30% bonus on purchased points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the plunge Friday night and punched in for 10,000 Points, and they posted within a few hours. By Sunday morning the 3,000 Bonus Points showed up; so I have no complaints on slow service here.

I bought the 10K on 3/11, they posted 3/12 and the 3K posted on 3/14! :cool:
has anyone yet tried to purchase more that the 10000 points allowed just in case there is a surprise yes answer? Say maybe a week later?
Well I just purchased the last of my buy points for this year's limit. I bet the website goes silent for the next 6 months. If they have another bonus sale :) in a few months with 20,000 or 30,000 points limit things will come back to life ;) .
If you have already bought your 10,000 points can say my sister buy some points for me to add to my total?

I bought the 10K on 3/11, they posted 3/12 and the 3K posted on 3/14! :cool:
has anyone yet tried to purchase more that the 10000 points allowed just in case there is a surprise yes answer? Say maybe a week later?
Well I just purchased the last of my buy points for this year's limit. I bet the website goes silent for the next 6 months. If they have another bonus sale :) in a few months with 20,000 or 30,000 points limit things will come back to life ;) .
If you have already bought your 10,000 points can say my sister buy some points for me to add to my total?
As I understand the rules, only 10,000 points can be brought for one account in a year. It doesn't matter who brought those points, you or someone else, the limit is 10,000 period.

As I understand the rules, only 10,000 points can be brought for one account in a year. It doesn't matter who brought those points, you or someone else, the limit is 10,000 period.
BUT, If she has an AGR account, she can buy points for herself and in the future (or now if she already has enough) can buy you a reward ticket with her points.

I received an e-mail today from Starwood Preferred Guest. They are offering 20% off of their points, which transfer 1-to-1 into AGR. Over there, 10k points is $280, but you can buy 20k for $560. With the AGR offer, that's a two zone bedroom for $825 -- less if you have the rebate and count the credit card points.

Somebody has got to be losing money on this.

I received an e-mail today from Starwood Preferred Guest. They are offering 20% off of their points, which transfer 1-to-1 into AGR. Over there, 10k points is $280, but you can buy 20k for $560. With the AGR offer, that's a two zone bedroom for $825 -- less if you have the rebate and count the credit card points.
Somebody has got to be losing money on this.
How can someone be losing money when I read somewhere that they pay less than a penny a point and sell them for almost 3 cent a point?

If, for example, points.com buys then at a penny each and sells them at three cents, and then I redeem them for an award at six cents each, where does the three cents go?

Better yet, how does the program come out ahead on a difference of five cents on the sell price versus the redemption value?

If, for example, points.com buys then at a penny each and sells them at three cents, and then I redeem them for an award at six cents each, where does the three cents go?
Better yet, how does the program come out ahead on a difference of five cents on the sell price versus the redemption value?
never thought of that. However it does keep the loyal customers interested when thihgs have slowed down. Also it helps with filling empty seats from time to time and boost ridership numbers. Remember sometimes the 6 cent redemtion rates are due to very high buckets rates For example $1300 for a bedroom in a two zone reward. Not to memtion it is a small price for all the free :rolleyes: advertising and information we AGR members give when we ride to others who in turn pay cash for such a wonder experience. You would be surprised the number of people who didn't know :eek: or nrver considered of traveling cross country by train and that they would see how beautiful America is. :) Maybe it's time to slow down and take in the sights that make up our great country.

You would be surprised the number of people who didn't know :eek: or nrver considered of traveling cross country by train and that they would see how beautiful America is. :) Maybe it's time to slow down and take in the sights that make up our great country.
You've got that right - one of the mandatory wedding questions is "What are you doing for your honeymoon", and when I tell them about out WAS-CHI-PDX-SEA-LAX-CHI-WAS trip, they all think that it's an awesome idea, and a few have shown a real interest in planning a similar trip themselves.

never thought of that. However it does keep the loyal customers interested when thihgs have slowed down. Also it helps with filling empty seats from time to time and boost ridership numbers. Remember sometimes the 6 cent redemtion rates are due to very high buckets rates For example $1300 for a bedroom in a two zone reward. Not to memtion it is a small price for all the free :rolleyes: advertising and information we AGR members give when we ride to others who in turn pay cash for such a wonder experience. You would be surprised the number of people who didn't know :eek: or nrver considered of traveling cross country by train and that they would see how beautiful America is. :) Maybe it's time to slow down and take in the sights that make up our great country.
But the thing is that train nuts would give that free advertising even if they paid for all their tickets so they are not actually getting anything for the AGR losses. That argument was used as why they allowed the AGR trips from Omaha to Columbus and guess what, it is gone.

Not so much, if it weren't for AGR I wouldn't be taking this trip for my honeymoon, therefore there wouldn't be all that free advertising from me.

The fact that they charge more for one ridiculously long routing doesn't really factor into it (and really you need to get over it).

You would be surprised the number of people who didn't know :eek: or nrver considered of traveling cross country by train and that they would see how beautiful America is. :) Maybe it's time to slow down and take in the sights that make up our great country.
You've got that right - one of the mandatory wedding questions is "What are you doing for your honeymoon", and when I tell them about out WAS-CHI-PDX-SEA-LAX-CHI-WAS trip, they all think that it's an awesome idea, and a few have shown a real interest in planning a similar trip themselves.
How many points did that cost?

I paid for WAS-CIN (zone border on the Cardinal), I think it set me back about $500 (I bought it a long time ago).

CIN-PDX was a 2 zone bedroom for 30,000

PDX-SEA in business class on the Cascades was 3,000 for each of us (I think!)

SEA-LAX was a 1 zone bedroom for 15k

LAX-CHI was another 2 zone bedroom for 30k

CHI-WAS paid (about $400)

So, for a little under a grand and about 80k points (almost entirely earned through doing things like buying gas and groceries on the AGR card) I get 7 nights on the train, and get to ride 5 LD routes from end to end plus the Cascades. Pretty sweet deal.

I paid for WAS-CIN (zone border on the Cardinal), I think it set me back about $500 (I bought it a long time ago).CIN-PDX was a 2 zone bedroom for 30,000

PDX-SEA in business class on the Cascades was 3,000 for each of us (I think!)

SEA-LAX was a 1 zone bedroom for 15k

LAX-CHI was another 2 zone bedroom for 30k

CHI-WAS paid (about $400)

So, for a little under a grand and about 80k points (almost entirely earned through doing things like buying gas and groceries on the AGR card) I get 7 nights on the train, and get to ride 5 LD routes from end to end plus the Cascades. Pretty sweet deal.
I see. I usually think of a roomette. You are talking a bedroom. I always take coach to cin from rvr for about $50 but since this is a very special time for you I can see where a bedroom would be needed. Congrats. ;)

Back