Business Class Offered Aboard Cardinal Effective January 19, 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Amtrak is doing this on the Cardinal, I think the Lake Shore should be the next train to get Business Class. Given the amount of business this train does through upstate New York I think this would be an added benefit to the train. Also if they use the BC/table car that Amtrak plans on using on the Cardinal, this would give passengers between New York and Albany a lounge/table car. It would be nice if the car would actually have a working cafe section but that is probably asking too much. Just think that a market exists for this type of service on the Lake Shore.
I have a feeling adding another car to the NY portion of the LSL is pushing the limits of the one engine in passenger service, especially when the 448/449 sleeper has to be sent down to NYP too.

All the more reason to order new dual-modes ASAP! (And for goodness sake make them catenary-diesels instead of third rail-diesels; it makes them much more useful.)

The idea of a cat dual mode having additional usefullness is totally valid. However, since the next DM's are very likely to be paid for by NY State, they aren't going to do much more than they already do (pull out of NYP), that negates the value of cat power.

Another potential market for Cardinal BC are the high rollers going from NY and Wash to the Greenbrier at White Sulphur Springs. Not long ago there was a private initiative to have a dedicated train with substantialy upgraded private equipment being used. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbrier_Presidential_Express

Steam power was planned at the time. Apparently bureauacracy got in the way. And, long ago, the C&O railway ran dedicated sleepers into White Sulphur Springs. If marketed properly, this new service could prove to be quite popular - especially if the Cardinal operates on time!

What would be nice is if the tables were made available as lounge space for Business Class and Sleeping Class passengers.

Is there going to be a designated BC attendant? They really should make that person an LSA and have them sell drinks and a few snacks. Sort of the Pacific Parlor Car type service... in an Amfleet I (I know who am I kidding ha.)
That is exactly what the tables are being used for and the car will not have a designated attendant.

I think utilizing these half business class / half lounge cars on the Cardinal was a very creative idea by someone at Amtrak. Especially since they will not replace the very crowded Amfleet II Cafe/Lounge/Conductor & crew car. It was always hard to find a table on the Cardinal. And I always thought that it was also too crowded around the diner side. No space for the meal attendant to move about. Now the sleeping car pax could have the option of sitting in the half lounge, while they wait for a table in the Diner portion. Rather than having to stand in line by the doorway to the sleeper to get a table in the diner.

The Cardinal is certainly a long distance train that travels through a truly amazing region of America, and prior to this, the Cardinal really suffered from not having enough area to move about the train. Something that's quite important when traveling on a LD rail journey. Before this, you were pretty much limited to your room or your coach seat.

Plus the 2/1 BC seating option is intriguing on such a scenic train. It will offer a mid priced option between Roomette and coach with decent comfort - even for an overnight trip. And since it's a NY based train I would think they have quite a few of the 2/1 cars available in NY - as we have often seen them randomly added to NEC corridor trains. This is a much better use!

I look forward to my next Cardinal trip in February.
Regarding the split club cars, they are actually in high demand and hard to come by. There aren't many extras. Another train sacrificed its car in favor of a full business class to make this happen.

Today's 50 was really a stub - 1 bag, 1 sleeper, café, 2 coaches. That's it. Sunday I noticed the 50 had 3 coaches but the last one was unoccupied. I thought maybe it was malfunctioning somehow.

So I guess Amtrak is really responding to demand which is interesting. The Cardinal actually had 4 coaches and/or a second sleeper on a few trips over the holidays.

I plan to be out there next Wed with a camera to see what comes through.
Like most trains, the Cardinal is under the winter operating plan. The 50 you observed will be the normal consist except it will have the split club behind the sleeper.

What would be nice is if the tables were made available as lounge space for Business Class and Sleeping Class passengers.

Is there going to be a designated BC attendant? They really should make that person an LSA and have them sell drinks and a few snacks. Sort of the Pacific Parlor Car type service... in an Amfleet I (I know who am I kidding ha.)
That is exactly what the tables are being used for and the car will not have a designated attendant.
Says who?

Says who?
Use your imagination. Now, if you don't believe what I wrote (and I am not perfect), that is your option. Feel free to board the train and report back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Says who?
Says someone who has "inside" info. Stick around and you'll learn who has valid info on here.

I've been around long enough to know not to trust someone just cause they said so. ;)

I will however be interested to hear how things go from first hand reports.

Thirdrail7 isn't just "someone".

Pay close enough attention and you can figure out who is full of crap and who knows what they're talking about.

Pay even closer attention and you can figure out who works for the company and is giving you a first hand report, even if you can't tell.

Connecting those comments to the present discussion is left as an exercise to the reader.

I've been around long enough to know not to trust someone just cause they said so. ;)

I will however be interested to hear how things go from first hand reports.
Son, you've made a total of 52 comments, including these recent unfortunate ones.

Thirdrail7 has made 715 comments. He usually has something substantial to say, and is well respected by other long-timers here.

Maybe you can aspire to such a station in life, but you aren't quite there yet. Continuing in this manner, you will only embarrass yourself. Now just chill and this too shall pass.

Actually failed to edit, above, due to reasons unknown.

What I wanted to add is that I see that I've posted more comments than Thirdrail7, LOL. Certainly didn't mean to suggest that my info is better than his just because I have run up a larger number of posts. Maybe I'm just more long-winded. Anyway, I'm from the outside looking in, so our approaches to the broad subject of Amtrak are quite different. And that means there's a qualitative difference, because Thirdrail7 can get into the nuts and bolts of operations where I know nothing.

I'm not sure how me questioning a statement gives you a good reason to call me "son" or tell me to "chill" but I don't appreciate that.

I'm not worried about being emberassed... Because I don't claim to know anything!

At this point, the best you can post is "My bad, I didn't realize that the poster I questioned was actually a well-respected, clueful member of the community. I'll keep that in mind when reading his posts and posting in the future."

Or you can keep digging, it's somewhat entertaining.

At this point, the best you can post is "My bad, I didn't realize that the poster I questioned was actually a well-respected, clueful member of the community. I'll keep that in mind when reading his posts and posting in the future."

Glad you're enjoying it! Song and dance is next! :p

Seriously though... ThirdRail could be president Boardman himself but that still doesn't convince me that the business class diner section will actually operate in that fashion. My gut tells me this will quickly become the new Amtrak Crew lounge! That's why I'm interested in hearing first hand reports.

Now back to the topic... If, as third rail says, there is no bc car attendant on the Cardinal, is that normal? The last time I took BC on a Regional train there was no attendant but I know some of the trains have a dedicated BC attendant right?

Glad you're enjoying it! Song and dance is next!:p

Seriously though... ThirdRail could be president Boardman himself but that still doesn't convince me that the business class diner section will actually operate in that fashion. My gut tells me this will quickly become the new Amtrak Crew lounge! That's why I'm interested in hearing first hand reports.

Now back to the topic... If, as third rail says, there is no bc car attendant on the Cardinal, is that normal? The last time I took BC on a Regional train there was no attendant but I know some of the trains have a dedicated BC attendant right?

There is always room for trouble when intent and application come into play. I can only explain intent. As I previously indicated, feel free to board the train and report back, since that is the ONLY true way to ascertain the application.

After all, thirteen people can take the trip and give a glowing review and the day you show up, the crew may occupy the space like it is Wall Street.

The North East regional trains lost their dedicated attendant years ago. Some state supported train retained their attendants. The Carolinian is a prime example.

But, you probably won't believe me. :p

Business class is becoming very interesting. As well as the premium Acela 1st class. There appears to be a very high unmet demand for First on Acela and much more Business class on various LD and regional trains. Even in this "slow" season now upon us the Business class seats are selling out especially Palmetto, Carolinian, Pennsylvanian.

Of course the first thing to do is get enough funds to rebuild Amfleets and Horizons for Business class so they can be added where needed. As well locomotive rebuilding's will be needed. Only then can Amtrak evaluate how much demand for BC there is on any route. Seems like the Cardinal with its one sleeper only ( except summer ) will be an interesting indication of how other routes may fare. Will BC steal from sleepers may be the most important question ?

Ha. I believe you.

I thought I remembered the Carolinian having one, and Surfliner trains too.

So who is responsible for taking care of the BC passengers?

Like most trains, the Cardinal is under the winter operating plan.
Oooh. You just implied that Amtrak now has a "winter operating plan" and a "summer operating plan" (or at least a "rest of year operating plan") for each train.

This is a significant change from five years ago. And a good one.

Now, of course, my question is: are there standard dates for switching from summmer to winter operation, and back, which is the same on all trains? Or is it different on each train and in each year, depending on the weather reports or something?

:) Hopefully this isn't classified information.

I understand not having a designated attendant for 18 seats, but doesn't every revenue car on an LD train have some form of attendant just to keep an eye on stops, boarding/alighting, etc.? I suppose if it's just a matter of getting folks on and off the train, the adjacent SCA could pop in provided the two cars share a vestibule? Maybe I'll pop by in ALX one day to see how it's going.

Either way, I think this is a great step and now I just need an excuse to ride the Cardinal!

Like most trains, the Cardinal is under the winter operating plan.
Oooh. You just implied that Amtrak now has a "winter operating plan" and a "summer operating plan" (or at least a "rest of year operating plan") for each train.

This is a significant change ...
I've seen a couple of Amtrak officials quoted making reference to "right-sizing" the trains now. Hope they can get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back