A New AU??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It worked! :) Thank you Charlie! :hi:

And for all others, whenever you download from iTunes, first go thru the AGR portal, download to your computer then download to your device. This extra step will earn you 4/$ AGR points! :excl:
Good reminder. I didn't realize I could get points from itunes. Wish I had realized it when I bought my ipad. Oh well I'll remember for the new iPod I'll be getting soon.

Edit: I'm also a fan of the new feature where if someone posts a response to a thread while you're composing a response a little window pops up and says "2 new posts. Show?".
I love that.

Let's see if Gravatar has started working again! So here goes....

Well, so it worked when I posted the message, but when I reloaded the page it restored the default, after flashing the Gravatar avatar for a moment. Anthony, thought you'd like to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still getting used to the "Active Content" -type area. Instinctively, right as I pull up the sight, I go straight to the bottom to click on it, only to realize it's now at the top of every page. THAT is a good addition.

I like the new format......clean, bright and I am a fan of change! Thanks Anthony for your continued improvements.

Thanks, haolerider! And thanks to AlanB for helping fine-tune all of the forum system settings since the upgrade.

Jishnu - I'll have to look more into the Gravatar problem, since I've never used that service myself.

I'm not sure if I like the new version better or worse or the same as the old version. It certainly "looks" more modern and more like a real program, so I guess that's a good thing. The main thing I'm noticing lately are that the quote tags have changed slightly. IIRC, they no longer provide their own buffer line after the box of text unless you add a "d" at the end of the tag. Doesn't bother me really, just another habit to change I suppose. The one thing that does bother me so far is that the forum doesn't seem to remember how far I've made it through a thread in the past. That is to say, it knows I'm missing content in a given thread but instead of sending me to the first unread post it just sends me to the beginning of the thread instead. Then I have to either remember where I left off or fumble through each page looking for something I don't remember reading previously. Seems kind of backward compared to how things worked before. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible a setting or flag is flipped the wrong way in some toggle screen or INI file?

I'm not sure if I like the new version better or worse or the same as the old version. It certainly "looks" more modern and more like a real program, so I guess that's a good thing. The main thing I'm noticing lately are that the quote tags have changed slightly. IIRC, they no longer provide their own buffer line after the box of text unless you add a "d" at the end of the tag. Doesn't bother me really, just another habit to change I suppose. The one thing that does bother me so far is that the forum doesn't seem to remember how far I've made it through a thread in the past. That is to say, it knows I'm missing content in a given thread but instead of sending me to the first unread post it just sends me to the beginning of the thread instead. Then I have to either remember where I left off or fumble through each page looking for something I don't remember reading previously. Seems kind of backward compared to how things worked before. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible a setting or flag is flipped the wrong way in some toggle screen or INI file?
I thought this same thing at first as well. Once you click on a thread to read that you know you are somewhere on, rather than reading for the first time, it WILL take you to the first page. Form there, in the upper right, click "go to first unread post" and it will take you the exact one. However, it will only bring you straight there on a thread more than 1 page long. Regardless of your reading and visits to a thread, if it is under 20 replies and on 1 page, it will stay there and you have to scroll down. Hope this helps.

The one thing that does bother me so far is that the forum doesn't seem to remember how far I've made it through a thread in the past. That is to say, it knows I'm missing content in a given thread but instead of sending me to the first unread post it just sends me to the beginning of the thread instead. Then I have to either remember where I left off or fumble through each page looking for something I don't remember reading previously. Seems kind of backward compared to how things worked before. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible a setting or flag is flipped the wrong way in some toggle screen or INI file?
To save a step or two from what Johnny said above: instead of clicking on the thread title, click on the icon next to the thread (the folder or the star), and you'll be taken to the first unread post in the thread.

To save a step or two from what Johnny said above: instead of clicking on the thread title, click on the icon next to the thread (the folder or the star), and you'll be taken to the first unread post in the thread.
Correct!

Furthermore, a very new & neat IMHO feature is the link in the bottom right corner of a thread that you just finished reading that will take you to the very next unread post within that same forum. This will allow one to surf from new post to new post within that forum, rather than returning to the home page for that forum.

The old forum software would take you to the next new topic, but it dropped you at the top of the page, not at the first unread post within that topic. The new software drops you at the first post you haven't read. :)

Hi Anthony,

This is second time I'm writing this, as I Page Back to check nav functionality, and my post text disappeared upon return.

-- In desktop PC full page/screen display running browser Mozilla Firefox 9.0.1 in this new version display cuts off on right, both for static (page) elements and dynamic (post) elements.

Previous version did not suffer that, but scaled to fit.

So now user must engage right browser bar or arrow.

Will this be updated in upgrade v?

-- In Topics with more than 3 pages of Posts, the top double chevron left nav arrow (that on hover displays popup with Topic Title and - Go to first page text ) may look/use better with character numeral 1 display rather than double chevron left nav arrow.

-- Poster/member's Profile Info on left margin of post no longer displays Member Since date.

I liked that feech. Will it be added in upgrade?

-- There's an additional step now to Preview Post.

That's all for now. I need to Post this so I don't lose it again.

NOTE: Edited to remove imported ● bullets; hex dec info displayed rather than bullets,,,

Thanks, but I have no control over any of the things you mentioned. I didn't create this software, nor do I maintain it.

You might want to increase the resolution of your display if you are suffering right-scroll issues in your browser.

Hi Anthony,

This is second time I'm writing this, as I Page Back to check nav functionality, and my post text disappeared upon return.

-- In desktop PC full page/screen display running browser Mozilla Firefox 9.0.1 in this new version display cuts off on right, both for static (page) elements and dynamic (post) elements.

Previous version did not suffer that, but scaled to fit.

So now user must engage right browser bar or arrow.

Will this be updated in upgrade v?

-- In Topics with more than 3 pages of Posts, the top double chevron left nav arrow (that on hover displays popup with Topic Title and - Go to first page text ) may look/use better with character numeral 1 display rather than double chevron left nav arrow.

-- Poster/member's Profile Info on left margin of post no longer displays Member Since date.

I liked that feech. Will it be added in upgrade?

-- There's an additional step now to Preview Post.

That's all for now. I need to Post this so I don't lose it again.

NOTE: Edited to remove imported ● bullets; hex dec info displayed rather than bullets,,,

Back