-dinette cars. If and when the new bi-levels arrive, the Horizon cars could be repurposed for the LD trains. Although that would create an even more mixed consist of Viewliners, Amfleet IIs, and 1 Horizons. Well unless a bunch of Horizons are reconfigured to LD use to create some all Viewliners-Horizons consist, but where the money comes from for that, who knows.

I'm hearing some chatter that business class will expand to another eastern LDSL train soon. Not much in the way of details, just that it is coming. It's refreshing to see Amtrak trying new things to raise revenue.

The Eastern LD that will require the fewest BC cars dedicated to it after the Cardinal is the LSL, and it would provide BC service on a heavily traveled medium route on which all other trains have BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back