A New AU??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
I log on after work to see this excellent set up! I was still getting used to the other one!

Thanks for the hard work by the Admins to keep us up to date with the best.

Oh no.. We get warning points!!?? WHat's that about?

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are fast -- I literally just clicked the button. :)

Just a simple software upgrade. That said, there may be bugs lurking so please bear with us.

The avatars still exist, but supposedly with the new software version, there is no longer a difference between a "profile photo" and an "avatar," so depending on how the original image was uploaded and designated, it may or may not show up. You can always re-upload an avatar if it is not displaying correctly. I believe most members' avatars are working correctly.

Thanks.

I say this with the utmost respect, Anthony, but I'm generally not a fan of the new style. It likely comes down to having been on boards using the old style for most of a decade, but I've seen this style and it's never grown on me. Is there some way to switch my display back to the old style?

Good Morning,

So far, the new format looks good.

Thanks to Anthony for keeping the site up to date

and functioning well.

i guess for those of us that are considered "old dogs," it will take a little while to get used to the new format. Thanks, Anthony, for keeping the site updated. I noticed that "date joined" was missing on profiles.

:mellow:

Being an even older "old dog" than the above poster, it's going to take me even longer to get used to the new format. It looks nice, but I do miss the tab at the bottom that could take me to a new discussion.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Anthony.

With anything, it takes a bit of time to adjust to new web layouts so I understand where Anderson is coming from...sometimes I get annoyed when a favorite news site makes a change but then a few days later I'm okay with it.

But so far I like what I see here - I really like the left side-bar option that lets you access new posts by time period (past 24 hours, past week, etc). Maybe that was on the old style but I don't remember it being so easy to access that as it is now.

Thanks to everyone for keeping AU up and running!

And you know its like when they change things around in the grocery store. At first it is a shock and it takes a while to find the usual things and adjust one's routine, but one also finds things they never noticed before. Overall, I'm happy with the new digs.

Hey, who moved my cheese? :giggle:

As a web designer, I know how difficult (impossible!) it is to please everybody, especially on a site that some people are accustomed to use every day.

But on the whole, I like it.

What I like:

• It seems marginally faster.
  • It works better in different browsers.
  • The "view new content" link is much more prominent. I believe it was there before, but I'm sure I'll be using it frequently. Much better than the "watched content" business of the previous version.
  • The mobile theme works better (but see below).
  • It's removed some of the clutter of the old version (although -- not that I ever used it -- I will miss the chuckle I got every time I saw the "Remove My Cookies" link. I always thought it should say "Toss My...")
  • Auto-save!

What I don't like:

• As with the previous version, if I switch to the mobile theme on my phone, it displays the mobile theme from my desktop.
  • And there's a bug in the mobile theme, I think. The "Full version" link does not work on the desktop version (at least in Chrome) which means that I have to go back to my phone and select the full version in order to see the desktop theme again.
  • The post editor is still not great. If there's a way to swap it out for something like TinyMCE, I'd recommend doing that. My company has used TinyMCE for several years now, and it's very stable and very customizable.

All in all, though, it's a welcome improvement. Thanks to Anthony and the moderators for keeping AU up to date.

Unfortunately Gravatar is not quite working in this new setup. Thought y'all might want to check it when yu get a chance. nothing ciritical.

it appears to flash the Gravatar sourced Avatar for a moment and then replaces it with the head silhouette.

Unfortunately Gravatar is not quite working in this new setup. Thought y'all might want to check it when yu get a chance. nothing ciritical.

it appears to flash the Gravatar sourced Avatar for a moment and then replaces it with the head silhouette.
It worked fine for me. Hence my new avatar after my old one went away with the new setup.

:hi: Thanks for the Update Anthony, Looks Great! :) I'll let all the "Techies" discuss all the "Bells and Whistles", but I like the look and all that tech ical talk may as well be in Swahili as far as this old Luddite is concerned! :cool:

The avatars still exist, but supposedly with the new software version, there is no longer a difference between a "profile photo" and an "avatar," so depending on how the original image was uploaded and designated, it may or may not show up. You can always re-upload an avatar if it is not displaying correctly. I believe most members' avatars are working correctly.

Thanks.
Not mine, I can't find it.

I was offline yesterday (had to move my modem and router to a new room), and today I found this new format. Overall, I like it!

Nothing personal to anyone - you can teach an old dog new tricks! Even this old dog is learning some! (Woof, woof!) But like others, I have yet to find the emoticons - or the "bold", "underline", "lists", "font sizes", "colors", etc... If possible Anthony, please fix it or tell us where they are. (I see Jim found them. So if that old dog can find them, there's still hope for us "young uns"!)

Also, on this edit, I do not see a space for the reason for the edit.

Dave - do you see the "smiley face" in the text editor window when you go to post or reply? It is to the right of the font and font size menus.

Leemell - can you simply upload your avatar again? That would solve the issue.

Back