Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... a better copy editor would catch simple mistakes like calling All Aboard Florida All Aboard America in part of the article
The bean counter consultants wanted to chop all the copy editor jobs at the magazine company where I worked. They explained, "Now you have SpellCheck to handle that work".

Well, jis, "America" was spelled correctly in "All Aboard America". So what's your point? LOL.

Woody,

I am a copy editor (and very lucky to work for a place whose authors appreciate someone catching their errors and making their writing better). I find it very difficult to read magazines or newspapers now, because I just want to scream at the errors.

On a more cheerful note, I love looking at the brightline photos and am so excited about this new train that I will forgive them for not spelling their name with an initial cap! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Woody,

... very difficult to read magazines or newspapers now, because I just want to scream at the errors.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Online text is even worse.

Not to mention that putting text into narrow, readable columns was so cumbersome for early word-processing software that it's not done anymore -- see, Amtrak United, for example. Now sentences must march for five or six inches across a page.

I love looking at the brightline photos ... I will forgive them for not spelling their name with an initial cap! :p
Better than BRIGHTLINE in all caps!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit: Sorry, I don't have the skills to Quote and insert comments. :(

Woody,

I can post quotes from some computers but not others, so it's not you. The tech experts on here will know what the difference is.

jis,

I forgot about it being a trademark. I actually put that sentence about brightline in just to get back on the subject, so I wouldn't drag us all off to another topic :p .

jis,

I forgot about it being a trademark. I actually put that sentence about brightline in just to get back on the subject, so I wouldn't drag us all off to another topic :p .
Yeah. The company that owns the trademark is All Aboard Florida, which is a subsidiary of FEC Industries (not FEC Railway). Both FECI and FECR are owned by the Fortress Group.

Expect the speedy delivery of these trains to boost the likelihood that the Siemens plant in Sacramento will see future business building coaches similar to what Brightline is going to use in the future.

Expect the speedy delivery of these trains to boost the likelihood that the Siemens plant in Sacramento will see future business building coaches similar to what Brightline is going to use in the future.
So maybe that makes it more likely for Amtrak to eventually go with Siemens for both their Amfleet 1 and Amfleet 2 replacements?

When Amtrak issues those RFPs it is very likely that Siemens would bid. As for who gets picked, that is a different matter.
I wonder when Amtrak will issue those RFP's, and if they would go for one massive Amfleet replacement order (Amfleet 1's and 2's) or first the 2's, and then in a separate RFP/Contract, the older Amfleet 1's?

If it is a separate RFP, then maybe Amtrak could have CAF build the new Amfleet 2's, and make them look like the new baggage cars?

I bet that companies that will bid on the new Amfleet's include Alstom, Bombardier, CAF, Kawasaki, and Siemens.

Looks like all the power heads will be the same livery. The cars of each consist will initially be a consist unique color. Since they are integrated sets, they will probably remain that way except on rare occasions when a substitution may be come necessary I suppose. But considering that Amtrak manages to keep the Acela sets as they were delivered, it is likely that so will AFF with the Brightline sets.

We'll get people saying "I was on the blue train today" (wonder if they'll be consistent with each color being at the same time?) in the future.

I guess with maintenance being mileage based, and with the same cars remaining together, that an entire set would come up for maintenance at the same time and spares thinking would thus be in terms of holding a spare set rather than spare cars. The locomotives would of course have a different maintenance rythym.

This is more or less what happens in the Uk to the HSTs, with the same cars remaining together over long periods but the power heads being switched out more frequently.

This is why you are far more likely to see a power head in a non matching color scheme than a car in the middle of a consist having the same.

So one thing that we learn from the video is that the consists will most likely be semi-permanently coupled together using non standard draw bar connectors, like the Acela consists. Look at the coupler at the rear end of the locomotive, or rather lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back