Amtrak Mastercard on Chase site seemed to disappear.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends - the CVV guarantees that you're in possession of the card (or were at some point). Don't let anyone have your card and it's secure.
Well, and my Amtrak card has an extra "accidental" level of security: I've used it so much that (A) I have the CVV memorized and (B) it has been rubbed off over time. So it'd be pretty hard for someone who swiped my card to use it online (presuming they swiped the card itself and not data I'd entered somewhere).

It all depends - the CVV guarantees that you're in possession of the card (or were at some point). Don't let anyone have your card and it's secure.
Well, and my Amtrak card has an extra "accidental" level of security: I've used it so much that (A) I have the CVV memorized and (B) it has been rubbed off over time. So it'd be pretty hard for someone who swiped my card to use it online (presuming they swiped the card itself and not data I'd entered somewhere).
:) Me, don't have big credit limits. Have Agr and CSP. Last fraudulent charge was - 15 years ago - more or less.

Follow the NSA and big banks advice. (look it up, I could be a scamster - look at NSA security advice for citizens, look at your bank's advice)

Check Scheneier and Krebs about how scams work now.

Heads up.

Can we PLEASE stop all the credit card chit chat. If someone has new news about anew AGR credit card through Chase or any other bank, by all means post it. The endless stories about credit card fraud are not helpful.
jtoddander, welcome to AU. As a relative newcomer to this board, I find it offensive that you would come in telling us - many who have been here for nearly a decade - how to behave. As has already been mentioned, you don't have to read this thread. Pass over the stuff that you don't like and post something relevant.

But please, please don't lecture us on topic divergence then post something relative to that divergent line of thinking.

We're a pretty tolerant group here and mostly self moderated. There are times that we need help from "above," but for the most part, I think if you gently steer the converstation back to relevancy, you'll be surprised that it may just work.

Thanks for the warm welcome. But really, who is lecturing whom?

Several days before my own post, you will see that NW Cannonball also suggested that it might be appropriate to migrate some of the non AGR stuff to a separate topic. His post is from around 4/23.

People have pointed out that I might just ignore a post if I don't want to read it. True....but that is not the point from my perspective. I rely on the topic to give me an approximation of the issue being discussed. If topic suggests that thread will discuss fate of AGR MasterCard that's what I expect to find. If thread said that topic was credit card fraud and similar issues....I would never open it. I guess it is a truth in advertising thing.

The chance of future lectures by me is slight. I used to visit this site rather frequently when I joined last fall...not so much anymore. If I can't get info I look for I go elsewhere.

Thanks for the warm welcome. But really, who is lecturing whom?

Several days before my own post, you will see that NW Cannonball also suggested that it might be appropriate to migrate some of the non AGR stuff to a separate topic. His post is from around 4/23.

People have pointed out that I might just ignore a post if I don't want to read it. True....but that is not the point from my perspective. I rely on the topic to give me an approximation of the issue being discussed. If topic suggests that thread will discuss fate of AGR MasterCard that's what I expect to find. If thread said that topic was credit card fraud and similar issues....I would never open it. I guess it is a truth in advertising thing.

The chance of future lectures by me is slight. I used to visit this site rather frequently when I joined last fall...not so much anymore. If I can't get info I look for I go elsewhere.
I think they were suggesting you ignore POSTS within a thread. So just skim the posts in this thread and ignore the ones that obviously don't have the info you're looking for.

I have to agree with jtoddander. In most forums I can be found in (including some I moderate) there are rules about threads going off topic. Essentially if a thread is taken off topic, a moderator will step in & enforce the staying on topic rule. What the mods do varies; I've seen whole thread closures, the off-topic stuff split into a new thread, or the off topic posts just deleted. Come to think of it, this is the only forum I frequent that doesn't seem to have any off-topic rules & threads regularly go off topic.

peter

Feature, not a bug.

Topics are occasionally split off, or redirection happens, so it's not a totally wild west free for all.

However, the latitude given to let topics evolve organically is what drew me here many years ago after dealing with the near-tyrannical mods over at rr.net. If you're after tightly focused discussion, that site may be more to your liking. Everyone has to find the community that works best for them. This one does for me, and I'd hate to see it changed.

This site has moderators who close and merge threads and even delete postings. If I don't like a post I report it to the moderators, and let them take care of it (or not). If I didn't like the moderation policy here, I'd go to a site with a different policy (Ryan suggests one). I'd never presume to tell others what to do. Just my $.02.

Obligatory Amtrak MasterCard content: Why is Chase moving away from MasterCard? I've rarely encountered a place that took Visa and didn't take MasterCard, and Sams Club is the only place I know that takes MasterCard and not Visa. What are the differences between the two networks from the point of view of the card issuer or the merchant?

Obligatory Amtrak MasterCard content: Why is Chase moving away from MasterCard? I've rarely encountered a place that took Visa and didn't take MasterCard, and Sams Club is the only place I know that takes MasterCard and not Visa. What are the differences between the two networks from the point of view of the card issuer or the merchant?
In general, Visa pays the banks better, and Mastercard charges merchants less. Mastercard has better acceptance internationally, although Visa continues to narrow that gap.

Both companies have been aggressive in getting banks to stop issuing cards in the other's network. I'm guessing that Visa cut Chase a deal on fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, Visa pays the banks better, and Mastercard charges merchants less. Mastercard has better acceptance internationally, although Visa continues to narrow that gap.

Both companies have been aggressive in getting banks to stop issuing cards in the other's network. I'm guessing that Visa cut Chase a deal on fees.
That explains why Citibank is moving away from VISA.

Chase is not necessarily moving away from Mastercard completely. I learned this while talking to a Chase agent regarding the Presidential Plus Card from United. I was asking them for a chip card. The gentleman said that I could hold onto the Mastercard and get a chip card around July, or I could convert to a Visa card with exactly the same benefits but just a different number and get a chip card within 5 days. I asked him three times to make sure the benefits remain the same including the elite qualifying miles and he said yes. He also said that even after I receive the Visa version the Mastercard will remain active for a short period of time, and if I am not happy with the Visa I could simply revert back to the Mastercard and keep it and return the Visa. This is important because the Presidential Plus Card is grandfathered with its extraordinary benefits, and you cannot get a new one anymore. you can have one as long as you had one while a member of Continental One Plus, and have continuously had one since then.

I just finished converting every card that I have to chip, except of course the AGR which I cannot convert.

Oh and I asked about chip and PIN and was told to expect the same chip card to be converted to chip and PIN if so desired by very late this year or early next year.

He also said that the Visa version of the Presidential Plus will work with Apple Pay. I did not ask if there was any plan for the Mastercard version to work with Apple Pay anytime soon.

Consider this situation: you have have a Chase AGR card and your wife/or significant other has a companion card. You are on extended travel (let's say Amtrak), you check your Chase statement and you find a charge for Securus Phone service (this allows inmates to make phone calls on your account). Chase will deny the charge and cancel your card(s), send new cards by USPS in 5 days or expedite to your home address in 48 hours (if you are there to personally sign for them). Were you hacked because you are one of the 21 million Federal employees/retirees, shopped at Home Depot or Target in the last year, who knows. With Chase and AGR in extended discussion (now almost 6 months) you are in a situation impossible to get separate AGR cards to provide redundancy. COSTCO and AMX can seem to make an amicable separation, why not AGR and Chase? Oh, BTW, you should have a fraud alert on your credit reports.

Chase is not necessarily moving away from Mastercard completely. I learned this while talking to a Chase agent regarding the Presidential Plus Card from United. I was asking them for a chip card. The gentleman said that I could hold onto the Mastercard and get a chip card around July, or I could convert to a Visa card with exactly the same benefits but just a different number and get a chip card within 5 days. I asked him three times to make sure the benefits remain the same including the elite qualifying miles and he said yes. He also said that even after I receive the Visa version the Mastercard will remain active for a short period of time, and if I am not happy with the Visa I could simply revert back to the Mastercard and keep it and return the Visa. This is important because the Presidential Plus Card is grandfathered with its extraordinary benefits, and you cannot get a new one anymore. you can have one as long as you had one while a member of Continental One Plus, and have continuously had one since then.

I just finished converting every card that I have to chip, except of course the AGR which I cannot convert.

Oh and I asked about chip and PIN and was told to expect the same chip card to be converted to chip and PIN if so desired by very late this year or early next year.

He also said that the Visa version of the Presidential Plus will work with Apple Pay. I did not ask if there was any plan for the Mastercard version to work with Apple Pay anytime soon.
The American Airlines Aviator Mastercard (former US Airways card by Barclays) converted to chip & pin earlier this year. It was issued with the conversion from US to AA. I was surprised to get a new Chase UA Visa card a couple of weeks ago and find it is chip only with no associated pin. Kind of half a loaf.
As for the Amtrak Chase issue, I wonder if the recent increase in the cost of retail purchased AGR points is an indicator of the issue with Chase. Perhaps AGR went to Chase wanting a similar increase in what they pay for the points issued for card use. Chase may have balked and is fulfilling the remainder of its contract and AGR is looking for a new vendor. Just my speculation.

Apple Pay has been a major disappointment for me. So few merchants take it that I can't rely on it. Even when I find one that does take it, my transaction failure rate is about 50%. I've all but given up on it.

Back