30% bonus on purchased points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you guys seeing this offer to get the 30% bonus points? I have been wavering but I think I am gonna buy them now so I can get the 5 upgrade coupons.EDIT: nevermind, found it!
Just to answer the question in case someone else wonders, it's on the Hot Deals page at the AGR website under "Buy Points".
Just curious -- does the AGR card earn double points for buying miles?

No, because you're not buying them from Amtrak.
You know, I thought we did get 2X on that. But when I looked back to last year, I only got 1X.

It SHOULD be 2X! They are Amtrak points, no matter who they are bought through!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - they show up as "BUY REWARD POINTS(Services and Merchandise)" on my AGR card statement.
You know, that STINKS! I would assume when you use your AGR credit card to buy points through the Amtrak (AGR) site, you ARE purchasing something FROM Amtrak and THUS should get 2X points per $$$ spent.

So I called AGR and they state it is not "Amtrak travel" and thus only gets 1X points. I pointed out to her that I bought meals on the train and I got 2X points and that others have bought from the Amtrak store and received 2X points (or at least I thought they did). She simply repeated what her supervisor told her, that it is not considered Amtrak travel and thus only gets 1X.

I'm miffed. :angry: :angry: :angry: This SHOULD be at 2X! Does anyone else agree? Should we stand outside AGR's headquarters (wherever that is) with pitchforks and flaming torches until this is recitified? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't care that much - as you said, it works both ways. I've started buying my monthly MARC ticket at a QuikTrak machine at WAS because it goes through as "Amtrak" and gets me the extra points (125 points a month isn't too much, but it all adds up!). Amtrak isn't in the busniess of selling points, so it's perfectly understandable that the transaction goes through a third party.

My 10K posted sometime after midnight (3/9/10). So that took 6 days for them to post. Now for the 3K bonus...
Did anyone get the email that tells you that your points have posted? I didn't. I just kept looking each day. When they deviate from normal procedure I think something is wrong.

My bonus from the 03/05 transaction posted Saturday, but no bonus points from the 03/03 transaction.
03/06/2010 Bonus Buy Points Bonus 150

03/05/2010 Bonus Buy Points 500

03/03/2010 Bonus Buy Points 3,000
my missing 900 point bonus posted this morning
My missing 3,000 points posted this morning also.

So in the end...

03/02/2010 Buy Points (10K purchased)

03/03/2010 10,000 points posted

03/09/2010 3,000 bonus points posetd

Ditto for me. same day same thing now if they will raise the limit :p

I guess AGR is catching up. My 3K posted this morning.

03/10/2010 Bonus Buy Points Bonus 3,000

03/09/2010 Bonus Buy Points 10,000

03/03/2010 Purchased points

So when they tell you it may take 6 days, AGR may not be stalling after all.

Thanks. Although the site is customized with the AGR look, if you look at the URL the points purchase is actually being handled by Points.com. So for $275 you get 13,275 points (if using the AGR Mastercard) which is 2.07 cents per point (vs. 2.68 normally).

I'm redeeming 30,000 points for a two-zone bedroom award (SEA-ATL) which prices out at $2218, or 7.39 cents per point.

Thanks. Although the site is customized with the AGR look, if you look at the URL the points purchase is actually being handled by Points.com. So for $275 you get 13,275 points (if using the AGR Mastercard) which is 2.07 cents per point (vs. 2.68 normally).
I'm redeeming 30,000 points for a two-zone bedroom award (SEA-ATL) which prices out at $2218, or 7.39 cents per point.
I'm redeeming two 30,000 two-zone bedroom awards, and two 1,000 special route awards for a multi-cross-country trip in May (62,000 total). The purchase price would have been $4,738, so that equals 7.64 cents / mile. COOL BEANS! :cool:

My bonus from the 03/05 transaction posted Saturday, but no bonus points from the 03/03 transaction.
03/06/2010 Bonus Buy Points Bonus 150

03/05/2010 Bonus Buy Points 500

03/03/2010 Bonus Buy Points 3,000
my missing 900 point bonus posted this morning
My missing 3,000 points posted this morning also.

So in the end...

03/02/2010 Buy Points (10K purchased)

03/03/2010 10,000 points posted

03/09/2010 3,000 bonus points posetd

Ditto for me. same day same thing now if they will raise the limit :p
I have a great idea, AGR could have a held over offer because of popular demand for the month of May with no limit or a limit of say 20,000 points during this 30% bonus offer. :cool: Now that would make a bunch of folks happy :) and that would sell a lot of points to boot. I'm thinking a win win for everyone interested. :cool: What do you think? Is there any way we can influence AGR into doing this? Maybe if everyone emailed them this suggestion we could make a difference. What do you think? :huh:

Aloha

On the 8th I bought enough points to have a sleeper on CS#11. They posted today, and are spent, my First Award travel. :D Watch out Traveler here I come. :p Part of this trip will be my Granddaughter's first overnight sleeper trip.

Interesting to note from all the discussion about how slow to post, that it only takes 3 minutes to remove used points from the AGR listing.

my First Award travel. :D Watch out Traveler here I come. :p Part of this trip will be my Granddaughter's first overnight sleeper trip.
Interesting to note from all the discussion about how slow to post, that it only takes 3 minutes to remove used points from the AGR listing.
Good for you Eric! :cool: She will love you for it! (So I guess anyone can have a good side! :lol: )

My account is still red hot with all the points coming out so fast - and the rails are too, with all my traveling! :p

I have a great idea, AGR could have a held over offer because of popular demand for the month of May with no limit or a limit of say 20,000 points during this 30% bonus offer. :cool: Now that would make a bunch of folks happy :) and that would sell a lot of points to boot. I'm thinking a win win for everyone interested. :cool: What do you think? Is there any way we can influence AGR into doing this? Maybe if everyone emailed them this suggestion we could make a difference. What do you think? :huh:
LOL, you must be smoking some good stuff.

Congrats, Eric. That sounds like a fun trip, especially if your granddaughter's never ridden in a sleeper.

And I would love it if they expanded the limit to 20,000, but I really don't want unlimited buy points. I'd end up borrowing money from everyone I know just to take full advantage of the promotion. "Aw come on Uncle Bob, I can get AGR points for 2.11 cents each if I buy before May." :lol:

I bought on Thursday 3/4. It's Monday 3/8. Nothing posted yet.
Bought points posted yesterday, bonus points posted today.

Points all but gone, booked to leave Chicago on National Train Day to Portland and then to Los Angeles in a sleeper all the way! :)

LOL, you must be smoking some good stuff.
ah come on don't dis me like that. :eek: I don't smoke but I have been known to take a whipth of diesel fuel :blink: from a passing amtrak train. Hey just wishful thinking. ;)

I just purchased the 10k points as the first purchase on my newly acquired AGR Card ... 10k + 3k + 275 + 18k = PHL to LAX with 3 button clicks :) (10k+3k posted within 3 days)

I bought the 10K on 3/11, they posted 3/12 and the 3K posted on 3/14! :cool:
has anyone yet tried to purchase more that the 10000 points allowed just in case there is a surprise yes answer? Say maybe a week later?
Well I just purchased the last of my buy points for this year's limit. I bet the website goes silent for the next 6 months. If they have another bonus sale :) in a few months with 20,000 or 30,000 points limit things will come back to life ;) .

Back