Amtrak Suspending Service East of NYC Friday, 2/8/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of crews are here, but all they can do right now is sit and wait.
That's not true at all! :eek:

They could go snowmobiling or sleigh riding or tobogganing or skiing. :lol:
No they can't even do that, because the Governor decreed that all the roads in the state are closed to non-essential travel! And I don't think tobogganing or skiing qualifies! :giggle: (Except for crazies from NYC! :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of crews are here, but all they can do right now is sit and wait.
That's not true at all! :eek:

They could go snowmobiling or sleigh riding or tobogganing or skiing. :lol:
No they can't even do that, because the Governor decreed that all the roads in the state are closed to non-essential travel! And I don't think tobogganing or skiing qualifies! :giggle: (Except for crazies from NYC! :p )
Most normal people don't ski or toboggan down a highway.

ixds0l.jpg

This is the giant mound of snow next to my garage. We spent at least four hours shoveling today.

This is what the plow left behind in front of our driveway that we had to shovel through.

oqhzsh.jpg

[img=[URL="http://i45.tinypic.com/ixds0l.jpg%5D"]http://i45.tinypic.com/ixds0l.jpg][/URL]This is the giant mound of snow next to my garage. We spent at least four hours shoveling today.

This is what the plow left behind in front of our driveway that we had to shovel through.

[img=[URL="http://i47.tinypic.com/oqhzsh.jpg%5D"]http://i47.tinypic.com/oqhzsh.jpg][/URL]
WOW!! That is a lot of snow. Do you have power? Stay safe and warm.

Thats one reason Im glad I dont get snow.

When it comes to doing things that shouldn't be done on highways during snow storms, Im sure Dave and Alan are about equal. :p

I hope all of those who lost power get it back asap, especially for heating purposes.

amamba, I guess you can say you have a mound of snow pics, I wonder if those mounds get drifty. *lame snow jokes, sorry*

Hope the power is restored for everyone. Be safe and warm.

If we get three flakes here, everything shuts down! I hate even getting three flakes, although snow is beautiful. (I can look at pictures!)

Mrs. Crockett and I just returned from a day trip WAS-PHL r/t on the NEC. Aside from the snow on the roofs of the southbound pax cars on the Regionals, the only signs of the storm to the north were the strong, icy winds and the very slight dusting in Philly, which was just enough to produce some slick spots on the sidewalks. Our trains, 2250 & 2253, were both on time... until the very end, when just north of Ivy City we had an alarm go off and the conductors had the pleasure of going out into the cold to walk the train, which delayed us 10 minutes getting into WAS.

I hope everyone who got hit with the real deal are safe and warm AND ARE NOT OVERDOING IT with the snow removal :excl: It will still be there tomorrow! And the day after, and the.... ;)

UPDATE: Amtrak to Restore Limited New York - Boston Service on Sunday, Feb. 10
by Amtrak on Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 8:11pm ET ·
Saturday, Feb. 10, 2013 6:45 pm ET

On Sunday, Feb. 10, Amtrak will restore limited service between New York and Boston. In addition, Empire Service (New York - Albany) will operate a normal Sunday schedule.

All Springfield Shuttle service (New Haven, Conn. - Springfield, Mass.) remains canceled and Downeaster service (Brunswick, Maine - Boston) is to be determined.

Amtrak crews continue to clear track of deep snow, remove downed trees and make necesssary repairs to restore full train service in the Northeast following the severe winter storm.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visitAmtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

Mrs. Crockett and I just returned from a day trip WAS-PHL r/t on the NEC. Aside from the snow on the roofs of the southbound pajx cars on the Regionals, the only signs of the storm to the north were the strong, icy winds and the very slight dusting in Philly, which was just enough to produce some slick spots on the sidewalks. Our trains, 2250 & 2253, were both on time... until the very end, when just north of Ivy City we had an alarm go off and the conductors had the pleasure of going out into the cold to walk the train, which delayed us 10 minutes getting into WAS.I hope everyone who got hit with the real deal are safe and warm AND ARE NOT OVERDOING IT with the snow removal :excl: It will still be there tomorrow! And the day after, and the.... ;)
Though they have a lot of snow to shovel, hopefully it's the light fluffy snow and not the heavy snow we generally get here in the mid-atlantic.

Hey! You saying we're full of hot air down here? Or were you speaking of further south like VA & FL? :giggle:

I know all about those "heart attack" snows too. Where I live, in SE Washington, heavy snowfalls are uncommon, and when it does snow, it is almost always warm enough that the snow is wet and heavy almost all the time. I echo others' sentiments: take it easy and stay safe!

We were initially expecting 1-3" where I am but they downgraded that last night before I went to bed. Woke up this morning to dry pavement. No, I wasn't on the drive pavement when I woke up. I looked out my window to see it. (Knowing some of the guys here, I figured I'd better clarify that.) :D

Mrs. Crockett and I just returned from a day trip WAS-PHL r/t on the NEC. Aside from the snow on the roofs of the southbound pajx cars on the Regionals, the only signs of the storm to the north were the strong, icy winds and the very slight dusting in Philly, which was just enough to produce some slick spots on the sidewalks. Our trains, 2250 & 2253, were both on time... until the very end, when just north of Ivy City we had an alarm go off and the conductors had the pleasure of going out into the cold to walk the train, which delayed us 10 minutes getting into WAS.I hope everyone who got hit with the real deal are safe and warm AND ARE NOT OVERDOING IT with the snow removal :excl: It will still be there tomorrow! And the day after, and the.... ;)
We are required to remove snow from the sidewalk within 8 hours after the snow stops. Plus we had to get the car out.

Boston.com says some limited NYP-BOS service will resume tomorrow. I have my doubts, especially since the reservation system shows nothing and Metro-North isn't open between STM and NHV.

Though they have a lot of snow to shovel, hopefully it's the light fluffy snow and not the heavy snow we generally get here in the mid-atlantic.
I can't speak for points further north, but here in NYC I can assure you that it wasn't all light & fluffy. The top layers were, but the bottom stuff wasn't. It made moving the foot of snow harder!

There are three Regionals running in each direction between NYP and BOS starting in the afternoon today (Sunday the 10th). All three to BOS are sold out. The three in the opposite direction still have some high bucket and BC availability as of 5:45am today.

Sorry to hear there's wet heavy snow involved. That is not fun to shovel even if it were only a few inches, not feet.

Hope you guys don't get any heavy rain this week.

Amtrak to Restore Limited New York - Boston Service on Sunday, Feb. 10
by Amtrak on Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 11:23am ET·
On Sunday, Feb. 10, Amtrak will restore limited service between New York and Boston. In addition, Empire Service (New York - Albany) will operate a normal Sunday schedule.

The Downeaster service (Brunswick, Maine - Boston) has resumed service with some modifications.

All Springfield Shuttle service (New Haven, Conn. - Springfield, Mass.) remains canceled.

Amtrak crews continue to clear track of deep snow, remove downed trees and make necessary repairs to restore full train service in the Northeast following the severe winter storm.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visitAmtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back