Amtrak Mastercard on Chase site seemed to disappear.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is time to pay the yearly fee for the CSP card and am hoping they do not dump AGR as part of the points program.

Wife is probably going to abandon her CSP card since we usually only use mine when we travel or spend money on meals, etc. But she is hoping her Amtrak MC will remain in effect or that (as you all suggest) AGR will transfer to another bank or VISA situation.

We anxiously await a decision.. :unsure:

AGR Insider posted in Flyer Talk that there was behind the scenes stuff going on and that AGR and Chase would let us know what was going to happen when they determine what will happen!

Until then the Chase AGR Master Card will continue to be valid for AGR Points as in the past.

Basically there seem to be three options:
(1) AGR will transition to a Chase Visa after some shopping around. This is basically a side-effect of Chase transitioning to Visa (since Chase seems to be ditching Mastercard whenever it can).

(2) AGR will go with someone other than Chase. Citi, Barclays, and a number of other banks are possible issuers here. I could even see AmEx as a possibility (since they have enough odd-and-end cards as well). This does seem most likely out of these options.

(3) AGR will end up cardless. I find this somewhat unlikely, if only because notwithstanding VIA I cannot think of a major loyalty program that does not have a card.

By the way, assuming that there's no subsequent Chase card (I assume AGR can find another bank to work with in a pinch), what sort of notice would we likely expect as far as no longer getting AGR points/the card's benefits being cut? I ask because I intend to run the mother of all churns in that period if that happens, but if Chase sends me a card that doesn't earn AGR points (fee or no) I do not plan to use it (the Hyatt card is semi-useful in a subset of circumstances, but I have two other cards I'll prefer over a generic Chase card).

Just received my Renewed Chase AGR World Master Card with an expiration date of 6/18.

This doesn't mean that AGR and Chase might not come up with a new deal, type of card or a parting of the ways, but the blurb that came with it says that in addition to earning AGR points it can be used for many more wonderful things yada yada!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I got my renewed card a couple weeks ago with a 5/2018 expiration...looks like business as usual until Chase and Amtrak come to a new agreement

I have made numerous calls to both Chase and AGR. Can'y get an answer either way except one Chase rep said it could be shifted to a Visa as many of their loyalty cards are going that way. I have more points than I am currently going to use at AGR so I would rather let the points sit at Chase Sapphire Preferred till I know the relationship has an end date. I just hope they give us notice so we can transfer the points from Chase to AGR. I would hate to have to go to another bank but AGR has already been with three other banks since the programs inception back in the 90's. It's a pain to have to constantly apply for new cc so I hope they stay with Chase.

I have more points than I am currently going to use at AGR so I would rather let the points sit at Chase Sapphire Preferred till I know the relationship has an end date.
Is it possible to transfer points out of AGR to any other loyalty program?
Yes, you can transfer them to me! :giggle:
One in every crowd, isn't there?
roflct1.gif

I just transferred 100,00 CSP points to AGR. As in the past the option to transfer points from Chase to AGR can disappear without any notice.

I have more points than I am currently going to use at AGR so I would rather let the points sit at Chase Sapphire Preferred till I know the relationship has an end date.
Is it possible to transfer points out of AGR to any other loyalty program?
Possible? Yes.

Practical? No.

The conversion rates are borderline useless for all but the most unlikely fringe scenarios.

One direct transfer option is from AGR to Choice Hotels. The exchange rate is 1:3. If someone transfers 25,000 AGR points to Choice, you get 75,000 Choice points. If Choice Hotels are not your thing, Choice has a transfer arrangement with Southwest Airlines. The rate for that is 6000 Choice points for 1800 Rapid Rewards points. So, 25,000 AGR = 75,000 Choice, then 72,000 Choice = 21,600 RR. That would get a mid-range "wanna get away" one way trip.

I have made numerous calls to both Chase and AGR. Can'y get an answer either way
Why would you expect a CSR on the phone to know that which has not been decided yet?
Seriously. Speaking from experience, the CSRs on the front lines are usually the last to know about any changes, even though they're the ones getting all of the questions.

And when the CSRs get the same panicky questions over and over and go their managers to ask what they're supposed to tell callers, they get a whitewashed, "Oh... there's no news... we're waiting to hear from Corporate/Big Brother/Whatever..."

It frustrates us too; trust me. It's not that we're hiding anything; we really, honestly do not know.

Most US banks are still hesitant to switch over fully to chips. They claim they are doing it, but I have yet to see or hear of one actually switching their systems over. Part of the issue is that most small shops don't support chips, and so the banks would have to issue chip & strip cards, and then a few years later chip-only cards. Even banks aimed at intn'l travelers (ie USAA) are hesitant to switch. My bank, USAA will only give you a Chip card if you prove that your are leaving for a country that (for the most part) only accepts chips.
That doesn't jive with my experience at all. Our new USAA cards came in the mail a couple days ago and they were, by default chip+strip.

Most US banks are still hesitant to switch over fully to chips. They claim they are doing it, but I have yet to see or hear of one actually switching their systems over. Part of the issue is that most small shops don't support chips, and so the banks would have to issue chip & strip cards, and then a few years later chip-only cards. Even banks aimed at intn'l travelers (ie USAA) are hesitant to switch. My bank, USAA will only give you a Chip card if you prove that your are leaving for a country that (for the most part) only accepts chips.
That doesn't jive with my experience at all. Our new USAA cards came in the mail a couple days ago and they were, by default chip+strip.
Chase seems to be embracing the chip. Even my Freedom card now has a chip along with Sapphire Preferred.

Walmart has been the only place I have used it where it forces you to use the chip.

Now if only banks would use their collective head and provide a customer-selectable pin instead of 3 digit code and NOT have that number on the card itself as is presently done with the 3-digit code. It is amazing how stupid banks can be.
Customer-selectable CVVs would mean a preponderance of "007", "777", "123" and "666" codes in use. CVVs need to be randomly assigned.

Now if only banks would use their collective head and provide a customer-selectable pin instead of 3 digit code and NOT have that number on the card itself as is presently done with the 3-digit code. It is amazing how stupid banks can be.
Customer-selectable CVVs would mean a preponderance of "007", "777", "123" and "666" codes in use. CVVs need to be randomly assigned.
CVVs are determined by an algorithm and thus can't be customer selected.

CVVs are determined by an algorithm and thus can't be customer selected.
I don't think CVVs are smart. Four digit PINS work better. And banks (at least the ones I deal with), allow the user to set or change their own 4 digit PIN to whatever they want.

By having to put the CVV on the card, anyone who looks at the back (like all restaurants that take your card out of site then return it) can write down the CC number AND the CCV number. Is that any better than a number (be it 3 digit CCV or 4 digit PIN) that DOESN'T APPEAR ON YOUR CARD?

Back