Amtrak Suspending Service East of NYC Friday, 2/8/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang. That dog is thinking, "I gotta go out!" Via Boing Boing.

BCryRrxCEAEr-Kp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The storm started here in the Maritimes early yesterday morning. VIAs eastbound Ocean was ontime in Moncton but had some switching problems getting out of there. It did manage to make up most of lost time before arriving into Halifax last evening. Todays westbound Ocean departed ontime.

We have about 40cm (16") down and high winds. I've got beer in the fridge, there's hockey on TV and the neighbour just came over to play in my driveway with his all-wheel drive and plow......so it's been a relaxing weekend!

This is the first big storm in a couple of years.....and we're getting rain on Tuesday!

UPDATE: Amtrak to Offer Modified New York - Boston Service on Monday, Feb. 11
by Amtrak on Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 7:32pm ET ·
On Monday, Feb. 11, Amtrak will offer expanded, but still limited, service on the Northeast Corridor between New York and Boston, including the addition of Acela Express service. In addition, the Springfield Shuttleservice (New Haven, Conn. - Springfield, Mass.) will operate limited service.

Service on the <em><em><em>Downeaster</em></em></em> (Brunswick, Maine - Boston), Empire Service (New York - Albany, N.Y.) andVermonter (St. Albans, Vt. - Washington, D.C.) will operate as scheduled.

Amtrak crews continue to clear track of deep snow, remove downed trees and make necessary repairs to restore full train service in the Northeast following the severe winter storm.

To avoid the possibility of long lines at ticket offices and sold-out trains, passengers should make reservations in advance through Amtrak.com, the Amtrak app or by calling 800-USA-RAIL.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visitAmtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

Hey! You saying we're full of hot air down here? Or were you speaking of further south like VA & FL? :giggle:
I think he might be alluding to that small Federal enclave which sits on Virginia's right-hand shoulder. I've heard it said that it emits lots of hot air. I guess there must be an industry there which composts a lot of something! :huh:

Hey! You saying we're full of hot air down here? Or were you speaking of further south like VA & FL? :giggle:
I think he might be alluding to that small Federal enclave which sits on Virginia's right-hand shoulder. I've heard it said that it emits lots of hot air. I guess there must be an industry there which composts a lot of something! :huh:
Or not much at all except hot air!

Here, the public schools are closed today, why, I don't know. Maybe freezing rain in the wee hours in SE Michigan but it's 41 now. Anyway, brace yourselves in the East, the Weather channel people were getting excited this morning about another system developing.

Many schools are closed here in RI today, even though it's around 40 degrees. It is not a direct result of snow right now, but because those schools lost power, and are still without power, from the blizzard!

And, meanwhile, the morning weatherperson out of Spokane was whining about how "cold" it was this morning. Why, it was sooooo cold, cars had frost on them!!! Oooohhhhh nooooooo! :eek: . Frost! On February 11th! At the 47th degree of latitude! :eek: . Ohhhh, the humanity!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I also remember years back when I was in school :eek: in upstate NYS, they cancelled school the night before because an ice storm was predicted the next day. So I slept in.

When I woke up about 9 am, it was 70 degrees! :eek: But within a few hours, the temperature dropped to the teens, and we had a major ice storm! I'm glad they closed the schools the night before!

Many schools are closed here in RI today, even though it's around 40 degrees. It is not a direct result of snow right now, but because those schools lost power, and are still without power, from the blizzard!
Nope. Most places up by me in RI got power back last night. The problem is that streets still aren't plowed and there are still parking bans.

It is still a total disaster in the city of Providence. They just lifted the parking ban at noon, but I drove H to the PVD station this morning and it was a disaster on the roads.

Words of Wisdom: Go South and West! (But Please don't Move to Austin! :giggle: ) Jobs, Low Taxes and Warm Temps in the Winter! Sun Screen is still a Big Seller Year 'round in Florida, Texas and SoCal!! Shovels are used to Work on the Roads and Yards, not for Snow! :p

Paint me puzzled by the most recent service alert.

What does expanded but still limited service mean? Delays should be expected? Trains that appear as running with seats to purchase may or may not leave on time or at all?

Someone who speaks 'Amtrak' would be helpful translator here, please! :)

Leaving on Wednesday to NYC for a conference and then a cruise and not sure what to think or do about any of this!

Much thanks!
- Jackie

UPDATE: Amtrak to Offer Modified New York - Boston Service on Monday, Feb. 11

Sunday, Feb. 10 7:00 p.m. ET

On Monday, Feb. 11, Amtrak will offer expanded, but still limited, service on the Northeast Corridor between New York and Boston, including the addition of Acela Express service. In addition, the Springfield Shuttle service (New Haven, Conn. - Springfield, Mass.) will operate limited service.

Service on the Downeaster (Brunswick, Maine - Boston), Empire Service (New York - Albany, N.Y.) and Vermonter (St. Albans, Vt. - Washington, D.C.) will operate as scheduled.

Amtrak crews continue to clear track of deep snow, remove downed trees and make necessary repairs to restore full train service in the Northeast following the severe winter storm.

To avoid the possibility of long lines at ticket offices and sold-out trains, passengers should make reservations in advance through Amtrak.com, the Amtrak app or by calling 800-USA-RAIL begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800-USA-RAIL FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.
To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.
Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800-USA-RAIL FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

And, meanwhile, the morning weatherperson out of Spokane was whining about how "cold" it was this morning. Why, it was sooooo cold, cars had frost on them!!! Oooohhhhh nooooooo! :eek: . Frost! On February 11th! At the 47th degree of latitude! :eek: . Ohhhh, the humanity!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Our weatherperson in Orlando was reporting this morning that we will be getting a cold front this weekend. I think it will get down to the high 40's.

I hope everyone remains safe in New England and that the roads are cleared soon and will be safe for motorist.

Our weatherperson in Orlando was reporting this morning that we will be getting a cold front this weekend. I think it will get down to the high 40's!
That means Penny wore 7 layers, including 3 pair of gloves! :giggle:

FINAL UPDATE: Amtrak to Resume Normal New York - Boston Service on Tuesday, Feb. 12
by Amtrak on Monday, February 11, 2013 at 3:34pm ET ·
February 11, 2013 3pm ET

On Tuesday, Feb. 12, Amtrak will resume normal operations on the Northeast Corridor between New York and Boston, including the resumption of full Acela Express, Northeast Regional and Springfield Shuttle service following this weekend’s severe winter storm.

Amtrak crews have been working around the clock to clear affected track of large amounts of snow, in excess of several feet in some cases. In addition, crews have removed downed trees and made all necessary repairs to allow for full restoration of service.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

I think at the Gathering we may need to have a snow addiction intervention with Alan.
*unfolds letter* Alan..we know you are addicted to trains and that is fine, but your addiction to snow is...well..addicting, and umm stuff and things *folds up letter* :p

Seriously though, if you do get snow, let us know how much you get and how much you love it :D
I think you will have to add me to that intervention, I live for snow. I love it. It makes everything beautiful and clean, even if only for the time it is falling. Snow is wonderful, pure and the sound during a snow storm is like no other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back