30% bonus on purchased points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh oh, you mean you'll have to start eating healthy, and exercising? Dang. Do what I did when the doc gives you report you'd rather not hear. Bump up you life insurance, and don't visit the doctor again........ :)

Weird...

I bought 10,000 (+ 3,000 bonus) points on Tuesday. Yesterday (Wednesday) 10,000 posted, but not the 3,000 bonus. They didn't post today either. What gives?

Are promotions like this fairly common with AGR or is this one of those "best deal ever, I'm all in" kinda things?

I'm just asking because I'm looking at putting together enough points for an AGR 2-zone trip next year but I'm a little hesitant to purchase 10K right now. I could break it into 2 buys of 5K each before 4/30 but I'm just wondering if I really need to do that right now.

What do y'all think? :)

Are promotions like this fairly common with AGR or is this one of those "best deal ever, I'm all in" kinda things?
I'm just asking because I'm looking at putting together enough points for an AGR 2-zone trip next year but I'm a little hesitant to purchase 10K right now. I could break it into 2 buys of 5K each before 4/30 but I'm just wondering if I really need to do that right now.

What do y'all think? :)
Last year, there was a 10% bonus. I believe it ran late summer to early fall. This is the best bonus I've seen, which is why I went all in. Last year's promo, I broke up the point buy over several months. Do whatever your pocketbook dictates :)

Ok folks, do you want to save yourself a migraine? This is what happened to me tonight. When I went to purchase the 10,000 points and the site asked what type of credit card you are using, the first choice was "Amtrak Guest Rewards Chase World" so that is the CC I used and each time it said, "invalid credit card number". This perplexed me so much that I spent one hour on the phone with every Chase Rep that this country has, answered numerous times, "what was your doggies name in 1967?" and "what was the kind of car you were driving in 1983" types of questions and wondering why my card wouldn't work. So......I go to Brenda's and we decide to try once more but we clicked on "MasterCard" instead of "AGR Chase World" and wallah!!!!!! :blink: We had our transaction. This is so stupid! I blew almost 2 hours tonight with the stupid AGR site not letting me use the window "AGR Chase World". Did this happen to any of you guys/gals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok folks, do you want to save yourself a migraine? This is what happened to me tonight. When I went to purchase the 10,000 points and the site asked what type of credit card you are using, the first choice was "Amtrak Guest Rewards Chase World" so that is the CC I used and each time it said, "invalid credit card number". This perplexed me so much that I spent one hour on the phone with every Chase Rep that this country has, answered numerous times, "what was your doggies name in 1967?" and "what was the kind of car you were driving in 1983" types of questions and wondering why my card wouldn't work. So......I go to Brenda's and we decide to try once more but we clicked on "MasterCard" instead of "AGR Chase World" and wallah!!!!!! :blink: We had our transaction. This is so stupid! I blew almost 2 hours tonight with the stupid AGR site not letting me use the window "AGR Chase World". Did this happen to any of you guys/gals?
Yeah, I did that last nite. Not the calling Chase for an hour part, but inadvertently picking the default card. 3rd try was the charm, I saw what they were doing to me.

Karma got me anyway, I spent 1/2 hr on the phone with Comcast trying to figure out why the cable modem had lights flashing like a Christmas tree; power cord unplugged. :blink:

And they say the first thing to go is the knees... :p

I called first to ask about some details of the promotion and the rep told me to use the regular card not AGR.

Same thing happened to me Thursday. I tried re-entering my number several times, then phoned Chase to make sure my card was ok and it was. I then tried a couple of more times and then changed from the default "World" card to Master Card and it worked. I believe before Chase took over the AGR card several years ago, it was called World card with another credit card company. Maybe points.com has not updated their information. Yesterday was the first time I had purchased points and I am so excited about it. This forum brought the benefit of purchasing points to my attention. Thanks a bunch!!

:)

This is a known bug with the buy points site. When I tried last year and had the same issue, I called AGR. They told me to just choose the regular (not AGR card) option, then USE my AGR card. It worked AND I got the Chase AGR 2X points I deserved on top of the points I bought.

BTW, I still don't have the 3,000 point bonus yet. I'll wait until Monday to raise the red flag.

When I bought points last year, the same thing happened to me. Then I got smart and chose "MasterCard" - and it went right through!

I didn't buy them yet, as I'm waiting for my credit card to close on the 10th. That way, I can have 1 1/2 months until I have to pay the bill! :ph34r:

I called first to ask about some details of the promotion and the rep told me to use the regular card not AGR.
Is anyone else having trouble with your buy points posting :unsure: ? I brought mine on wednesday but nothing yet. I was concerned. Maybe this promotion was more popular than :blink: anticipated. I still think that removing the limit :cool: for the promotion would be the right thing to do.

My bonus from the 03/05 transaction posted Saturday, but no bonus points from the 03/03 transaction.

03/06/2010 Bonus Buy Points Bonus 150

03/05/2010 Bonus Buy Points 500

03/03/2010 Bonus Buy Points 3,000

The 500 points put me over 50k and I booked a three zone bedroom award LAX-RMT via PDX , CHI and WAS ! (CS, EB, CL, and SM) The 1050 bonus will start me towards my next award.

This is a known bug with the buy points site. When I tried last year and had the same issue, I called AGR. They told me to just choose the regular (not AGR card) option, then USE my AGR card. It worked AND I got the Chase AGR 2X points I deserved on top of the points I bought.

BTW, I still don't have the 3,000 point bonus yet. I'll wait until Monday to raise the red flag.
So I called AGR because my bonus points have not yet posted. They told me it would take up to 6 days after the buy-points post for the bonus points to post. I reminded them about the 72 hours it states on the site. They said that is only for the main points, not the bonus points.

I said others have received all ther points within a few days. He said that doesn't matter and I need to wait to the end of the 6 days before I can call back (which is tomorrow).

Grrrrr.

So I called AGR because my bonus points have not yet posted. They told me it would take up to 6 days after the buy-points post for the bonus points to post. I reminded them about the 72 hours it states on the site. They said that is only for the main points, not the bonus points.
I said others have received all ther points within a few days. He said that doesn't matter and I need to wait to the end of the 6 days before I can call back (which is tomorrow).

Grrrrr.
I'm on the same boat train. Purchased on 03/03/10 & not posted yet. I'll be calling AGR tomorrow, too.

Grrrrr.
I'm on the same boat train. Purchased on 03/03/10 & not posted yet. I'll be calling AGR tomorrow, too.
Just got off the phone with agr and it appears that they are having some problems :blink: with the points posting. I brought my points on this pass wednesday and as of today none of my points have posted. Not the buy points nor the bonus points. :angry:

Grrrrr.
Just got off the phone with agr and it appears that they are having some problems :blink: with the points posting. I brought my points on this pass wednesday and as of today none of my points have posted. Not the buy points nor the bonus points. :angry:
Good news after my call an hour ago :) all my buy points plus bonus points have posted to my account ;) .

My points posted quickly but nothing on the bonus yet. It has been 5 days so far.

I also have 850 points from Hilton Honors that Hilton advises they have sent to AGR,

but AGR has not posted to my account. I have called but still waiting for the points.

My bonus from the 03/05 transaction posted Saturday, but no bonus points from the 03/03 transaction.

my missing 900 point bonus posted this morning

Where are you guys seeing this offer to get the 30% bonus points? I have been wavering but I think I am gonna buy them now so I can get the 5 upgrade coupons.

EDIT: nevermind, found it!

my missing 900 point bonus posted this morning
My missing 3,000 points posted this morning also.

So in the end...

03/02/2010 Buy Points (10K purchased)

03/03/2010 10,000 points posted

03/09/2010 3,000 bonus points posetd

Back