Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Jim. I have now embarrassed myself twice! :blush:

After all the things I have learned here, just shows how much more there is to learn! (and I am not going to admit I don't remember who those lyrics were from--Doobie brothers?)
I'm not finding "steel wheels keep on turning." But "big wheel keep on turning" was a phrase in "Proud Mary" by John Fogarty of Credence Clearwater Revival, covered by, among others, Tina Turner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJGoNeM3WzY

Edit: Well, look at that. Always before I just do a link and can't get it to embed. Now here, OFF TOPIC as I am, the Amtrak Unlimited system posts the whole dayum video. LOL. But I don't have the heart to delete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
More photos, including several photos of the interior from what looks to be a mockup or first article coach car, and info from the tour at Siemens in Railway Age: Brightline trainsets taking shape.

Excerpts:

Brightline trainsets are fully accessible train, “exceeding ADA compliance standards and addressing the needs of passengers by providing end-to-end mobility for all travelers,” Brightline said. “To do this, Brightline trainsets feature high-level boarding, utilizing retractable platforms that are integrated into the door systems. Prior to the doors opening, the platforms will extend up to 12 inches from the train and pivot to create a flush surface for passengers to cross, making it easy for those with mobility challenges, pushing strollers or luggage to board Brightline. Once on board, passengers will find Brightline aisles are 32 inches wide, providing ample space for wheelchairs and strollers to easily glide throughout the coach with access to all areas, including the restrooms. Interior vestibule doors will also slide open and close automatically.”

Trains don't have "tires" except toy ones Patty! The correct terminology is Wheels! ( as in "..Steel wheels keep on turning.. ")
Mostly correct in modern practice. Most steam locomotive driving wheels are two piece with an inner wheel and an outer tire. Some antique rail cars had tires during the transition from iron to steel, and also experiments with other materials (including pressed paper) for the wheel to dampen vibration. I believe but cannot confirm right now that some European stuff (French likely) have some composite wheel sets.

I'm impressed. I still don't see how viable AAF/Brightline will be until the West Palm Beach-Orlando link is finished. AAF is competing with Tri-Rail on that route, and while AAF's run will be faster, will it be woth the extra cost? I would not be surprised if AAF offers a commuter pass for West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale to Miami customers (which would work well). Still, I'm glad things are coming along and there's been talk of even expanding to Tampa (heck, I hope both Jacksonville and Orlando see Brightline service).

Remember, if you build it, they will come.

Here are some photos I took of the progress made during the last month or so.

May 28/29 signal gantry installation - West Palm Beach

July 3rd - West Palm Beach station

July 7th - Forest Hill Signals

Just south of the Forest Hill Blvd. crossing in West Palm Beach.

July 7th - West Palm Beach (C-51) Canal Crossing

This canal forms the border between West Palm Beach and Lake Worth city limits.

July 7th - Pine Street Crossing Lantana

It appears this crossing had significant work done to the existing mainline. The rails now appear to bank over the crossing (no doubt to allow for higher speeds). I also believe the existing mainline was realigned to reduce what was a 2.8 degree curve to 1.3 degrees (based off the last track map I saw.

Also, just for fun, here is a picture of my plug-in hybrid Chevy Volt parked across from a FEC local train waiting for permission to proceed through the work zone in West Palm Beach. All rail(construction?)fanning today was CO2 emissions free.

Here are some photos I took of the progress made during the last month or so.

May 28/29 signal gantry installation - West Palm Beach

July 3rd - West Palm Beach station

July 7th - Forest Hill Signals

Just south of the Forest Hill Blvd. crossing in West Palm Beach.

July 7th - West Palm Beach (C-51) Canal Crossing

This canal forms the border between West Palm Beach and Lake Worth city limits.

July 7th - Pine Street Crossing Lantana

It appears this crossing had significant work done to the existing mainline. The rails now appear to bank over the crossing (no doubt to allow for higher speeds). I also believe the existing mainline was realigned to reduce what was a 2.8 degree curve to 1.3 degrees (based off the last track map I saw.

Also, just for fun, here is a picture of my plug-in hybrid Chevy Volt parked across from a FEC local train waiting for permission to proceed through the work zone in West Palm Beach. All rail(construction?)fanning today was CO2 emissions free.
Nice shots - I love how the Palm Beach views go from clouds in the background to bright sun and fluffy clouds - not nearly as hazy as Chicago at the moment.

Well, there is plenty of double tracking of FEC going on too. However, laying new track on a completely new virgin right of way is certainly very different from merely double tracking along a pre-existing right of way.

13995636_1575623766076820_5037683982011938348_o.jpg

13925455_1575623826076814_6347927877696674773_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/GoBrightline/posts/1575623849410145

Well, there is plenty of double tracking of FEC going on too. However, laying new track on a completely new virgin right of way is certainly very different from merely double tracking along a pre-existing right of way.
Is the new ROW going to start with double tracking?

As I understand it some of it will be double track but not all of it. It is unnecessary to have double track all the way to run upto half hourly service, and initially it will only be hourly service.

As I understand it some of it will be double track but not all of it. It is unnecessary to have double track all the way to run upto half hourly service, and initially it will only be hourly service.
It's not just the AAF service but also freight.

I'm guessing that the capacity has been similated with software and this gives them a pretty good idea of how much double track is needed - and where - to be able to absorb unforseen late running or other disruptions.

Also, adding a second track later may be costlier than doing stuff right from the start. For example because this may involve suspending service at certain points during the construction cycle and this would be very disruptive if you are trying to ramp up patronage. I am assuming that a certain level of capacity future proofing is already included in the initial operating segment to avoid having to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back