Business Class Offered Aboard Cardinal Effective January 19, 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one big difference between IP and Amtrak's business class on the route: the quality of food.

Actually BC makes a lot of sense for this route. The HS has Business class now. Even though I find it worlds apart. And the run from CVS to NYP has BC already so it might be a good thing

So far business class isn't a bookable option yet for the Cardinal (I was curious what the upcharge was and Amtrak says its bookable as of today). If they end up putting a 62 seat amfleet 1 BC car on, it will be a rip-off being that the regular Amfleet 2 seats are larger. So hopefully its the Dinette with the 2-1 seating.

So far business class isn't a bookable option yet for the Cardinal (I was curious what the upcharge was and Amtrak says its bookable as of today). If they end up putting a 62 seat amfleet 1 BC car on, it will be a rip-off being that the regular Amfleet 2 seats are larger. So hopefully its the Dinette with the 2-1 seating.
For AGR members, the TQM bonus in BC might still make it worthwhile irrespective of whether it is a Capstone car or a Club-Dinette.

While I have no idea what it will actually be, I must say that I expect this will end up using Amfleet II coaches as BC, as they are obviously the best suited for this. Just swap out the cushions to have leather seats. (This is what they did last time there was a single level LD with business class accommodations...)

It seems logical to me that they will use the leather seat/2-1 cafe/business class cars that have been floating around the northeast. There should be enough of those to equip the train, and it would be essentially zero cost, just reassignment. I'm pleased with this, as they are generally nice and an improvement over the usual Cardinal fare. I am also curious what they will charge, and have been trying to book all day, since I have a short trip planned CVS-CLF on January 22.

IF there was 2-1 seating, and IF you could reserve your seat (so I know I have a single seat when traveling solo) I would be very happy to pay extra.

If it's standard Amfleet II Seating and the chances of a stranger being assigned to the seat next to me are the same, I have very little reason to pay extra for this service, although the Metropolitan Lounge could sway me.

Purely out of curiousity, I called Amtrak this afternoon. The reservation agent told me that Business Class seats were not available yet in the system, but she suggested that it would be a $25 upcharge from whatever fare I selected for that route, Charlottesville to Clifton Forge (tickets range from $15 to $19 to $36 that particular day).

Realistically, I think they stick to the 3 Amfleet II coaches, the current diner/cafe, this new business class/lounge, a VL Sleeper and baggage. Would love it if they added a real diner and made this car the part lounge, but don't imagine they will take on that extra cost. Since they will still be lugging the combined diner/cafe, I guess this new car will provide an extra half lounge area, giving the train roughly a full lounge car, albeit divided, and half a diner. Seems to make sense.

Long term, in 12 months or so, I would expect Amtrak will cut the baggage and add a baggage/dorm to help ease demand on the sole sleeper. Would like to see two full sleepers and a new diner, but expect that Amtrak will find other places to use that equipment.

For AGR members, the TQM bonus in BC might still make it worthwhile irrespective of whether it is a Capstone car or a Club-Dinette.
Last I read the bonus was not TQM. Has this changed recently?

It says it is for Business Class. There is no mention of any exceptions to it, so unless notified otherwise I assume it is true for all Business Class.

Quote from the FlyerTalk Wiki on the 2016 AGR Program:

AGR will provide new class-of-service TQP bonuses: 25% for qualifying travel in Business class and 50% for qualifying travel in Acela First class.
Notice the absence of the word "Acela" before the phrase "Business Class" in the above?

Read the further explanation by clicking the link to the explanation page of the Wiki and satisfy yourself further that the 25% bonus for all Business Class travel is tier qualifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
It says it is for Business Class. There is no mention of any exceptions to it, so unless notified otherwise I assume it is true for all Business Class.

Quote from the FlyerTalk Wiki on the 2016 AGR Program:

AGR will provide new class-of-service TQP bonuses: 25% for qualifying travel in Business class and 50% for qualifying travel in Acela First class.
Notice the absence of the word "Acela" before the phrase "Business Class" in the above?

Read the further explanation by clicking the link to the explanation page of the Wiki and satisfy yourself further that the 25% bonus for all Business Class travel is tier qualifying.
Well that is good to know. When first round of info came out, it was considered non tier qualifying (Can't find the doc). Plus no one could say at the time at AGR if it was or not.

The Select, Select+ and Select-E bonuses are still not tier qualifying, but the BC and Acela FC bonuses are tier qualifying.

Bob Dylan you had spent considerable time moaning about Sleeper not getting any bonus back then.

I think the logic behind the extra bonus support for all BC is that absent that the upcharge for BC is not necessarily that attractive. This is a means for getting people to spend the upcharge.

This thought came to me when I noticed that United just upped the PQM to 200% (i.e. 100% bonus for Domestic FC and International BF), and 300% for Global First. This is to entice people to buy into specially Domestic FC instead of getting complementary upgrades etc. At least there is a small amount of merit to the idea. This single act by United now bags me over 28,000PQM on my single BF round trip to India which begins in two days - which makes me a Premier Bronze in a single shot. I will have another one way trip to India later this year bagging me another 14,000PQM. Oh well, there sometimes are good consequences.

Excellent info and analysis jis,makes sense!

And you are correct about the Sleepers getting excluded, I'm still po'd about Sleeper passengers getting no bonsus as in Less for More! YMMV

According to updated Service Standards memo issued a few days ago, Cardinal Business Class includes "Unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea".

Also interesting to note, it says Midwest BC is entitled to "one non alcoholic beverage as well as unlimited coffee and tea" and a newspaper...

Are Newspapers making a comeback on Amtrak? Maybe flowers in the Diner ( and a Diner on the Star!!)and All Day Coffee in the Sleepers will return?

Cue Roy Orbison singing "In Dreams".

The business class changes appear to have gone live on Amtrak.com for February 20th

Chicago - Lafayette is a 29$ up charge from coach

Chicago - Indy is 39$

Chicago - Washington D.C. is 45$

Chicago - New York is 51$

For the Chicago to Indianapolis area the Amtrak Business class appears to be 6$ cheaper than Iowa Pacific's (obviously different days of the week).

Glad to see Amtrak increasing the service options.

That's not too bad if the Biz Class Car on the Card has the nice 2×1 Faux Leather Seating in a Cafe/Biz Car!

With the High price Sleeper(s) on the Cardinal, and the food in Diner Lite, its definitely worth taking your own food and drink and upgrading in lieu of riding Coach on a LD trip!!

That's not too bad if the Biz Class Car on the Card has the nice 2×1 Faux Leather Seating in a Cafe/Biz Car!

With the High price Sleeper(s) on the Cardinal, and the food in Diner Lite, its definitely worth taking your own food and drink and upgrading in lieu of riding Coach on a LD trip!!
As Biz Class customer it sounds like you get unlimited drinks, so you don't even have to take your own drinks.

According to updated Service Standards memo issued a few days ago, Cardinal Business Class includes "Unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea".

Also interesting to note, it says Midwest BC is entitled to "one non alcoholic beverage as well as unlimited coffee and tea" and a newspaper...
So Business Class passengers receive unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea at any time. Sleeping car passengers are limited to two complimentary bottles of water per person, per trip and complimentary juice, coffee and tea only between the hours of 6 am and 11 am. :wacko:

The business class car on 50/51 will be a split Club/Dinette with 18 2x1 leather seats. It will be sandwiched between the sleeper and existing cafe/diner lite.

So Business Class passengers receive unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea at any time. Sleeping car passengers are limited to two complimentary bottles of water per person, per trip and complimentary juice, coffee and tea only between the hours of 6 am and 11 am. :wacko:

The business class car on 50/51 will be a split Club/Dinette with 18 2x1 leather seats. It will be sandwiched between the sleeper and existing cafe/diner lite.
That's what happens when you come up with a new policy separate from other policies. You end up with completely mismatched perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back