St. Paul, Milwaukee, Chicago (TCMC) second daily service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don’t think the Milwaukee predicament is much of an issue. It’s almost impossible to totally fill a train the whole length of the route. If it becomes concerning to the states involved, they will employ the same sort of fare management that Amtrak employs for the LD trains that sell space on the on the NEC, pay to add cars, or take one of many cheaper, less time consuming, actions possible . Cutting cars on a corridor train is, I think, total overkill. Next commuter trains will be cutting cars.

Commuter trains used to cut cars. Dinkys with one engine and one gallery car could be seen on outlying branches of Metra, leaving the rest of the coaches behind at a major interchange station.

Amtrak #7(19) left Chicago today with the consist for the first eastbound Borealis on the end to be dropped off at the Twin Cities to be in position. This combo train was caught by RailfannerGuy13 at Golf, Illinois.

kschmidt626 also filmed this Empire Builder at Milwaukee.

Was that an Amfleet car carrying the marker’s?

Are we going to be live blogging the inaugural runs with champagne (well, ok, old fashioneds and cheese curds) and watching live webcams tomorrow?
Sorry "RATS" prior engagement will not find me participating in this event -
I am sure it will be adequately covered by the media and other amateur enthusiasts.

I am taking the Borealis train on Friday round-trip to Winona in Business class - report follows that - - -

Are we going to be live blogging the inaugural runs with champagne (well, ok, old fashioneds and cheese curds) and watching live webcams tomorrow?

I was seriously considering going out to watch them. Though, weather may change my plans.

There were a lot of celebrants Monday who headed to the opening of the new station at Peterson on Metra UP North. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same faces at the stations along Metra Milwaukee North tomorrow at filming or taking photos of the sounds and lights of Borealis.

I, already, have a longstanding habit of excitedly exclaiming aloud the name of an Amtrak train, as it passes through, whenever I see it in my neighborhood. Starting today, I get to add, "BOREALIS!" to "HIAWATHA!" and "THE EMPIRE BUILDER!"

Last edited:
Someone posted on Trainorders how they will cycle equipment. There will be a 3rd set of Hiawatha equipment:

Set 1 - Borealis as the "old 333"
Set 2 - Borealis as the "old 340"
Set 3 - Hiawatha set as 329/332 - sit all day until 341
Set 4 - Hiawatha set as 330/331/334/335/338/339/342 (normal)
Set 5 - Make up Hiawatha set as 336 and 337 (160 south facer)

I am currently on # 1333 from Chicago. There are a number of rail fans on board.

There were also a number of photographers at various points along the track in Chicago and suburbs.

The on-board customer service agent gave every passenger a certificate. We also got a flimsy Amtrak bag with Amtrak and Wisconsin advertising stuff.

Service is expected - so far. Internet, which is supposed to be available, is poor. The cafe is still closed. The announcement claimed technical difficulties.

At least the conductor recognized that this is a long-time in coming service!

Business, It was full from Chicago to Milwaukee. There are six empty seats out of Milwaukee.
The cafe opened just after my previous post.

New crew boarded in Milwaukee.
Thanks for sharing. Did you have any trouble getting your complimentary beverage? I'm curious about what their Old Fashioneds will be like.
If you took any pictures please post.

I'm still curious about the equipment rotation. I can't see why they'd need a third Hiawatha set if the plan is to simply detach the Borealis from Hiawatha in Milwaukee going north and join it to a Hiawatha in Milwaukee going south.

Empire Builder changes crews in Winona and St Cloud, as opposed to Milwaukee and St Paul. I suppose that will remain the same ?
Kind of hard to change crews in a city that you don't serve (or a really long deadhead run). I'm guessing they will switch to St. Paul for Winona though, but I'm sure somebody here knows what they actually will do....

So any more first day trip reports???

1333 arrived MSP in a PUSH-PULL configuration
Scheduled arrival 6:29 pm - estimated 7:03 pm
Arrived 34 minutes LATE
GPS reading (Track-A-Train) went dark at Hastings MN
MN HY cam Highwood & 61 visual push-pull at 6:54 pm

QUESTIONS ? ? ?
Since 1333 arrived as a PUSH-PULL configuration - WHY ?
1340 tomorrow still needs to be wyed -
Business class at front of train - coach seating reversed

1340 isn't doing as well
Left MSP on time 11:50 am
Arrived CHI 48 minutes LATE 8:02 pm

I am currently on # 1333 from Chicago. There are a number of rail fans on board.
That's really cool! I expect that there will be railfans and train enthusiasts along the next few starting journeys. I would have loved to listen in on the different conversations that happened.

There were also a number of photographers at various points along the track in Chicago and suburbs.
Very expected. That's really cool that a lot of railfans and photographers went trackside. From what I recall, this is the first time this route has seen the new phase 7 P42s (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
The on-board customer service agent gave every passenger a certificate. We also got a flimsy Amtrak bag with Amtrak and Wisconsin advertising stuff.
I'm a sucker for free stuff. I would definitely keep the certificate as a momento. I'm sure the other routes following would not receive that. Very unique!

I'm most interested in how any rush hour commuters from Milwaukee felt about the late arriving train to Chicago, as well as what passenger loads looked (or will look) like and whether there becomes any capacity issues on that train run.

Back