Amtrak Suspending Service East of NYC Friday, 2/8/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The snow in New Jersey is a heavy, wet snow. Great for Snowballs!!

Too bad Penny is in Florida!!

Stay safe, those of you in the Northeast! And hope your weather prognosticators are as accurate as ours: the weekend before last and into last week we were supposed to get a total of 17 inches of snow. They overestimated it by about 16 1/2 inches. :rolleyes:
:eek: :eek:

Bite your tongue, please! :eek:

I'm hoping that they're wrong by at least 12 inches in the other direction on their predictions. They're only forecasting maybe 12 inches for NYC. Anything less than 2 feet is still a flurry as far as I'm concerned. We need more snow; not less!

Alan, do you live in an apartment/condo where as you don't have to shovel a driveway? And, of course, you probably walk, on sidewalks shoveled by other people, to mass transit stops.

In my younger days I didn't mind a lot of snow (which is rare here in DE) but I'm happy we're only expecting 1-3 inches tonight.

Betty,

I do live in an apartment, a 3 story building. But I do have to shovel out the driveway where I park my car. And often times I've even shoveled the stairs if the guys that the owner hired haven't done it by time I go out to work on my car.

I've also been known to shovel in other places too. Where I live, the cross street is a divided street with a center island. This creates a situation where you leave the shoveled sidewalk in front of my building, walk through the plowed street, and then have to climb up the snowbank in that center island area to reach the other half of the street. For really big storms, I've been known to shovel paths through that.

While I am "suffering" through temperatures in the 70's today, I wish all my friends in the northeast and New England a safe weekend.
Me too Penny. It was in the 70's today in the Houston area. But they get even in July and August. lol.

Back when the New Haven and the Pennsy ran everything, they would never have even thought about cancelling all those trains.

The snow in New Jersey is a heavy, wet snow. Great for Snowballs!!Too bad Penny is in Florida!!
I am very happy I am in Florida now. I think I got my fill of snowballs last month in Maine. I am watching the news right now and things look awful in RI and MA. Everyone, please take care and stay indoors.

Alan, I tell people that I hate snow and hate people who like it. :lol: In your case, I'm willing to make an exception. ;) :p :D . As far as I'm concerned the very faint dusting we got here overnight which was lighter than 90% of the frosts we get and which was gone by midmorning was too much snow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan,
Then I guess you are crazy for wanting all that snow. :giggle:
I just love snow! :)

But for the crazies on the road, I'd love driving in snow. I love walking in snow. I love skiing in and on snow. And I don't even really mind shoveling it either.

I think at the Gathering we may need to have a snow addiction intervention with Alan.

*unfolds letter* Alan..we know you are addicted to trains and that is fine, but your addiction to snow is...well..addicting, and umm stuff and things *folds up letter* :p

Seriously though, if you do get snow, let us know how much you get and how much you love it :D

Current conditions in southern RI at midnight is over 12 inches of snow, 60-90 MPH wind gusts and over 170,000 in RI alone ith out power! But luckily I have not lost power.

And the storm is only 1/2 over! :eek:

UPDATE: WINTER STORM CONTINUES TO IMPACT AMTRAK OPERATIONS

by Amtrak on Friday, February 8, 2013 at 12:18am ET ·
Updated departures for limited service operating North of New York on Saturday

Friday, Feb. 8, 2013 11 p.m. ET

As weather conditions deteriorate along the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak continues to adjust service in order to best accommodate passengers with travel plans in and around New England this weekend. Due to high winds and heavy snowfall, Amtrak is reducing service between New York and Boston.

There will be no Acela Express service between New York and Boston on Saturday, Feb. 9. Acela Express service between New York and Washington will operate as scheduled.

Southbound Northeast Regional service out of Boston South Station will operate a limited schedule starting with the 11:40am departure of train # 163.

Northbound Northeast Regional service out of New York Penn Station will operate a limited schedule starting with the 3:00pm departure of train # 88. The Vermonter train # 54 will operate out of New York Penn Station to Springfield, Mass., starting with the 11:30am departure.

In addition, the following service adjustments have been made for Saturday:
- Most Springfield Shuttle service (New Haven, Conn. - Springfield, Mass.) is canceled
- Vermonter service will not operate between Springfield, Mass. & St. Albans, Vt.
- Lake Shore Limited train # 449 will not operate between Boston & Albany, N.Y.
- Empire Service will operate on a reduced schedule between Albany, N.Y. & New YorkPenn Station

A determination about service on the Downeaster (Brunswick, Maine - Boston) will be updated later and passengers notified.

Northeast Regional and Acela Express service south of New York, as well as Keystone Service are not affected at this time.

Amtrak crews continue to monitor the progress of this major winter storm and are working to restore full service as quickly as possible.

Information about Sunday service will be made available tomorrow.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visitAmtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

UPDATE: Amtrak Cancels New York – Boston Service for Saturday, Feb. 9
by Amtrak on Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 10:31am ·
Crews continue to clear tracks of snow and downed trees from winter storm; Trains operating New York - Washington

Saturday, Feb,. 9 10:25 am ET

Amtrak is canceling all service between New York and Boston for Saturday, Feb. 9. In addition, Springfield Shuttle service (New Haven, Conn. - Springfield, Mass.) is canceled today. Downeaster service (Brunswick, Maine - Boston) is to be determined.

Amtrak crews have been working through the night and this morning continue to clear track of snow and downed trees as well as making necessary repairs to restore train operations following the severe winter storm that impacted the Northeast. Also, ridership counts are low as road conditions make travel to stations difficult.

Amtrak is operating Northeast Corridor services between New York and Washington, Empire Service between New York and Albany and Keystone Service between New York, Philadelphia and Harrisburg. Passengers should check Amtrak.com or call 800- USA-RAIL for additional information.

Information about Amtrak service for Sunday, Feb. 10 will be made available later today.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visitAmtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

The storms over in southern RI. Luckily I never lost power. I guesstimate I got at least 2 feet of snow, although with the drifts it's hard to tell.

My neighbor has an evergreen (Christmas tree type) about 15 feet high. Due to the weight of the snow, the top 1/2 is bent to the ground! :eek: As far as I can tell, it did not break off.

:cool: Glad ya'll are OK, hope everyone else in the NE is doing well and has Power restored ASAP! I know that Alan is enjoying Shoveling Peoples Drives and Walkways which sounds like one of his Hobbies! :giggle:

Guesss the Acela Dog Sleds (Alternate Transportation!) will be Blowing through KIN @ 20 MPH! :lol:

I doubt power will be restored to all soon. Last I heard, over 500,000 were without power in RI and MA alone. And that's not counting any other states! And repairs can't begin until the winds die down. Plenty of crews are here, but all they can do right now is sit and wait.

I know that Alan is enjoying Shoveling Peoples Drives and Walkways which sounds like one of his Hobbies! :giggle:
Other people's driveways; NO! Not unless they're paying me.

My own driveway; yes. Occasionally the sidewalk in front of my building if the handyman doesn't get to it quick enough. And as I mentioned earlier, I sometimes shovel paths where people do have to walk, yet no one is actually responsible for shoveling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back