Amtrak Mastercard on Chase site seemed to disappear.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the number of breaches, yes, lucky is the right word for it.
Sigh...

Just got a text from Chase about my AGR MC.

Seems someone charged something on my card ... in Canada. Since I live near Chicago, that's highly unlikely. I've had lost cards used in the past, but nothing like this.

New cards coming...
In my experience, Chase has been very proactive regarding fraudulent use. Once with my AGR MasterCard and once with my debit card. Both times, the cards were in my wallet. With the AGR credit card, I received an email asking me to verify or deny a pending purchase. The account was closed and a new card sent. With the debit card, someone made a purchase at a location less than 20 miles from me. That notification was by telephone. The money was replaced pending outcome of an investigation.

BTW, Chase will not tell you what triggered the "red flag".
I agree, I've received (simultaneously) a text, and IM, and a phone call from Chase regarding suspected fraudulent use of my CC and debit card.

I've had fraud issues from all of my credit card issuers - Barclay's seems to have been the most common but it's hit all of them especially over the last couple of years.

BTW, Chase will not tell you what triggered the "red flag".
Just a couple weeks ago, I had an unauthorized use of my Chase Sapphire Preferred card, and the Chase fraud department did tell me exactly what triggered the "red flag": someone tried to subscribe to Spotify using the my card number, but didn't have the correct expiration date.

(Yes, they sent me a new card with a new number -- but the same expiration date, since they knew the fraudster didn't have that. :) )

Chase has told me what/where the attempted fraud was the three times I've been hacked ony AGR MC! ( S.Cal, Brazil and India)

My Chase Freedom Card hadn't had this happen! ( fingers crossed)

I was sent new Cards with New Numbers rapidly, but always with the same expiration date! ( 5/15)

I just had a bad experience with Chase fraud department. They called and told me the transaction that was fraud. I agreed and they issued new cards. However, I got a letter and it was a transaction that was OK. So I called and they told me they do not know anything about this other transaction and the transaction that was stated was what I told them was fraud.

Can we PLEASE stop all the credit card chit chat. If someone has new news about anew AGR credit card through Chase or any other bank, by all means post it. The endless stories about credit card fraud are not helpful.

You must not realuze how important Credit Cards are to travelers, especially CHASE Cards and how fraud is becoming an epidemic in this Country due to the 20 th Century technology were still using compared to the rest of the civilized world!

I'd like to see More info, YMMV!!!

To JayPea....the listed topic is Chase's decision to discontinue offering AGR MC. The topic is NOT problems people have with credit card security. I open this topic with expectations the info is relevant to posted topic. Site administration should migrate cried card security to new and separate topic,

To jimhudson...I do realize how important a secure credit card system....I've had many cards over the years and never had the multiple security problems people describe here. While there are systems issues that affect banks and credit cards companies like Visa, the cardholder needs to exercise a reasonable degree of discretion

To jtoddander: thanks for the info that I didn't know, since I've only traveled all over the world and this country for the last 60+ years and used many brands and types of credit cards. I am very careful with my credit cards and valueables and have never had a problem of this type internationally, only in this country!

Its only been in the past few years that hacking has become a serious world wide problem with the US being the hackers major target since this is where the money is and our computer security is third or fourth world worthy!

I'll repeat that, IMO, this topic is interesting and useful to all travelers. This is AU, not trainorders! If this topic is of no interest to you, don't click on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
To JayPea....the listed topic is Chase's decision to discontinue offering AGR MC. The topic is NOT problems people have with credit card security. I open this topic with expectations the info is relevant to posted topic. Site administration should migrate cried card security to new and separate topic,
The topic is also not "What jtoddander wants to read in this thread" - if you've got a problem with it speak with the staff directly and stop crudding up the thread with your whining.

I'm sorry that we've wasted literally dozens of seconds on irrelevant information.

To jimhudson...I do realize how important a secure credit card system....I've had many cards over the years and never had the multiple security problems people describe here. While there are systems issues that affect banks and credit cards companies like Visa, the cardholder needs to exercise a reasonable degree of discretion
I thought that this was off-topic? Some guy using the same name as you said it was.

What "reasonable degree of discretion" do you suggest to avoid breaches like the Home Depot, Target, etc, etc, etc.... Cash?

What reasonable discretion are you talking about? How do you know that others like Jim are not exercising it and still having problems? One single data point does not make for generalization of the sort you seem to be implying.

Since when did you become a moderator? I notice that you are rather new here. Perhaps you should first spend some time getting a feel for the general tradition of this board before starting to lecture everyone about what the moderators should do? A little humility goes a long way in winning friends you know?

There is always the option to ignore the posts that you find not helpful, but apparently many others find pretty helpful, no?

I notice that you are rather new here. Perhaps you should first spend some time getting a feel for the general tradition of this board before starting to lecture everyone about what the moderators should do?
Patience, patience. Our new friend must not realize yet that the only lecturing that is permitted on AU is the lecturing that AU veterans traditionally give to newcomers who dare to question the status quo.

And evidently those lecturing about lecturing about lecturing too :p
rotfl.gif

*sighs*

There's something meta about going off topic on a thread being off topic.

There's no harm in the chatter that's been going on here, but let's try not to have the thread devolve into arguing over whether it's off-topic or not.

Chase has told me what/where the attempted fraud was the three times I've been hacked ony AGR MC! ( S.Cal, Brazil and India)

My Chase Freedom Card hadn't had this happen! ( fingers crossed)

I was sent new Cards with New Numbers rapidly, but always with the same expiration date! ( 5/15)
The interesting thing is that I have not had any fraudulent use of the cards that I have actually used in unsafe countries, e.g. my Amex Platinum and my Chase United Presidential Plus, both of which has free forex conversion. The only cases of fraudulent use have been on cards that were used only in the US!

Of course as they say YMMV.

The interesting thing is that I have not had any fraudulent use of the cards that I have actually used in unsafe countries, e.g. my Amex Platinum and my Chase United Presidential Plus, both of which has free forex conversion. The only cases of fraudulent use have been on cards that were used only in the US! Of course as they say YMMV.
The US is among least safe industrialized countries on Earth, whether talking about violence or fraud, so it makes sense that this is where you had issues. Forex conversions are essentially free of fees because the cost is built into the spread. The fees we typically associate with international currency conversion are implemented by the credit/debit processor on top of the spread.

It's on the AGR home page, but the link takes you to the points for shopping portal:

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.05.33 PM.png

No sign of it on the Chase site. Maybe it's out while being converted to a Visa.
What happens to my Amtrak MC when they move to Visa? Will I have to reapply for a new cridet card when that happens?
Remains to be seen what will be involved with "new" credit card, IF that's the case. I don't think any of us REALLY know what is going to happen at this point anyway. For me, I'll follow AGR even if it means a new card.

It's on the AGR home page, but the link takes you to the points for shopping portal:

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.05.33 PM.png

No sign of it on the Chase site. Maybe it's out while being converted to a Visa.
What happens to my Amtrak MC when they move to Visa? Will I have to reapply for a new cridet card when that happens?
No, you won't have to reapply. Chase will send you a new Visa version of the card, as previously happened when Chase moved other cards over to Visa.

That is of course assuming that Chase hasn't killed the AGR card for good.

Chase is huge in the loyalty credit game. In part because they were willing to outbid other banks for branded contracts and because they were willing to offer extremely lucrative terms and conditions for those who were willing to sign up for multiple cards. Chase has the most versatile family of convertible cards and an established portfolio of branded cards as well. As a result it's hard to imagine Chase would have much concern over losing or keeping Amtrak as a close partner. We're talking about a branded loyalty card that couldn't even manage to earn the underwriter a single deferred annual fee. My guess is that the AGR card failed to meet forecast metrics and Chase thusly offered a far less lucrative contract as part of the renegotiation. AGR must have balked at the terms and decided to shop around rather than renew. So long as AGR remains an active CSP participant my own needs will be met.

Back