Business Class Offered Aboard Cardinal Effective January 19, 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really not that bad a situation...the dinette portion of this car will kind of act as a "first class lounge" for BC and sleeper passengers (I am assuming the cafe portion of the car will not be open). Will BC passengers be able to eat in the diner lite?

From my experience, I'll bet that SC passengers can just ask for coffee or water (or ice) in the BC car and get it. Or the diner car, when it's staffed.

Still no BC for sale. Amtrak ticketing webpage only has 4 columns and for the Cardinal they're all already in use. ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil S...click onto the sleeper column (use the arrows). It will show the sleeper accomodations and business class. Only 4 columns are used...BC is in with the sleepers.

Thanks! But I don't find any BC options under sleeper column. I was doing a Tuesday in late February. What exactly needs to be clicked on to see the BC fare?

According to updated Service Standards memo issued a few days ago, Cardinal Business Class includes "Unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea".

Also interesting to note, it says Midwest BC is entitled to "one non alcoholic beverage as well as unlimited coffee and tea" and a newspaper...
So Business Class passengers receive unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea at any time. Sleeping car passengers are limited to two complimentary bottles of water per person, per trip and complimentary juice, coffee and tea only between the hours of 6 am and 11 am. :wacko:

The business class car on 50/51 will be a split Club/Dinette with 18 2x1 leather seats. It will be sandwiched between the sleeper and existing cafe/diner lite.
I took business class on the Wolverine in December and it indeed was one soft drink per passenger (you had to sign a sheet with your name) and she said all the coffee and tea that you wanted. I then connected to the Cardinal and if that official policy was just water and juice between certain hours, my attendant didn't follow it and kept the service area full of water bottles, juice, and ice all day.

According to updated Service Standards memo issued a few days ago, Cardinal Business Class includes "Unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea".

Also interesting to note, it says Midwest BC is entitled to "one non alcoholic beverage as well as unlimited coffee and tea" and a newspaper...
So Business Class passengers receive unlimited complimentary bottles of water, juice, coffee and tea at any time. Sleeping car passengers are limited to two complimentary bottles of water per person, per trip and complimentary juice, coffee and tea only between the hours of 6 am and 11 am. :wacko:

The business class car on 50/51 will be a split Club/Dinette with 18 2x1 leather seats. It will be sandwiched between the sleeper and existing cafe/diner lite.
I took business class on the Wolverine in December and it indeed was one soft drink per passenger (you had to sign a sheet with your name) and she said all the coffee and tea that you wanted. I then connected to the Cardinal and if that official policy was just water and juice between certain hours, my attendant didn't follow it and kept the service area full of water bottles, juice, and ice all day.
Wait, on the Cardinal you got all that for free in Coach or in Sleeper?

That's in the sleeper

That's in the sleeper
Thanks for clarifying. That's very nice. Looking forward to my first sleeper trip next month, which begins with the Cardinal.

Is this confirmed? That they will indeed be using the preferred 2/1 seating BC/lounge type cars? If so - this is really good news!

Trains News Wire this morning reports that the 2/1 business class/cafe cars similar to those used on Michigan/Illinois trains will be assigned to the Cardinal. This will be in addition to the dinette/lounge cars already assigned to the train.

I am surprised that Amtrak is adding BC to the Cardinal. I would not have expected the Cardinal to be the next LD train to get BC as it does not have the daytime trips for major city pairs such as the Coast Starlight has. I suspect the competition from the upgraded Hoosier State is part of the reason.
But I wonder if another reason for adding a split Club/Dinette car is to use the additional tables as extra seating capacity for the Amfleet II car. How crowded or overloaded has the Amfleet II car gotten when the Cardinal has added a second sleeper car? Since Amtrak has Club/Dinette cars available, by adding one to the Cardinal, even if the food service area is not staffed, it provides additional tables, extra food and supply storage for the Amfleet II diner service, and 18 BC seats for additional revenue, however much they get. In that context, adding BC makes sense.

I am surprised that Amtrak is adding BC to the Cardinal. I would not have expected the Cardinal to be the next LD train to get BC as it does not have the daytime trips for major city pairs such as the Coast Starlight has. I suspect the competition from the upgraded Hoosier State is part of the reason.
But I wonder if another reason for adding a split Club/Dinette car is to use the additional tables as extra seating capacity for the Amfleet II car. How crowded or overloaded has the Amfleet II car gotten when the Cardinal has added a second sleeper car? Since Amtrak has Club/Dinette cars available, by adding one to the Cardinal, even if the food service area is not staffed, it provides additional tables, extra food and supply storage for the Amfleet II diner service, and 18 BC seats for additional revenue, however much they get. In that context, adding BC makes sense.
I'd like to think it's an added car that upgrades the consist, offering a smidge more capacity and better options on food service.

I'd like to think it's a nice step toward taking the Cardinal daily, as soon as enuff CAF cars are in the fleet.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Into Chicago, the Cardinal (with the Hoosier State) operates daily, like a corridor train, receiving pax at every stop. The daily service tilts the passenger counts toward the Indiana stations. (Indianapolis has almost 16,000 and Lafayette 10,000 -- at least when things go well.)

On the NEC to NYC, the Cardinal is discharging only, no boarding. Beyond Alexandria, it passes thru Charlottesville only 3-days a week each way, but that station pulls a cool 20,000 Cardinal riders, and Charlottesville-D.C. is the 4th busiest city pair. Then in West Virginia, Charleston gets almost 10,000 and Huntington about 6,000. Daily service could double the counts for the eastern end of the route.

Then maybe one fine day, West Virginia could wake up wanting a second frequency on the corridor from Huntington and Charleston to Charlottesville and the NEC. A very fine day that would be, indeed. LOL.

Given how crowded the current cafe/diner-lite setup is, I wonder if it would make sense to put the diner-lite in the new car? This would allow more space for the attendant and would avoid having to place garbage in the vestibule as was done when I road the Cardinal last year.

Given how crowded the current cafe/diner-lite setup is, I wonder if it would make sense to put the diner-lite in the new car? This would allow more space for the attendant and would avoid having to place garbage in the vestibule as was done when I road the Cardinal last year.
The Amfleet I Club/Dinette car is probably not compatible with diner lite service requirements. Those cars don't have the extra storage, Traulsen refrigerator or steam tables. They may not have convection ovens behind the counter, either. Thirdrail7 can probably advise further on the convection capabilities. I doubt the diner lite service attendant will want to use the extra tables. Simultaneously doubles their work load and splits them shuffling back and forth between two cars. That is also assuming the consist plan calls for tables rear next to the lounge vs. tables forward.

I think Business Class would work very well if it were offered on the Lake Shore Limited. That would help it fulfill its role as the last train out and early train in on the Empire Corridor west. In addition it would come of use west of Toledo too.

What would be nice is if the tables were made available as lounge space for Business Class and Sleeping Class passengers.

Is there going to be a designated BC attendant? They really should make that person an LSA and have them sell drinks and a few snacks. Sort of the Pacific Parlor Car type service... in an Amfleet I (I know who am I kidding ha.)

An Amfleet 1 café is easily utilized for Diner Lite service on the Cardinal. It is equipped with 2 convection ovens...all that is needed for this service. However, the current staffing, there is only one LSA (the café LSA) on the train. In order to use a separate car for Diner Lite, the SA position would need to be replaced with another LSA, due to accountability and training issues. Not impossible, but would require some adjustment. The extra tables would be great for service, especially during times with 2 sleepers IMHO.

I agree. I think that since the Cardinal is the only LD train using the split Diner Lite car, it could be easier from an equipment standpoint to convert these BC Amfleet I's to Diner Lite service and make them Cardinal dedicated, allowing Amtrak to use regular Amfleet II Cafe/Lounges that the rest of the fleet uses for the Lounge section. Essentially, make it one "Cardinal specific" car per train rather than two. That's gotta be easier.

Of course, that would require some conversion of the BC Cafe, and with new diners coming out in a year or so, perhaps this train will take one and maybe offer more of a cafe set up in the full diner? I couldn't imagine full, three or four person dining crews being assigned to the Cardinal, but see no reason why a new VL II Dining car wouldn't make a great lounge too.

I think utilizing these half business class / half lounge cars on the Cardinal was a very creative idea by someone at Amtrak. Especially since they will not replace the very crowded Amfleet II Cafe/Lounge/Conductor & crew car. It was always hard to find a table on the Cardinal. And I always thought that it was also too crowded around the diner side. No space for the meal attendant to move about. Now the sleeping car pax could have the option of sitting in the half lounge, while they wait for a table in the Diner portion. Rather than having to stand in line by the doorway to the sleeper to get a table in the diner.

The Cardinal is certainly a long distance train that travels through a truly amazing region of America, and prior to this, the Cardinal really suffered from not having enough area to move about the train. Something that's quite important when traveling on a LD rail journey. Before this, you were pretty much limited to your room or your coach seat.

Plus the 2/1 BC seating option is intriguing on such a scenic train. It will offer a mid priced option between Roomette and coach with decent comfort - even for an overnight trip. And since it's a NY based train I would think they have quite a few of the 2/1 cars available in NY - as we have often seen them randomly added to NEC corridor trains. This is a much better use!

I look forward to my next Cardinal trip in February.

My local NPR station ( Athens Ohio ) actually ran a one minute piece on the Cardinal this morning talking about the upgrade to CUS and mentioning the stops at Huntington and Portsmouth. It's the end of the world as we know it.

Today's 50 was really a stub - 1 bag, 1 sleeper, café, 2 coaches. That's it. Sunday I noticed the 50 had 3 coaches but the last one was unoccupied. I thought maybe it was malfunctioning somehow.

So I guess Amtrak is really responding to demand which is interesting. The Cardinal actually had 4 coaches and/or a second sleeper on a few trips over the holidays.

I plan to be out there next Wed with a camera to see what comes through.

If Amtrak is doing this on the Cardinal, I think the Lake Shore should be the next train to get Business Class. Given the amount of business this train does through upstate New York I think this would be an added benefit to the train. Also if they use the BC/table car that Amtrak plans on using on the Cardinal, this would give passengers between New York and Albany a lounge/table car. It would be nice if the car would actually have a working cafe section but that is probably asking too much. Just think that a market exists for this type of service on the Lake Shore.

Depending on how far you are traveling, those Recliner-type seats in the 2-1 Amtrak are actually MUCH more comfortable than the daytime config. of the Sleeper seats. If you don't mind being a bit stinky upon arrival, you could probably knock out a decent night's sleep on them as well, especially if you have the single or a 2-pack to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back