ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The horn in the first video sure doesn't sound like any K5LA (in good repair) I've ever heard, but in the second video - the cab ride - it sounds typical. Same locomotive, right? The difference is so dramatic that it hardly seems to be the result of changed perspective.

It may be due to a noise cancellation system. Basically a speaker plays the inverse of the sound it's trying to cancel. It might be off a bit giving the horn a different sound inside.

Peter

I agree Whooz. It does sound different outside then in.
That's no surprise. But as I said, the difference is greater than might be expected just from the difference between inside and outside. Maybe that noise-cancelling thing is what makes it sound like the amplification of a diseased goat from the ground.

EDIT: It also sounds (from outside) like some lame-oh light rail buzzer, which is pretty much the same as an amplified diseased goat. Really, really bad sound. If any noise-cancelling gizmo is responsible, it oughta be removed for revenue service. As it is the new juice hog doesn't sound anything like a real (non-transit) train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Word on the street of internet train talk is that the 602 in Wilmington has left and is headed for a rountrip to Newark, NJ. I'm getting this second hand, but if anyone is near and wants to see Amtrak's hope, pride and joy for the moment, start off now and please post your pics!

Edit/update: another poster announces that it just passed Hamilton, NJ.

RR.net has the initial report at 8:22PM, then the Hamilton sighting at 9:33 (my favorite number, but anyway), an hour and eleven minutes between Wilmington departure and Hamilton fly by either makes this one really, really high speed, or, there are two ACS-64's on the Corridor. The one that went through Albany. Either that or one of the posters was off on the Wilmington departure.

Yes that's true, as Boston would be a logical point to send it to, so as to test the wires, signals, and track up there, spread the butter around a little. Then again, if they are testing for magnetic fields and electonic interference, having two going in opposite directions would be optimal, no? I remember this was one of the many heartaches the HHP8's gave to Amtrak, and now once bitten twice shy doesn't want another chance with that.

This was posted in another thread:

I also found two new videos apparently from someone who has access at Pueblo.

To be honest, 3/4 of a mile for 0-125 is completely unrealistic for this kind of scenario. I ran a simulation with the ACS-64 I'm currently developing for OpenBVE with 8 cars (weights made as realistic as possible; locomotive at 98t, and 8 loaded coaches at 52t each). The acceleration curve was generated to mimic the tractive effort curve (starting TE, then continuous TE at 55mph). On maximum throttle at those specs, it takes about 3 minutes (and 3.5 miles) to accelerate from a stop to 125 mph. So I wouldn't put too much stalk in those rumors of 3/4 of a mile.

Speaking to the video, if you watch in HD, you can see in the tractive effort monitor, the throttle is set to commanding around 65 klbs of TE, which is about 90.2% of maximum spec'd TE (65/72 klbs)

Two videos (credits to the uploaders in the videos) from tonight's test run:

Why have a P-42 in tow for the testing? I assume its in case it breaks down but wouldn't a AEM-7 or HHP-8 work just as good, not to mention are speed rated higher than the P-42 to allow for testing above 110mph.

"climate testing"? :huh: I don't see how to do "climate testing" in the Northeast in the summer.

Why have a P-42 in tow for the testing? I assume its in case it breaks down but wouldn't a AEM-7 or HHP-8 work just as good, not to mention are speed rated higher than the P-42 to allow for testing above 110mph.
You use a P-42 in case the ACS somehow damages the catenary. Don't forget this is just the initial testing, they're probably checking out some stuff to see how it does under its own power before they start to get into the heavy duty testing with long train sets and high speeds.

You use a P-42 in case the ACS somehow damages the catenary. Don't forget this is just the initial testing, they're probably checking out some stuff to see how it does under its own power before they start to get into the heavy duty testing with long train sets and high speeds.
Thanks that makes sense

A brand-new, quick video - from late last night in Morrisville, PA, footage of Amtrak's brand new ACS 64 "Cities Sprinter" engine testing on the Northeast Corridor in the dark of night - enjoy!!

Climate testing is indeed why it is at Hornell. They will be using the indoor climate testing facility at Alstom's Hornell plant.
Ah. They are testing indoor climates. Hmmm? ;-)

Actually, seriously, I'd like to know what an "indoor climate testing facility" can do. I suppose it's a big sealed room with heaters, air conditioners, and something to pump moisture into the air?

Climate testing is indeed why it is at Hornell. They will be using the indoor climate testing facility at Alstom's Hornell plant.
Ah. They are testing indoor climates. Hmmm? ;-)

Actually, seriously, I'd like to know what an "indoor climate testing facility" can do. I suppose it's a big sealed room with heaters, air conditioners, and something to pump moisture into the air?
Yep. I really like the simulated rain showers. They look pretty impressive!

here are some videos of loco 602 actually coming to a stop and starting up again on its own power (harder to find due to the poor choice of title):

Back