ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forgive me if this has been asked, answered or posted else where :) but i was reading today on facebook that amtrak is testing new locomotives on the NEC that can go up to 125mph...

is that faster than the acela?

will it make the pvd to nyp trip any faster?

its just the locomotives that are new right not the passenger cars?

when will they be officially running?

forgive me if this has been asked, answered or posted else where :) but i was reading today on facebook that amtrak is testing new locomotives on the NEC that can go up to 125mph...

No. Acelas go faster than that. 125mph is the speed at which the Regionals run. These engines are meant to power the Regionals as the older engines are progressively retired.
Probably not, though technically these engines should be able to keep to a somewhat faster schedule since they are better performers than the current ones.
Correct
Definitely by the end of the year, and possibly as early as by November, if everything goes according to plans.

No. Acelas go faster than that. 125mph is the speed at which the Regionals run. These engines are meant to power the Regionals as the older engines are progressively retired.
Probably not, though technically these engines should be able to keep to a somewhat faster schedule since they are better performers than the current ones.
Correct
Definitely by the end of the year, and possibly as early as by November, if everything goes according to plans.
oh cool thank you for answering all questions :)

i LOVE my acela but was hoping for faster even newer trains hahahah :)

Wont the LD Trains have to wait for the New Baggage/Dorm Cars and Diners to be placed into Service Before the LD Trains can go 125 mph on the NEC! :help:
That won't be too much longer. The Viewliner IIs will replace all the heritage bags and diners soon.

On the other hand, aren't the Viewliner Is only rated for 110?

Wont the LD Trains have to wait for the New Baggage/Dorm Cars and Diners to be placed into Service Before the LD Trains can go 125 mph on the NEC! :help:
That won't be too much longer. The Viewliner IIs will replace all the heritage bags and diners soon.
On the other hand, aren't the Viewliner Is only rated for 110?
Yep. So the LD trains will Sleepers will take a while tog et to 125mph. But trains like the Palmetto will be able to go to 125mph as soon as they get new Viewliner Baggage cars.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jis" data-cid="463123" data-time="1377001495"><p>

CAF actually knows quite a bit about designing and building passenger cars, though it has its own collection of skeletons in its closet.</p></blockquote>

What sort of skeletons?

Your any chance of seeing a train in the US that goes faster than Acela is only when the California High Speed Rail starts operating, which will be in the year 2021.. or 2025.. or 2040.. or never.

or never.
LOL! That goes for the rest of HSR... :lol: I'm 21 and pretty sure that I'll be long dead when trains hit anything over 160MPH. Which hopefully AE is able to start running. But a train going 220MPH.. I'm pretty sure I won't see that in my lifetime.

CAF actually knows quite a bit about designing and building passenger cars, though it has its own collection of skeletons in its closet.
What sort of skeletons?
Each equipment manufacturer has one or two sad tales of missed delivery deadlines or systemic failures that they had to fix after delivery. It is only in that sense I said that. AFAIK CAF does not have anything as spectacular as Breda in their closet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breada.. Ask Boston's MBTA about their severely screwed up Type 8 Street Cars.

Hyundai Rotem.. Won the bid for Septa and MBTA commuter cars. Septa received their last SL V 4 to 5 years behind schedule and MBTA is just getting their cars 5 years behind schedule. Here's the best part.. Septa hasn't ruled out Rotem for the SL VI contract. But if Rotem is selected for the SL VI contract, Septa will be under some serious fire very quickly, The SL V contract was supposed to goto Kawasaki but was ultimately taken away and put back up. That caused a fire storm here in Philly.

Kawasaki is very good, at least with transit cars. I see no reason to not at least look at ther bid for Amfleet I & 2 replacements, when it gets announced anyway.

Yes Kawasaki subway cars in NY are hitting more and more spectacular MDBF numbers. They just keep going and going and going without failures or problems. NYCTA is quite delighted with them is what I hear.
Philadelphia's Kawasaki trolleys are now over thirty years old. By all accounts, the "K Cars" are great vehicles and still going strong.

I can vouch for Kawasaki and their strength for reliability and low maintenance. I love my two-wheeled Kawi a whole hell of a lot (though I'm sure the train variety Kawasaki is not quite as thrilling, even for a train fan!) :giggle:

Where's Piotr?? Let's ask him what they're like to run?
I think he last said he was hustling in the yard. :giggle:

Aloha
Well he always hustles. ;)

Yes Kawasaki subway cars in NY are hitting more and more spectacular MDBF numbers. They just keep going and going and going without failures or problems. NYCTA is quite delighted with them is what I hear.
Philadelphia's Kawasaki trolleys are now over thirty years old. By all accounts, the "K Cars" are great vehicles and still going strong.
Those K cars are amazing as far as how much they can handle and perform. I hope they last for another 30! Love riding those K Cars!

With the ACS-64 thread drifting off into Viewliner IIs and train car builders, clearly we need videos of the test ACS-64 pulling a set of Amfleets at speed on the NEC to keep the foamers attention. ;)

Maybe before the end of this year, Amtrak will do test runs of the ACS-64 pulling a long set of Viewliner IIs and Amfleet cars at 125 mph on the NEC. A video of that will get some views.

I doubt that Amtrak will receive that many VL II's by the end of the year.

Come to think of it, what is the best way to introduce the ACS-64? Could a run from NYP-PHL on the Pennsylvanian be a good way to start? Or a Keystoner? Or could it be run on a NER between WAS-NYP and a AEM-7 or HHP be a protect in case something happens?

Let the theories fly!! :)

Come to think of it, what is the best way to introduce the ACS-64? Could a run from NYP-PHL on the Pennsylvanian be a good way to start? Or a Keystoner? Or could it be run on a NER between WAS-NYP and a AEM-7 or HHP be a protect in case something happens?

Chicago to Detroit. Oh wait, we need catenaries first :(

peter

Chicago to Detroit. Oh wait, we need catenaries first :(

peter
lol

More word has it that 602 is up in the NY area for testing on the Hell Gate Line. Came up thursday night and should stay at least through today, or even the rest of the weekend.

Back